2004 Grand Prix GTP Comp-G progress thread - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2004 Grand Prix GTP Comp-G progress thread
Monday, October 24, 2011 4:26 PM
I had another thread that had both cars in it, but since I am actually starting to mod the basics of the Grand Prix, I thought I should make its own thread. The car is a 2004 GTP Comp-G. It is fully loaded minus monsoon and sunroof. It has heated leather, Heads up display, 6 speaker audio system, Driver Information Center, and a few other goodies. Also being that it is a Comp G ( WS6 ) it has these too..

1. Tap Shift
2. Magnasteer II
3. HUD
4. Performance Tuned Suspension
5. Light weight Machined Finished 10 spoke wheels (could be upgraded to 5 spoke wheels Curved Chrome in 04 and Polished 5 spoke wheels in 05)
6. Red Brake Calipers (brakes are the some of all 04+ GP)
7. Stabilitrak Sport
8. Competition Group badge on the trunk under the GTP badge PN 10342485
9. Comp G badges on the doors (late 04 and all 05's have these) PN 10350911
10. 3.29:1 final gear ratio
11. P225/55VR17 Performance Tires
12. 5 button DIC
13. 142 top speed limit (126 for GTP's without Comp G)

Eventually, I am looking at getting a ZZP Tune, Modular Pulley setup, and I/H/E, and maybe a XP Cam, they can get pretty nasty, and those parts aren't really that expensive.

ANYWAYS, I have done a few mods so far, It was bone-stock when I bought it. I have had the windows tinted, tails tinted ( still doing third brake light ), I ordered another HID kit, same as the cavalier ( DDM Raptor ), Installed my Pioneer 3200DVD, my Picasso 4ch. and Mono amps, 13" JL W6. I will have more mods as I go along, I will post up the pics when I get the HIDs in and also yellow HIDs for the fogs.

Here are some pics I just took of the progress, enjoy !

Re: 2004 Grand Prix GTP Comp-G progress thread
Tuesday, October 25, 2011 10:24 AM
Hate your audio install man.

Still a decent car tho, and please be smart with the whole ZZP tune, I'd strongly suggest other routes.

Want hub spacers rear disk brackets or trailing arm bushings? Shoot me a PM.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 10:36 AM
Just out of curiosity, what is it about the audio install that you don't like? The Wires? The amps? The Sub? The Weight? or something else? It is ALL the stuff out of the cavalier, so all I bought was the steering wheel adapter, wiring kits, harness and was able to put all of it in the car and I have ilke 1200 bucks in the amps, sub, box, and head unit so I kept them from that car. So I am happy with what I spent, and it makes plenty of power for me and the amps have been reliable for a long time 760x4 rms and 900x1 rms, but I dont have it up that loud, its pretty clear and I have had full JL / Alpine / Kicker setups before, and I haven't noticed a drop off, all the amps do is provide power, and they provide plenty consistently.

ZZP Is the option I have heard about, and seems popular on the Grand Prix Forums, but I have also heard of the same issues, it wont be until summer that I do anything besides maybe an intake since I cant have the car down at all. I appreciate your input Jeffie and I think we should still have gay sex sometime soon.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 10:41 AM
System looks unfished the way it sits, other then that no problem with it

ZZP tunes are popular on the GP forums because most people their don't have a clue. They just order and go. Tho there are a few very good tuners hiding on that forum that keep to themselves for the most part.

Come out here for a visit we can get your car done up in a day, and all the sex you can take with free reach arounds. A real win win situation

Want hub spacers rear disk brackets or trailing arm bushings? Shoot me a PM.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11:54 AM
i gotta buddy here in AZ with a 11 second GTP. built and tuned himself. i know a few others that have daytonas, and even a few more with the COMP-G's they are nice a quick with the right work.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 12:12 PM
Nice Jeff. Looks good man. Thinking about one of these for the wife

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 12:29 PM
like all about the car except the audio ( im more of a go go person than a audio person myself) and the wheels hateeeee the wheels

but overall good lookin ride

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 1:32 PM
Nice progress, I just can't like the front or rears of these. I don't know what it is.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:30 PM
Nice car, see if you can find the silver grill inserts though...

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 4:51 PM
Karnage wrote:e 760x4 rms

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA holy @!#$ that better be a typo, and not just solid ignorance/bs. God that number is wrong, bub.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 5:37 PM
Jeffie, thanks man. I wouldnt mind coming out there when I have the cash to come out and pay for the mods, but I will keep that in mind for sure. I will probably put some loom around the wires at some point, but I dont have any at the moment laying around. I couldnt make a setup that took too much room, as I still need access to the trunk as its our bigger car so its used for getting the groceries and stuff like that.

Chris, I think they are really nice cars, its a big jump going from having 3 cavs as my only newer cars, to something with heated leather, HUD, etc. Its really nice, I would love to get this thing in the 11's, but I am gonna have to start working and finish my degree before I can start worrying about an 11 sec. car, but from what I see it only takes a couple grand to get it there, and it still has low mileage, so I wouldnt be too worried.

Mike, thanks buddy! I think she would love it, its a great car. My mom has a 2004 GT2 in Gunmetal, and its loaded with the same stuff minus the S/C and suspension upgrades. might be worth looking into if she doesnt care about having the extra 80hp.

Jason, the car is heavy as it is, so its not adding much weight to have the sub, and really helps the sound quailty. The sub is down most of the way and its really just there to get better lows when listening to metal lol. It was easier to install then try to sell the sub and amp.

Copter, I can appriciate that. It is not everyones cup of tea. I have just always liked GTPs and my mom has an 04 GT and my wife had a 97 GT, and I liked the GTPs but not the body style of the 97-03, so an 04+ GTP was a good choice, but when I found a comp-g that are fairly rare, I had to pick it up.

Daniel, I JUST started looking at the Grand Prix for sale forums, so I am finding out about things like the silver SPO grilles, SE lip kits, and some things like that. So I am starting to find more subtle upgrades such as those. Thanks!

Dustin... You are the one that told me to buy the amp. I am just saying what is on the side of the amp, its exactly what it said. I am not concerned with wattage, I only put the amps in there because I already had them, so I really do not care either way what it is, I have not measured it with any special instruments, or done calculations to figure out what it puts out, I can only tell you what it says. It could be 100x4 and I would be fine as its all on stock speakers. I just installed the cavalier stuff into the Grand Prix because its my new car and I am a full time student and not buying audio for two cars, Here is the link for the 4 channel amp

Here is a link to specs

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 5:44 PM
and I figure you know its 4 channel amp with 760w total wattage. I meant 760 / 4, I guess I see what you mean, but I thought you would know what I meant. Its obviously not 3040 watts RMS. lol

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 6:32 PM
hahaha jesus, glad you corrected it. Don't make me go finding links for you lol. I saw the 760X4 and nearly @!#$ myself haha. I could see a few ways, without more money or material, to clean that install up, but if you're happy, it's not my car/wiring so I'll grit my teeth and deal with it.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 7:19 PM
And because I'm bored and felt like looking it up again, it's 120 watts per channel

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 7:27 PM
I know, I linked you to it in my previous post lol. Its on that Amazon link in my previous reply. Like I said, I will probably clean it up eventually and wrap it up. Its my DD, and I have been busy with school, its not like its a huge eyesore, I have seen a lot worse installs, its basic, but efficient and there aren't wires all over the place. So I am pretty happy, and I will see what happens in the future. Anyways, thanks for recommending the amp in the first place, it has been good to me and is plenty loud and clean for listening to music and podcasts.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 10:27 AM
god i love GTPs. Decently quick for a tank, yet comfortable as hell. and theyll drive thru a new england winter no problem.

Thursday, October 27, 2011 1:03 AM
nice car, but hide your amp wires!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search