Quad powered Chevette? - Page 5 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Quad powered Chevette?
Thursday, August 30, 2012 5:31 AM
LOL. Have none of you guys ever seen a green flight jacket? Olive with orange lining. It's the first thing that came to mind when you said those are the colors you picked!

I'm anxious to see this thing come together. Great project.

Re: Quad powered Kadett?
Thursday, August 30, 2012 5:36 AM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:Torn on which front I should run with.....
Stock with the bumpers shortened and tucked.....
I like this look, but I'd smooth the bumper right out, and throw some billet inserts to the main grill.

Friday, August 31, 2012 12:47 PM

With this color underneath.

You wouldn't be able to see it just looking at it, unless you were on your belly. And if you're looking, my guess is you want to see something. It would just be the upper and lower control arms and subframe anyway. Maybe swaybar. Oh, and calipers. lol.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Friday, August 31, 2012 2:32 PM
Green doesn't look that bad actually. I think the orange is what threw me off.

Friday, August 31, 2012 4:31 PM
Come on people what do you mean no green, It's a " team green" car. Love that your keeping with the American made vehicles!

USACi =>146.9db
14.88 @ 90.73MPH =>GM Charger, Motor Mounts, Catback exhaust
Thursday, September 06, 2012 7:36 PM
Looks like I'm not the only one who thought orange would look good....

Found this on a German (?) forum

Thursday, September 06, 2012 9:08 PM
So just going to follow the geman's then are we?

Friday, September 07, 2012 8:40 AM
Well, Opel is German....... although the T-body is Japanese..... lol

Saturday, September 15, 2012 6:16 PM
A little bit of an update.

Picked up a Metro brake booster a few weeks ago, and just got around to modifying my N-body master cylinder to bolt up to it. Had to slot the holes on the master slightly. Used a large o-ring to seal the master to booster, now just need to make a extension for the pushrod in the booster. There is about an inch of travel before it contacts the plunger in the master.

Also picked up an S10 rear axle last night. 3.41:1 ratio, not ideal, but easy enough to change. As soon as I pull the chevette axle, I can get the brackets cut off the chevette axle and welded onto the S10 axle. Then the front suspension and rear axle can get sent off to get blasted and powder coated. Just need S10 spindles and hubs, brakes, a T5 Trans, and get a drive shaft shortened up. Then I can finish pulling the drivetrain out, have the floors cleaned up and fixed, and start fitting the new drivetrain and suspension. Might have to throw my 17" enkie "winter" wheels from the GTO on it till I can find/afford wheels for it. lol

Friday, September 21, 2012 9:25 PM
Just got home..... 5 hour round trip to pick up my new transmission.

1352-247
GM 1996 Camaro/Firebird V6 WC
26T Input
1st 3.75
2nd 2.19
3rd 1.41
4th 1.00
5th 0.72

Got a killer deal (hence why I went for the drive) on it, now depending on my brother and the W41, I have the complete drivetrain (minus drive shaft).

Just need to make some sort of adapter to bolt the WC Trans (ford bell housing bolt pattern) to the NWC (chevy bell housing pattern) Quad4 bell housing. Shouldn't be to big of a deal, the top bolts will be fine, just something for the two lower.

Here's a shot of the engine I'm hoping to snag from my brother's Z24 (was the engine in our T/G drag car)

Friday, September 21, 2012 10:27 PM
Sweet

Saturday, September 22, 2012 12:29 PM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:Just need to make some sort of adapter to bolt the WC Trans (ford bell housing bolt pattern) to the NWC (chevy bell housing pattern) Quad4 bell housing. Shouldn't be to big of a deal, the top bolts will be fine, just something for the two lower.

Browell Bellhousing
Bill's Auto Fab
McLeod Bellhousing
Lakewood

Sunday, September 23, 2012 5:57 PM
I have a T5 Quad4 bell housing (not sure if thats what you thought I was looking for, not that any had anything Quad related), and the only site that i found an adapter on was the McLeod one, but I'm not about to pay another $260 for a piece of aluminum.

The Quad housing I have fits over the input shaft and tube, just need to drill 2 new upper holes in it and tap them, working on something for the two lower ones.

Monday, October 01, 2012 6:55 AM
So I made a cardboard template of the adapter needed to mount the bellhousing to the Trans

I emailed the photo to my father who has access to the proper equipment (and personnel).
Two days later I picked this up from him (forgot to take a pic of it by itself)

Here's the powertrain assembled for mock-up, to get the bell housing clocking correct (used a level on the LD9 oil cap to get the orientation of the engine how I wanted it, and the Trans at 0*)

And here it is all bolted up after drilling the holes in the adapter and bell housing.

Not to bad from just an emailed pic!

Next to tackle is getting the stock rear end out (bolts seized in bushings), and pulling the stock engine and Trans.

Monday, October 01, 2012 7:06 AM
Oh, and I need to find a clutch......

Size:
8.5" disc OD.
1 1/8" spline ID
26 teeth

The 3.8 Camaro clutch is 10" OD..... Would like to find an "off-the-shelf" option to keep my costs down......

Monday, October 01, 2012 7:20 AM
The closest I've found so far:

'96-00 4cyl. S10
9.13 in. x 26T x 1.13 in

Monday, October 01, 2012 7:44 AM
Might want to Look into clutches for an MG only thing wrong is 1" not 1 1/8".....Your text to link here...

I'll see if I can find more.

look into 1985 benzo 190e clutch kits, 1 1/18 26 tooth and I've found 7 7/8th's and 8.5" discs.

Your text to link here...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, October 01, 2012 8:06 AM

Monday, October 01, 2012 1:28 PM
Thanks for the help! I think I'll order that one off RockAuto, $80 shipped for the clutch disk. At the very least, it'll get me on the road!

1986 MERCEDES-BENZ 190E 2.3L L4 DOHC
8-1/2" diameter
1.125" Spline diameter
26 tooth

Friday, October 05, 2012 7:53 AM
lol chevfrankenvette!

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Friday, October 05, 2012 8:23 AM
lol

While the chevette looks good from the doors up, the rockers and underside are rusted out pretty badly..... been searching CL for a better body to start with. Problem is scraping the cash up to buy another shell. I'm pretty sure I can sell most of the parts I don't need from the two to fund the new shell. Will have to think about it over the weekend, maybe get my sheetmetal guy over to look at it and see what he thinks.

On another note, I'll have the old engine and trans out today. Got the stock rear axle out yesterday. If I do decide to junk this shell, I'll pull all the glass, doors, hood, fenders..... Interior is all out, besides the lower dash and steering wheel/column.

If I do get a new shell, everything will be pretty much drop in. I'll get all the brackets cut off the stock rear and welded to my new rear. Front suspension will get stripped down, blasted, and powdercoated, reassembled with new bushings. I can get the new engine and trans mocked up in this shell, so mounts will be done and ready.

So yea, might be a slight delay, depending if I scrap this shell or not. I have found a few 'nice' ones on CL, some of the prices are a bit high, but from what I can tell from the ads and pics, they are in better shape than mine.

Monday, October 08, 2012 10:00 AM
honestly i wouldnt bother with a new one man. you can always fix it down the road if its that big of a deal. or hell, find a mint shell and swap everything over if you like. but the way i see it its a perfect platform for a completely custom drivetrain setup.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.

Monday, October 08, 2012 5:12 PM
Spent a few mins out on it today.....

Just like I had planned, the shifter location is moved back about 6" (reason I went with the F-body T5 instead of S10).
Should place the shifter in the perfect spot.

Tomorrow I'll shove the LD9/T5 in there and see how everything lines up.

My body guy is going to come look at it and see how hard it's going to be to patch up.

Tuesday, October 09, 2012 1:57 PM
Slipped the LD9/T5 into place. Needs to be centered, and moved forward a tad, buts in there.

The engine mounts to the suspension cross member, so I guess that's next on the list. Get it torn down, blasted, and PCd.

Tuesday, October 09, 2012 2:07 PM
and I thought what I was building was unique haha,
sweet project!, Definately will be watching this one
Tuesday, October 16, 2012 1:07 AM
Making good progress. No matter how cheap or slapped together it is, I hope you get the time to paint the bay and get the rest of it squared away. Otherwise looks real good and looks like great progress made.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search