Chevrolet Small Cars Go Big at SEMA - Page 2 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Chevrolet Small Cars Go Big at SEMA
Tuesday, November 01, 2011 3:01 PM
too bad it looks like hell

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 5:55 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:lol how is an evo or wrx NOTa "sport compact" ok maybe more like a "sport midsize" but the sport compact thing is just like basically calling it a "tuner" car anymore.

kids still buy them, do mods to them according to the "sport compact" aka "tuner" world. they are just as much part of that world as a honda civic, eclipse, srt-4, cavalier, etc are.

and as far as the "Scene" goes... the way i see, it goes according to basically what the fast and the furious movie of this year is doing. they have basically taken out the car stuff in place for heist stuff. but if you follow the movies thats where the scene REALLY erupted and now seems to have died out same as the movies, "sport compact" or "tuner" wise anyway.

Sorry Brad the sport compact scene start before FF.

But to for once agree with you. Off what you said the last FF movie was mostly V8's, and off what I said earlier, that would support what you said about the trend following the movie.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 7:17 PM
Maybe I've just outgrown it then and moved on

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Tuesday, November 01, 2011 7:36 PM
Viper98912 wrote:Maybe I've just outgrown it then and moved on

I think a lot of people have.

Where is the link to see of of these cars? Maybe I'm just blind.....

http://www.autotalk.com/pictures/data/1536/medium/2005_Chevrolet_Cavalier_Xtreme_002_autotalk_com_.jpg
Wednesday, November 02, 2011 3:54 PM
More cars, including the Cruze:

Lots more here:
http://www.j-body.org/gallery/sema2011/

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 8:42 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:lol how is an evo or wrx NOTa "sport compact" ok maybe more like a "sport midsize" but the sport compact thing is just like basically calling it a "tuner" car anymore.

kids still buy them, do mods to them according to the "sport compact" aka "tuner" world. they are just as much part of that world as a honda civic, eclipse, srt-4, cavalier, etc are.

and as far as the "Scene" goes... the way i see, it goes according to basically what the fast and the furious movie of this year is doing. they have basically taken out the car stuff in place for heist stuff. but if you follow the movies thats where the scene REALLY erupted and now seems to have died out same as the movies, "sport compact" or "tuner" wise anyway.

Sorry Brad the sport compact scene start before FF.

But to for once agree with you. Off what you said the last FF movie was mostly V8's, and off what I said earlier, that would support what you said about the trend following the movie.

i never claimed it did... however, it DID blow up real big AFTER the release of the first movie and thereafter.

and yea, not that there is a damn thing wrong with V8/muscle cars etc. i am definitely a fan but it just gives off the vibe.. at least in my opinion that "ok we listened to all the people making fun of us for having this "tuner" cars on our movies so lets follow the "norm"".

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Thursday, November 03, 2011 5:35 AM
Dave wrote:
I like this. I'm actually considering getting one of these as a commuter. Looking forward to seeing the final MPG ratings on these. With the Cruze Eco coming in with a 42 rating, I'm curious what a Sonic gets with the 6 speed manual.

Thursday, November 03, 2011 6:28 AM
Quote:

i like this alot

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Thursday, November 03, 2011 2:29 PM
Mr. Quick wrote:
Dave wrote:
I like this. I'm actually considering getting one of these as a commuter. Looking forward to seeing the final MPG ratings on these. With the Cruze Eco coming in with a 42 rating, I'm curious what a Sonic gets with the 6 speed manual.
EPA rated...29City/40HWY.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Thursday, November 03, 2011 6:21 PM
Six-speed?! Leave it to GM to be late to the game.. as always. I like the Sonic, a lot. That's probably because, like stated before, it looks like a Volkswagen rip-off and I LOVE the GTi, but it's whatever. It's like combining my love for GM and my love for hot hatches. The Cruze should have come with a coupe option.. I'm stunned that it's not even a possibility.

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Thursday, November 03, 2011 6:28 PM

Not bad looking but whats really the difference between it and the cruze? Cruze is nice looking too but they both have the same problem, an underpowered engine.

Sunday, November 06, 2011 4:53 AM
^^ Truth. If you want wheels and a body kit you can buy a base model and DIY. Matt I agree with everything you've said in this thread. Its a sad state of affairs in GM's line up for those of us looking for a 4-cyl coupe.

Sunday, November 06, 2011 6:58 PM
Rodimus Prime wrote:

Not bad looking but whats really the difference between it and the cruze? Cruze is nice looking too but they both have the same problem, an underpowered engine.

Its only under powered if its intended to be a more than what it really is. Its not designed to be a balls out race car, its a @!#$ cheap grocery getter. 138 HP is only a few shy of what the last Cavalier made. Guess what, the cruze fills the same spot that the cavalier did.

Sunday, November 06, 2011 6:59 PM
Yeah but the cruze weight over a quarter ton more than the cavalier did.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Sunday, November 06, 2011 7:20 PM
Viper98912 wrote:A WRX and Evo aren't sport compacts, at least in my opinion.

The Si and Forte have great markets, and there will always be this market, but the aftermarket and general scene IMO is over.

The scene isn't "over". Not nearly. What you're seeing is that all of us that own a compact and love modding & all things fast have weathered the storm of ricers, F&F retards, cash grab companies, and a flooded market. And now that the storm is over, the things we're left with are companies making quality parts for deserving new cars, putting real R&D into they're parts, and small shops that specialize in one brand, an aspect of compact tuning, or a small range of cars.

There is less aftermarket in general, but what are you missing about the flooded market we had? APC? Guys like IZNTRBL? Ultra boss combat evo body kits? Riced out Geo Metros?

I could go on, but you get the idea.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Monday, November 07, 2011 7:15 AM
I don't know if I can ever understand the argument of an economy car being under powered. You might as well argue about a dually that gets bad MPG.

Monday, November 07, 2011 7:55 AM
But GM has shown they can get the same gas mileage with a more powerful engine. I mean if the engine has the same mounts it takes minimally more work to put it in, might as well offer it as an option.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Monday, November 07, 2011 8:25 AM
^ Bingo.

Monday, November 07, 2011 9:04 AM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:
Mr. Quick wrote:I like this. I'm actually considering getting one of these as a commuter. Looking forward to seeing the final MPG ratings on these. With the Cruze Eco coming in with a 42 rating, I'm curious what a Sonic gets with the 6 speed manual.
Yeah, I found an article somewhere the day after I posted that with the predicted ratings. I was disappointed. If the Cruze can get 42, I expected this to get a few more. Although for the price point, this is still a good choice for a commuter, I think I'd rather have the larger car if the MPG is no better.

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 5:31 AM
29/40 10 years later...is that really that good with better engine management and a 6 speed i have little doubt an eco cav could exceed that

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 7:15 AM
Mr. Quick wrote:
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:
Mr. Quick wrote:I like this. I'm actually considering getting one of these as a commuter. Looking forward to seeing the final MPG ratings on these. With the Cruze Eco coming in with a 42 rating, I'm curious what a Sonic gets with the 6 speed manual.
Yeah, I found an article somewhere the day after I posted that with the predicted ratings. I was disappointed. If the Cruze can get 42, I expected this to get a few more. Although for the price point, this is still a good choice for a commuter, I think I'd rather have the larger car if the MPG is no better.

The Cruze gets the 42MPG rating because the it has the low rolling reistant tires, active aero shutters, and belly aero mods. But Sonic has the same 6th gear ratio, but with also a taller final drive than the Cruze Eco, combine that with a set of L-R tires and with its 200-300lbs lighter weight, I am willing to bet you will pass the Eco Cruze's 42mpg rating. Sonic has potential in that dept.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 9:53 AM
Viper98912 wrote:Maybe I've just outgrown it then and moved on

^^ That. The aftermarket is far from over, believe me. But at the same time as you grew up, the industry evolved.

Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:But GM has shown they can get the same gas mileage with a more powerful engine. I mean if the engine has the same mounts it takes minimally more work to put it in, might as well offer it as an option.

Its all about money. It would take more R&D work, more road testing, more emissions standards to pass. For what, a few thousand additional sales? Its not worth it, not by a long shot. And consider the consumer end. Offering more powerful engines puts the car in a different category for insurance companies. That makes the car more expensive for a consumer in the long run. It just doesn't make any business sense to attempt to put a more powerful engine in a car that was not meant to have it in the first place.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 11:29 AM
Copter wrote:I don't know if I can ever understand the argument of an economy car being under powered. You might as well argue about a dually that gets bad MPG.

ok thats fine then they need to stop selling them as bad ass "fast looking tuner" cars and make them into the bland, plastic hubcap wearing, no spoiler having, pos's they really need to be.

basically, in a nutshell... gm wants to sell cars that get good mileage but only LOOK like they go fast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, November 09, 2011 11:31 AM

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Wednesday, November 09, 2011 12:38 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:ok thats fine then they need to stop selling them as bad ass "fast looking tuner" cars and make them into the bland, plastic hubcap wearing, no spoiler having, pos's they really need to be.

I think you are confusing a tuner car with a sports car. They are not the same thing. Most tuner cars for the last few decades began life as small low powered commuter cars.

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 12:49 PM
The Jew wrote:
Quote:

i like this alot

i would like to see this with a turbo setup

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search