Chevrolet Small Cars Go Big at SEMA - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Chevrolet Small Cars Go Big at SEMA
Monday, October 24, 2011 1:36 PM
http://www.j-body.org/gallery/sema2011/

LAS VEGAS – Chevrolet’s small cars have a big presence at the 2011 SEMA Show, with tricked-out Sonics and Cruzes showing off the personalization possibilities for a new generation of performance enthusiasts.

Most of the show cars wear conceptual Z-Spec styling enhancements, which are being evaluated for production. Z-Spec is a line of performance, styling, and personalization accessories available at Chevy dealerships.

The Sonic went on sale this fall and the Cruze, while being in the U.S. market for only about a year, has become Chevrolet’s best-selling car and the top-selling compact car in the United States calendar year to date. Both cars offer available factory turbocharged powertrains – with the Sonic offering the only turbo engine in its class.

“The heritage of Chevrolet cars like the Corvette and Camaro is being expressed in smaller packages for the next generation,” said Chris Perry, vice president, global marketing and strategy for Chevrolet. “The Sonic and Cruze concepts demonstrate that performance comes in all shapes, sizes and displacements at Chevrolet.”

As the only factory turbocharged vehicle in its class and aggressive design, Sonic is ideal for customization and performance – and that’s exactly what the distinctive show cars demonstrate at SEMA. Here’s a quick look:

Sonic Z-Spec #1 – Designers took a turbocharged Sonic five-door and dressed it with concept Z-Spec accessories. They added Z-Spec ground effects, a spoiler, unique grille and graphics package – then finished it off with a Torch Red exterior and Z-Spec concept 18-inch wheels. Inside, the Cobalt Red cabin features custom trim, including perforated black suede seat inserts, a Z-Spec sport pedal kit, sport shift knob and a racing-style flat-bottom steering wheel. Additional upgrades include performance brakes with four-piston calipers, a new high-flow exhaust system and performance suspension parts.

Sonic Z-Spec #2 – The next Sonic concept – in Flat White with Torch Red accents – builds on concept Z-Spec accessories with a more aggressive ground effects package, unique grille, rear spoiler and graphics package. It rides on Z-Spec concept 18-inch wheels and also includes a re-trimmed interior with Z-Spec sport pedal kit, Z-Spec sport shift knob and a flat-bottom steering wheel. It also features custom racing seats with the Z-Spec logo. The factory powertrain features the 1.4L turbo engine and six-speed manual transmission. Performance upgrades include brakes with four-piston calipers, a high-flow exhaust system and suspension parts.

Sonic Z-Spec 4D Concept – The more formal look of the Sonic sedan lends itself to a touring car-style motif, which this Ashen Grey Metallic concept picks up with concept Z-Spec ground effects, rear spoiler, grille, “Chevrolet” graphics and larger Z-Spec concept 18-inch wheels. As with its five-door counterparts, this Sonic features a re-trimmed interior – in Dark Titanium with Cobalt Red accents – Z-Spec sport pedal kit, aluminum sport shift knob and a flat-bottom steering wheel (trimmed with Cobalt Red suede). The factory turbo 1.4L engine and six-speed manual transmission are complemented by performance upgrades that include four-piston caliper brakes, a high-flow exhaust system and suspension parts.

Sonic Dusk – The most subtle of the Sonic concepts is the Dusk. It features a Berlin Blue exterior, with a mild concept ground effects package, unique grille treatment and 18-inch concept wheels in dark Galvano Silver. Even the lights are tinted blue for a sophisticated statement. The Mojave leather interior has custom seat inserts, Z-Spec shift knob with satin chrome trim, Z-Spec sport pedals and accessory interior trim kit. The Sonic Dusk also features a suede-trimmed, flat-bottom steering wheel, custom audio system and brake and suspension upgrades.

Chevrolet is keeping a few super-secret Sonics under wraps until the SEMA show, each representing an even higher level of performance and personalization.

Cool Cruzes

A pair of custom Cruze sedans demonstrates what is possible with conceptual accessories and a little creativity.

Cruze Z-Spec – Wearing concept Z-Spec ground effects, 18-inch custom wheels, an accessory spoiler and a high-flow grille, the Cruze Z-Spec has the looks and feel of a taut touring car. The exterior appearance of this Cruze is enhanced with a new stripe package that will be available soon, while on the inside are special seat inserts, a racing-style pedal kit, accessory shift knob and interior trim, as well as a new steering wheel.

Cruze Dusk – Complementing the Sonic Dusk concept, the Cruze Dusk suggests a more subtle and sophisticated approach to personalization, including a mild concept ground effects package, a unique grille treatment and dark-tinted wheels. The interior has custom seat inserts, along with an accessory shift knob, sport pedals, interior trim kit, a suede-trimmed steering wheel and a custom audio system.

See more in the gallery:
http://www.j-body.org/gallery/sema2011/

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Re: Chevrolet Small Cars Go Big at SEMA
Monday, October 24, 2011 1:52 PM
The cruize doesn't look bad, dont like the sonic!

Monday, October 24, 2011 4:34 PM
I wish they had the same bolt pattern as the j's and they actually made the wheel, I would be the first in line to get them.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
~Using nitrous is like having sex with a hot chick with an STD, you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences.~
Monday, October 24, 2011 6:44 PM
I've always loved the Cruz, and the sonic isnt half bad either, but then again Im looking for a commuter, not my main car. The wheels on that White Sonic are @!#$ sweet..

Monday, October 24, 2011 7:14 PM
do you think the sonic is like our j's and the saab. where you would be able to bolt the turbo manifold and turbo from the 1.4L engine onto the 1.8L to get more power out of them. like the saab setup on to our j's.

gilligan
Monday, October 24, 2011 7:25 PM
I like the white one!

Flickr Photostream Facebook Twitter
Monday, October 24, 2011 7:59 PM
isnt this the same crap that was there last year ?

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 4:16 AM
Dave wrote:Cruze Z-Spec – Wearing concept Z-Spec ground effects, 18-inch custom wheels, an accessory spoiler and a high-flow grille, the Cruze Z-Spec has the looks and feel of a taut touring car. The exterior appearance of this Cruze is enhanced with a new stripe package that will be available soon, while on the inside are special seat inserts, a racing-style pedal kit, accessory shift knob and interior trim, as well as a new steering wheel.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 7:47 AM
Mr. Quick wrote:
Dave wrote:Cruze Z-Spec – Wearing concept Z-Spec ground effects, 18-inch custom wheels, an accessory spoiler and a high-flow grille, the Cruze Z-Spec has the looks and feel of a taut touring car. The exterior appearance of this Cruze is enhanced with a new stripe package that will be available soon, while on the inside are special seat inserts, a racing-style pedal kit, accessory shift knob and interior trim, as well as a new steering wheel.

x2 approved

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:24 AM
Damn, that white sonic is hooot!

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Saturday, October 29, 2011 8:34 PM
I love the interior on those concepts as much as I hate the exterior. That sonic looks like a piece of @!#$ egg, VW wannabe. Its sad but as an owner of a Cobalt SS after 5 years and wanting to get something newer they don't have a single car in that category anymore. GM literally has nothing FWD, 2-door and even somewhat performance or sporty oriented. Really the only thing they have with decent thrust for under 30k is the V6 Camaro. Performance is a dirty word at GM now or at least a misused one. Sorry but 1.4L turbo engines aren't progress, my 2002 Cavalier had a better powerband stock. Its sad that I have to look towards used cars no longer made to get what I want or look into foreign brands.

Just make a Cruze Coupe for crying out loud, throw the LNF in there, perfect world. Nicer interior and nicer looks than a Cobalt, put an actual modern transmission in it which would solve the gas mileage and walla you have a much better car than the Cobalt SS ever was. Heck they don't even need to turbo it, just put in a 190HP 2.4 eco in it, at least that would be on par with a Civic Si, I'm sorry but the Cruze just isn't even in the same zip code. Even a Scion Tc is better equipped than anything GM has now in the segment.

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Saturday, October 29, 2011 8:45 PM
lol the sonic i like. the cruze, meh. lose two doors please.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Sunday, October 30, 2011 10:01 AM
Mr. Quick wrote:

I like this!!!

Sad thing is probably wont see anything like this on the dealer floor.

FU Tuning

Sunday, October 30, 2011 2:15 PM
Is it me, or does anyone feel like the modified sport compact era is over? I look at these vehicles, and while they do look nice, I'm like meh.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Sunday, October 30, 2011 3:27 PM
The modified sport compact era is nowhere near over, its just over at GM and pretty much all the other domestic brands for that matter. The only thing Ford has worth buying they wont sell here which is the Focus RS500. Chrysler, they havent had anything since the Neon SRT4 was discontinued.

The other brands are still doing it. Honda still has the Civic Si and theres rumors of a RSX return. Subbies and Evos are still around. Even Kia has a better sport compact with the Forte than anything GM has. Toyota still has the Scion Tc while its uglier its more powerful now and the FT86 or whatever they are calling it is on the way.

Its like the early 2000s all over again. GM has nothing to offer, and everything they do offer is underpowered compared to the competition.

Sunday, October 30, 2011 3:30 PM
A WRX and Evo aren't sport compacts, at least in my opinion.

The Si and Forte have great markets, and there will always be this market, but the aftermarket and general scene IMO is over.

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Sunday, October 30, 2011 4:59 PM
Viper98912 wrote:A WRX and Evo aren't sport compacts, at least in my opinion.

The Si and Forte have great markets, and there will always be this market, but the aftermarket and general scene IMO is over.

I agree on the WRX and Evo part.

I do not think the sportcompact scene is over, and never will be.

I have seen, or noticed a change in my local scene and more people are going or liking domestic's more. More so the V8's and I think that is what we are seeing.

A revolving door.

FU Tuning

Sunday, October 30, 2011 9:04 PM
Its a pretty sad day when Kia has a better sport coupe available

Monday, October 31, 2011 10:39 AM
A Cruze with an LP9 and an F40 would be pisser, but will never happen.

Monday, October 31, 2011 10:46 AM
Only Sonic I really like so far. Fatlace/Rotiform Sonic > the rest

Flickr Photostream Facebook Twitter
Monday, October 31, 2011 11:07 PM
Looks like a 90s honda and theres absolutley nothing good about that

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 6:43 AM
lol how is an evo or wrx NOTa "sport compact" ok maybe more like a "sport midsize" but the sport compact thing is just like basically calling it a "tuner" car anymore.

kids still buy them, do mods to them according to the "sport compact" aka "tuner" world. they are just as much part of that world as a honda civic, eclipse, srt-4, cavalier, etc are.

and as far as the "Scene" goes... the way i see, it goes according to basically what the fast and the furious movie of this year is doing. they have basically taken out the car stuff in place for heist stuff. but if you follow the movies thats where the scene REALLY erupted and now seems to have died out same as the movies, "sport compact" or "tuner" wise anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, November 01, 2011 6:48 AM

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Tuesday, November 01, 2011 8:36 AM
I would say (just me), If it is EPA classified compact or the total length is under 190inchs and has a sporty nature, it's a sport compact. That being said, EVO/ STI are to me sport compact. So I would say the Caddy ATS-V (when it comes out), BMW M3, Mercedes C63 as such. I use the term with the literal definition, not what is popular to describe.
Now the Cobalt SS.... That's a "Sport 'Sub-'Compact."

Rodimus Prime wrote:The modified sport compact era is nowhere near over, its just over at GM and pretty much all the other domestic brands for that matter. The only thing Ford has worth buying they wont sell here which is the Focus RS500. Chrysler, they havent had anything since the Neon SRT4 was discontinued.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=6&i=221417&t=221417#221417
And yes, it will be here very soon.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 9:03 AM
Quote:

And yes, it will be here very soon.

Will be excited only when I see one on the road.
Tuesday, November 01, 2011 10:19 AM
If the sonic actually weighed 1800 to 2000 pounds like its size suggests then it would be a car worth buying.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search