Quad powered Chevette? - Page 10 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Quad powered Chevette?
Wednesday, October 23, 2013 3:46 AM
Any progress on the vette?

Friday, October 25, 2013 8:03 AM
Still working on it, slowly. The GTO needed a new radiator (should be getting it tonight) so I've been playing with that in my free time.

I have a grocery list of parts to pick up, and when cash comes in for the project I'll pick them up a piece at a time. Focus right now is to finish up this second LD9 and get it swapped into my beater Cav before winter.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Monday, December 16, 2013 6:24 PM
Those still following, the project hasn't died. Just hibernating. lol

Oil pump for the LD9 just showed up today, so now I have all the parts for that rebuild. That means the W41 is still in the Z24. The brakes also went out on it on the way back from picking it up, so it's not filling it's role as my winter beater either

The new intake manifold for the RWD W41 also showed up today. It's an aftermarket Nissan 240 intake. I'll be dropping it off, along with a donor Quad 4 intake, to get welded up. Then some polishing inside and out to clean it up.

Funds are low, and time is short...... but it's still getting worked on.

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 3:58 PM
glad to see some update.

Saturday, January 11, 2014 12:37 PM
Anything worthy of an update?

Friday, February 14, 2014 10:33 AM
Picked up some more parts for the project.

EcoTec 4-2-1 header off eBay

ARP 2.3 Head Studs, FlyWheel Bolts, and Walbro fuel pump from Karo

And a Custom KY (WC T5 Spline, J-body Diameter) clutch from Aaron @ TTR

Possibly order up Gauges and a few other parts yet this week.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 11:01 AM
Few more updates......

Gauge cluster

Carbon Fiber cut from the old SPDRCRZ trunk lid

Mock-up Engine

Header clears the water pump. Intake clears the alternator

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 5:31 PM
Looking good Brian,

Is there a chance you'll have it out this summer?

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 6:02 PM
Nice update, where are the gauges from? I've not seen those yet.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 9:28 PM
I'm hoping to have it on the road sometime this year. My body guy said he should have room in his shop for it in the next two weeks, so that's good at least.

The gauges (center gauge) is a universal ATV/Motorcycle unit. Speedo is a magnetic pickup, that can be set for different tire sizes. The Tach is adj for two cycle or 4. Has a built in fuel level sensor that can be setup for 100ohm or 500ohm sending unit, a coolant temp gauge, right and left signal, high beams, and a low oil pressure light. The two smaller gauges are ProSport EVO gauges (actually the Oil Pressure one is a knock off "DragonGauge" that I purchased on accident). Left is water temp, right oil pressure.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 3:22 AM
Any more info on the center gauge?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 12:42 PM
Here's the link to one on Ebay.

I found an auction that had directions on how to change all the settings.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 1:24 PM
ohh I like that coolant pipe above the intake runners. that will look nice and clean.

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Wednesday, March 26, 2014 3:06 PM
I was trying to make it as clean as possible, since it pretty much has to come up over the top someplace. Fashioned from the same meterial I've used for open dump on wastegates.... stainless handicap shower/bathroom railings.

I was thinking about using chrome railing, to match/offset the chrome header...... I just had this section left over from my last turbo build.

Thursday, March 27, 2014 9:23 PM
Nice updates and like the gauge setup as well.Good stuff

Saturday, March 29, 2014 12:29 AM
Awesome build man. Joined up as I have a question or two. I just dropped an L61 ecotec into my 84 acadian, aka chevette. I noticed you are going to run s10 gear. I have a 8.5 zq8 rear diff for my car, and was planning a front spindle swap as well. I'm to busy with the engine side of things and was wondering if you have got the front spindles in? I'm at the point where I have to decide whether to build an oil pan or build a new crossmember. If the s10 gear bolts into the front, then I'm building a oilpan. If the s10 front end is too different, well it don't matter, it's going in either way. Then I do a crossmember. Any help would be appreciated. Since I'm on the j-body forum, anyone know if an m80 charger from a 3.8 buick will bolt onto an lsj intake? Thanks. Steve
Saturday, March 29, 2014 3:11 PM
I haven't tackled my front suspension yet, but I do have a majority of the parts. The S10 knuckles/spindles are pretty much a bolt in to the Chevette control arms. The only thing needed is a ball joint adapter sleeve, which you can pick up pretty cheaply.

Copied from a Chevette forum
S10 hub swap
"The stock Chevette upper ball joint bolts in.
The lower ball joint is a stock Chevette ball joint with Vega ball joint adapters that slide over the shaft of the ball joint giving it the correct cone width of the s10 ball joint. You can get the kits on v8monza.com for $62 and change.

This allows for a whole host of brake options from stock 10.5" Camaro/S10 brakes, 12" C4 brakes all the way to 13" and 14" C5/C6 brakes. To use the Corvette brakes all you need is a ground down s10 rotor hub, a caliper adapter, and the proper brake line much easier than modded late 60's drum hubs and a lot meatier as well. The spindle from the S10 has been proven to the take the abuse as well."

The knuckles from a '98+ S10 Blazer can also be used, they have the newer sealed wheel bearing/hub.

As far as the S/C question, no clue. lol

Sunday, March 30, 2014 10:56 AM
Awesome info man, thankyou. I'm going to track down this chevette forum.
Monday, March 31, 2014 3:36 AM
That is freaking sweet info to know.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, April 01, 2014 12:40 PM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:I was trying to make it as clean as possible, since it pretty much has to come up over the top someplace. Fashioned from the same meterial I've used for open dump on wastegates.... stainless handicap shower/bathroom railings.

I was thinking about using chrome railing, to match/offset the chrome header...... I just had this section left over from my last turbo build.

bahahahahaahahaha that is freaking awesome. epic idea!

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Tuesday, April 01, 2014 9:32 PM
Heads up man, I tried my s10 spindle today. Both ball joints and tie rod end have different size tapered studs. The chevettes are all smaller. Plus the outer tie rod end mount on the knuckle is 2 inches longer on the s10 spindle. so prep to move the steering rack forward, or deal with lots of ackerman. Throws a kink into both of our projects. I'll search for a better solution, but I'm stuck building a subframe for s10 gear. Maybe I'll roll 4 lug, screw it! Steve

Wednesday, April 02, 2014 1:25 AM
I did notice the steering arm was longer, but since I'll be running a PS rack, I had already planned on spacing it out a little. I haven't compared the S10 ball joints to see if either could be used on a Chevette control arm, or if the S10 tierod ends could be used. I've seen the S10 knuckle used several times though, so maybe it's been changed over the years?

There are a couple other options:

84-87 Fiero hub/rotor (5x100), redrilled for 5x120

Corvair with custom bearing/bearing spacer/sleeves (5x120)

Or my own idea of '88 Fiero knuckles with adapters to fit '98+ Blazer hubs. This ones still an idea half concocted in my head and on paper.

Saturday, April 05, 2014 10:42 PM
I just remembered this thread... I've got an '82 Shovette that I'm trying to make a decision on what to swap into it lol, i need to find somethin cheap though cause I'm still in high school and only have a part time job, so money is tight

Anyways, I was gonna mention the Fiero sharing lots of front end stuff but I guess you beat me to it. Would it be worthwhile to use fiero suspension, since it was based on the Chevette and woul be nearly bolt on, or would it be too similar to be considered an upgrade?
Sunday, April 06, 2014 3:47 AM
Basically the only difference between the two (other than 4 vs 5 lug) is the shock location and brakes. The Chevette shock bolts to the upper control arm and up to the inner fender, Fiero to the lower control arm and up to the frame/inner wheel well (84-87) and lower control arm up to cross member ('88). The Fiero cross member is also wider (I believe 2"?) so that part isn't a direct bolt in.

On mine I'm adapting to '88 Fiero "style" control arms and shock location, so I can run coil overs. I haven't found out yet if '88 control arms "bolt in".

Sunday, June 08, 2014 5:43 PM
Hey Brian, how you makin' out?
Did you get your problem figured out?

Mikey G

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search