2004 nissan maxima.......problems need help!!!!!! - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2004 nissan maxima.......problems need help!!!!!!
Saturday, October 08, 2011 5:40 PM
Ok I have a 2004 nissan maxima. The car will turn over and die unless I step on the gas pedal while starting it up. Then it will hit 4500 rpm's and level back out and run smoothly?? But as soon as I cut it off car and try to turn it over it acts like its going to start and dies immediatly like flat line. But when I start it up and give a tap to the gas pedal it reves up and levels out and runs smooth without cutting off. We use shell gas from the same station for years so i doubt its bad fuel. This model has no fuel filter to change. Do you guys think fuel pump? If so how can i be sure without taking it to a high priced dealership to have them put it on the computer? Any other opinions on what it might be?

Re: 2004 nissan maxima.......problems need help!!!!!!
Saturday, October 08, 2011 6:38 PM
Early 2004 Maxima's had defective cam sensors. They would screw up idle and make it harder to start when it gets warm. I say sensors because it has two. They are about $65 dollars a piece. I had to repair a 2004 about a year ago with the exact same problem. It was the sensors. I replaced one and it started to idle correctly. Still had problems starting warm. I replaced the other one and it ran like a champ. No problems at all. Good luck.

Saturday, October 08, 2011 8:35 PM
ok one more question please.if i take my car directly to the dealer and have them hook it up to the computer, will that tell me WITHOUT a doubt excatly what the problem is?
Saturday, October 08, 2011 9:22 PM
Not always. It may or may not. It is a 50% shot. If you have a check engine light, then your chances are a lot higher, but I doubt you have a light. You can definitely try and see. No harm can be done... except whatever they might charge you.

Saturday, October 08, 2011 11:36 PM
Oh this Is frustrating!! How hard is it to change the cam sensors? I'm thinking I can save the $100 they would charge me to guess what's wrong and just change them out. If that doesn't work it has to be the fuel pump I would think. I have no warning lights on the dash so I'm doubting they will know without guessingthe same is I will. What do you think? The car doesnt have a hard tine starting just when warm. It's when cold or after being run
Sunday, October 09, 2011 11:48 AM
The cam sensors are not all that hard at all. One is right above on the passenger side, and the other one is below, near the back on the passenger side. Both are black plastic. You will have to remove the plastic cover that is held in with 4 allen bolts i believe. Now I do not remember if I had the remove the intake plenum or not, but I almost want to say I did. removing the intake plenum is the hardest part of all if you do. I can't remember if I did or not, but I gave the car new spark plugs in the process so I know I had to pull it then. (figured I would replace them since they were original and the car had a decent amount of miles) The plenum has about 4 vacuum lines and a couple of sensor hooked into the side of it. You should probably take pictures of every bolt and connection since I get the feeling you are not the mechanic type. Go slowly and you will be set. The cam sensors are both held in with only one bolt and both of the plugs are an oval three prong hookup. Here is a link of what the plugs look like. CLICK ME!!! I honestly can not help a lot more than that. If you do have to remove the plenum... then you are also recommended to replace the intake plenum gasket. It is located right after you pull the plenum (the 6 holes going in the motor to be basic) I would also go ahead and replace the spark plugs at the same time since you are in there. Just 6 more bolts (one for each coil pack) and you can see spark plugs lol.

/end

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search