Snow Tires - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Snow Tires
Friday, October 14, 2011 8:36 PM
I bought some used snow tires off of CL, only two...other two were given to my girlfriend for her car.
These are for my 2007 cobalt, which I currently run Cooper Cs4's on...HORRIBLE tire for wet traction, and are impossible to accelerate on in the winter...
Now question is, should I throw the snow tires on the front to help accelerate some and get traction to even move? Or am I asking for trouble doing that? The car doesn't tend to want to spin at all, but the back will slide if I lock the brakes..typical, has no ABS.

One tire that was given to me is a brand new Dunlop Graspic Ds-2 (which is discontinued), anyone know of a tire I should match to it?

Re: Snow Tires
Friday, October 14, 2011 8:57 PM
IF I RECALL.... You want them on the rear more so than the front even if its given FWD.... I cant remember where or why I heard that. I mean im like you in my thinking, put them on the front for traction and pulling the car around, but for some reason I think you want them on the rear... or hell, get 2 more cheap ones and have them on all 4.

I picked up 4 General Altimax for like $225 for all 4 for my s10... you can get a good deal on that stuff.

Friday, October 14, 2011 9:14 PM
Vince is right, Its always better to put them on the rear because understeer is safer then oversteer, esp in the snow.

Friday, October 14, 2011 9:37 PM
I completely disagree. Sure, putting them on the back will prevent the ass end from spinning out on a turn. But i would rather have that then not being able to turn at all.
FWD car, put them on the front.

Friday, October 14, 2011 9:41 PM
Depends if you're worried about getting hit trying to go, or hitting something trying to stop.

Friday, October 14, 2011 9:55 PM
Neither. Buy two more winter tires.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Friday, October 14, 2011 10:19 PM
AT LEAST some cheap ones. You can get cheapos on steelies at walmart for like $150.

Friday, October 14, 2011 10:26 PM
Tony T Crams wrote:Neither. Buy two more winter tires.

This. Reason being that you want proper traction on all 4 corners. Put them on the rear and you lose traction in the front and also lose front braking traction and reverse for the other way around. This personal opinion. Professional is the best tread to the rear.

Saturday, October 15, 2011 5:02 AM
^ what he said. Used tires are cheap. I got a set of 4 14s on 2g aluminum rims for $150 with about 80% tread left. Tossed them on a set of 14 steelies on the beater and scrapped the rims for $80. I see deals like this all the time
Saturday, October 15, 2011 5:42 AM
I'm not sure if buying 2 more tires are going to be possible. I'm already going to popping off the good cs4's to put on 2 snow tires, I don't have extra steelies for the cobalt, since they are 4 lug and seem hard to come across.
I guess I can do trial and error, I will be driving the car in city traffic and I guess it wouldn't hurt to have traction to get going off a light...

Saturday, October 15, 2011 7:36 AM
SLOCAV wrote:I guess it wouldn't hurt to have traction to get going off a light...

Never hurts to have traction in an intersection.

Saturday, October 15, 2011 9:53 AM
from everything I've read you want new tires or snow tires on the rear no matter if it's FWD or RWD. Reason being is that this will keep your car more stable, the back end isn't sliding around as much. You can have all the traction you want for the front drive wheels but if the back end can't hold the road you're still not going anywhere.

Saturday, October 15, 2011 12:17 PM
LOL @ everyone telling him to put the better tires in the back. I'm sorry but this would be a major fail. It would be so funny if everybody here in canada would do this, this winter. I'd park my cars in back of the house I think.

You want 4 tires of the same set first, then put the better ones up front.
Saturday, October 15, 2011 1:34 PM
gtpsunfire wrote:I completely disagree. Sure, putting them on the back will prevent the ass end from spinning out on a turn. But i would rather have that then not being able to turn at all.
FWD car, put them on the front.

this i only put snows on the front and i only had the back kick out (when i didn't want it to) a handful of times all winter and it is still very easy to bring it back. if you are a competent driver put them on the front. and as a side effect when you want a drift machine you got it
Saturday, October 15, 2011 1:38 PM
i mean what does tirerack know?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/videoDisplay.jsp?ttid=153

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCyiBoTxCao
the end of that video shows perfectly why you put snow tires in the rear.

You have the engine weight over the drive wheels in FWD, that will help you get going. As for stopping, if you have the snow tires in the rear, they will act like an anchor for the car while trying to stop. Therefore you wont spin out as easy when stopping. or taking a turn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, October 15, 2011 1:46 PM

Saturday, October 15, 2011 1:56 PM
those places put those up for liability reasons because understeer is safer then oversteer. i know first hand the difference moving the tires from the back to the front feels like and i would never go back to just snows on the rear. put your tires where you want to maybe try them on the front and then put them on the rear and see which one gives you better performance.
Saturday, October 15, 2011 4:50 PM
I feel like this argument has been done on here....

Saturday, October 15, 2011 6:03 PM
Rosario wrote:I feel like this argument has been done on here....

x2, and the same idiots are participating this go-round it seems.

Saturday, October 15, 2011 10:57 PM
SLOCAV wrote:I'm not sure if buying 2 more tires are going to be possible. I'm already going to popping off the good cs4's to put on 2 snow tires, I don't have extra steelies for the cobalt, since they are 4 lug and seem hard to come across.
I guess I can do trial and error, I will be driving the car in city traffic and I guess it wouldn't hurt to have traction to get going off a light...

This is the worst idea I've ever heard. "Trial and error" in city traffic is potentially endangering you and any other people that happen to be in traffic with you. That being said, if you really insist on driving with only two, I'd put them on the back. The videos above only reinforce the idea. I'd much rather have better grip on the tires I can only control with brakes over the ones I can control with brakes, throttle and steering.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Sunday, October 16, 2011 9:32 AM
Tony T Crams wrote:
SLOCAV wrote:I'm not sure if buying 2 more tires are going to be possible. I'm already going to popping off the good cs4's to put on 2 snow tires, I don't have extra steelies for the cobalt, since they are 4 lug and seem hard to come across.

This is the worst idea I've ever heard. "Trial and error" in city traffic is potentially endangering you and any other people that happen to be in traffic with you. That being said, if you really insist on driving with only two, I'd put them on the back. The videos above only reinforce the idea. I'd much rather have better grip on the tires I can only control with brakes over the ones I can control with brakes, throttle and steering.

I don't drive like the asshats that drive in the city. I hate starting topics on JBO anymore because it is all whining or a little fit.
Also where I live, I won't be going over 30mph, keep my distance and watch my speed unlike the other citidiots that will probably be meeting my rear bumper this winter. At least I've got full coverage!

Sunday, October 16, 2011 9:46 AM
So I want to ask a question and get peoples opinions and factual, useful information.. but because it doesn't agree with what I think, its not right, So instead of doing it the right way I will just do what I think and I am a far better driver then anyone so it won't matter what I do anyway.

all 4 tires should match.. bottom line. if you want to be cheap about it, better tires on the rear, but that is no where near correct approach its just a less idiotic one.

Sunday, October 16, 2011 9:47 AM
In that case, if you really only have two good winter tires put them up front. Traction and stopping is a must.
Sunday, October 16, 2011 9:54 AM
Yeah case closed..
In college and can't afford to piss out more tires and wheels

Sunday, October 16, 2011 5:21 PM
Too bad you're far from me,I have 4 15" Goodyear Nordic's laying in the garage. I'd litteraly give them to you.
Sunday, October 16, 2011 6:04 PM
Well I DID have 4, then the woman wanted 2.......
I might hunt down some if I can find any for cheap again, found 2 back at home, should have grabbed them when I was home this weekend...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search