2012 Hyundai Sonota SE - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2012 Hyundai Sonota SE
Monday, November 14, 2011 9:38 AM
So I've been a jbody owner and JBO member for 11 years. I've had my 99 Z24 since I was 16 and I'm now 27. She is getting old and unfortuantely there is a sound in the tranny. I have to unload it now before the tranny goes. This is my first major car purchase and I'm fairly certain I am going to buy the 2012 Sonata SE. It's going to be leather/cloth, navigation, bluetooth, sport tuned "stiffer" suspension, paddle,shifters, the 200 HP 2.4, etc... I want to hear what you guys/gals think of this car? Please post any feedback positive or negative. BTW I am getting $1,000 for my Z which I thought was a good deal (about 140,000 miles). an important note is the vehicle will have a lifetime warranty (engine, transmission, drive axle) after the factory 100,000 mile warranty ends. This is an exclusive deal through the "DEALERSHIP,' they bought the rights to it and are the only ones that have it. All I have to do is keep records of all scheduled maintenance to keep the warranty intact. FEEDBACK PLEASE!!! Thanks!

Re: 2012 Hyundai Sonota SE
Monday, November 14, 2011 11:31 AM
Look nice, drive great....not sure about the engine though.

Watch out for "stealership" things like that.....they tend to never work out anyways....

http://www.autotalk.com/pictures/data/1536/medium/2005_Chevrolet_Cavalier_Xtreme_002_autotalk_com_.jpg
Monday, November 14, 2011 5:26 PM
don't buy into the life time warranty crap with that car company. If you do not bring the car there for every service and on the miles its suppose to be in there they will void the warranty. If you dont do the 30k service 60k service and run anywhere from 60-300 bucks they will void the warranty. I work with a lady who bought a 2011 elantra and that is the run around they give her all the time. And if you think of doing any bolt on mods kiss the warranty goodbye.
Monday, November 14, 2011 7:03 PM
Valid response Silversun but the maintenance can be done any where as long as the mechanic is certified. I was told I could even change the oil my self as long as I documented the purchase of the oil n filter lol. This is routine maintenance, oil, tranny fluid, etc.. The lifetime warranty isn't with Hyundai it's with the dealership here in Chicago (Gerald). They have exclusive rights, it will apply after the 100,000 mile warranty is up. It would only go away in my opinion if the dealership was sold or went out of business. I hope/don't think that will happen because this guy has owned numerous dealerships for years around here, now in control of his son. Trust me I've been putting my 'skeptical hat' on the whole time. It seems like extra "piece of mind" on top of a good 'factory warranty.' Noone else offers it and I need a good new car, so...??
Monday, November 14, 2011 11:06 PM
Hyundai is doing really good things as of late. They had their rough start, their few years of making things better, cheaper to make a name for themselves, and they seem to be on point now.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 12:09 AM
What's the price on the Sonata? What kind of down payment are you going to put down? What about the interest rate? I'd worry less about the car itself, and more about the financial details. You're looking at a Hyundai after all. Well, maybe you should worry about the car itself. You're looking at a Hyundai after all.

Also, I call BS on the lifetime warranty. No one is that stupid to offer a lifetime warranty for any car. I don't care what kind of car it is. You're going to get shafted by that agreement one way or another.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Tuesday, November 15, 2011 1:20 AM
I just purchased a 2012 Elantra last month for a new DD and I could not be happier (considered the Sonota but the Elantra's mpg and slightly smaller price tag won me). Never thought I'd want to own a Hyundai, but they have really stepped things up.
As far the warranty stuff stated, buy from a reputable dealer and you'll be fine. I'm not a fan of dealerships, but i was very impressed with the customer service where we purchased. If you do you're own service, just make sure to keep an accurate service log and keep receipts of your parts purchases (especially oil and filters!) and you'll be fine if you need warranty work.

As long as Hyundai keeps in the direction they're headed, I'm sure I'll be purchasing from them again in the future.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 4:27 AM
Tony T Crams wrote:What's the price on the Sonata? What kind of down payment are you going to put down? What about the interest rate? I'd worry less about the car itself, and more about the financial details. You're looking at a Hyundai after all. Well, maybe you should worry about the car itself. You're looking at a Hyundai after all.

Also, I call BS on the lifetime warranty. No one is that stupid to offer a lifetime warranty for any car. I don't care what kind of car it is. You're going to get shafted by that agreement one way or another.

See, it's simple minded jackasses like you that never give something a chance. Back in the 90's-Early 00's I wouldn't buy a Hyundai. They got into the American market by offering cheap cars to sell big numbers. So they weren't all that reliable or desirable. Like I said before, they seem to have steadily improved to really make a name for themselves by offering loaded, reliable, great quality cars at a lower price than the American, Japanese, and German cars in their respective classes. I see no issue buying Hyundai of recent years. Get your head out of your ass, or at least out of the late 90's and see what they've done lately. Especially being one of the first car manufacturers to offer a 10yr./100K miles warranty, they must have some confidence in their new found quality.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 1:12 PM
JL and Evilution thanks for the positive responses. I am nearly certain I am buying the car this week. The car is 25K and has EVERYTHING other than heated seats. I was nervous taking on this new expense (down payment and monthly's) but it's a beautiful car, great reviews, and the factory warranty and of course if the "lifetime" through the dealer is wicked. I hope the lifetime holds up because I intend on keeping this forever as I did with the Z. Plus buying a new car was/is inevitable because the cavy isn't realiable anymore and has become a money pit. I also need a nice car for sales calls and I'm growing up. The poor cavy is really showing its age as well (other than breaking down mechanically). I have been thinking about his forever and was almost positive I was going the used route. This new car route seems to make sense, I put a ton of miles on a year because I have sales job where I drive constantly. I will post pictures of the car if/when I buy it. I will also try and take some of my Z. I am really upgrading but I will miss my Z badly, it's been with me forever and there has been lots of memories. I was going to keep it but I can't justify it financially right now. Plus I don't have a permanent garage. Thanks guys, all and any comments are welcome.
Tuesday, November 15, 2011 4:35 PM
A guy I know just stopped by last night to show me his 2012 Veloster also, and it was cool as hell! Different looking, I found it good looking, had all the bells and whistles except push button start for about $18-20K if I remember right. If you want something unique, economical, and practical, that is the way I would go as far as over all bang for your buck. Next time you swing by the dealership, check one out. I personally liked it.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 6:30 PM
i gotta admitt, i am really enjoying the new hyundai vehicles this year. they have really come a long way.... as a company i mean.

the new optima is TITS looking. i cant wait til we get one in here at hertz so i can drive it. and the veloster? way cool. same goes with that.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 9:13 PM
All dealerships are not as bad as some think on warranty items.I know when I purchased my 11 civ yeah standard warranty(however) the dealership actually pushes that to 100k on engine/trans something (THEY) do individually and this dlr has been around for a long time.So they truley stand behind there sale,and maybe 1 more reason to go back someday.In fact my wifes 95 civ was purchased new(same dlr) kept 9yrs sold and went back to them for her accord bc of solid umm everything.Good luck on your buy,and I have to agree hyundai actually does rate very well in todays standards by consumer reports,and other ratings overall.They have improved two fold on quality and ratings are not total bolongne all the time.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 1:25 AM
Quote:

the new optima is TITS looking

It's TITS because it's a Kia. As for Hyundai I really like the products they are offering us now.

Jim....As for the Sonata I would buy it in a heartbeat! They look awesome with the new styling. The Sonata's and Elantra's were great cars in the past and are even better cars now. They are so underrated!
Thursday, November 17, 2011 11:05 AM
Guys thanks for the positive comments. Z Yaaaa- I wanted the optima turbo so badly- unreal looks and great performance. I am instead buying the sonata this saturday because of better gas mileage, better resale, lower cost for insurance, and the possibility of this lifetime warrany holding up. I am excited and nervous- I just spent my lunch taking out the subs and amp from the cav Z24 I snapped some quick photos, I will post pics of the cav and new ride when all is said and done. It's been a great 11 years- sooo many memories. I'll always be addicted to the ORG, FAHK IM GONNA HAVE TO FIND A NEW FORUM! Hopefully the sonata forums are as good as the org.
Thursday, November 17, 2011 6:18 PM
I doubt a Hyundai Sonata forum is as active or full of people, but I bet there's a good one out there. And hey, I haven't owned a J since 06, so don't think selling the J means no more ORG

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Thursday, November 17, 2011 7:58 PM
Buy it, great cars and are fully backed by the warranty. My dealer also owns the Hyundai next to us and when I say they cover everything, I mean it.
The cars look great and have all the options of cars priced alot higher.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 10:02 PM
Personally if I were to choose between a 2012 Sonata and a 2012 Optima, I would go Optima all the way. They are basically the same vehicle and in my honest opinion, the Optima is WAY sexier looks wise.

Friday, November 18, 2011 1:11 PM
JL- I'll always be checking up on the ORG don't worry about that. I also am wondering if I can have my subs hooked up to the factory stereo. I would have a professional do it but don't even know if that is a good idea. I highly doubt I'll ever replace the factory head unit- brand new car I don't want to fahk with it plus it flows so nicely with the Navigation. I may just have to go sub-less which will be tough after having different systems for 10 years now. Thoughts? GTP- That's good news, thanks for the input. Trevor I'm loving the look of the Sonata more and more but the above pic is a 2 door- I didn't even know they made them in two door? I am getting the 4 door SE model with different 18" rims, but I love the rims I'm getting. Also that's a weird set of rims on the Optima, never seen those before and peronally I dont like them.

Lastly, I think I'm gonna run over there with my down payment after work today because I'm nervous they'll sell my baby- what you guys think?
Friday, November 18, 2011 2:13 PM
So, wich color of Sonata?
Saturday, November 19, 2011 7:50 AM
Putting an amp/sub in a car without changing the headunit is definitely possible man, no big deal As a matter of fact, semi-on-topic of this thread since someone mentioned one: I did exactly that in a 2011 Kia Optima. Very fun/easy car to work on inside. I liked that.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Saturday, November 19, 2011 8:59 AM
Jim Crockett wrote:So I've been a jbody owner and JBO member for 11 years. I've had my 99 Z24 since I was 16 and I'm now 27. She is getting old and unfortuantely there is a sound in the tranny. I have to unload it now before the tranny goes. This is my first major car purchase and I'm fairly certain I am going to buy the 2012 Sonata SE. It's going to be leather/cloth, navigation, bluetooth, sport tuned "stiffer" suspension, paddle,shifters, the 200 HP 2.4, etc... I want to hear what you guys/gals think of this car? Please post any feedback positive or negative. BTW I am getting $1,000 for my Z which I thought was a good deal (about 140,000 miles). an important note is the vehicle will have a lifetime warranty (engine, transmission, drive axle) after the factory 100,000 mile warranty ends. This is an exclusive deal through the "DEALERSHIP,' they bought the rights to it and are the only ones that have it. All I have to do is keep records of all scheduled maintenance to keep the warranty intact. FEEDBACK PLEASE!!! Thanks!

You should be able to get that car closer to $23,500 based on what the recent sales have been in Chicago. Working at a dealership has its perks...

Great car though. I wouldn't count on the lifetime warranty. If you get it thats a bonus but 10 years down the road don't be surprised by it.

Check out Truecar.com they can show you some comparable transactions. .

Sunday, November 20, 2011 9:37 AM
I wouldn't be too concerned about the liftetime waranty. Considering your 99 z24 had 140k on the odometer, it seems like you'll be on par to go almost the full 10yrs before you hit the 100k mark (assuming your driving habits remain the same). If it's transferable, sure sounds like a good idea, could only help with resale. Unless you're expecting to hit 100k way sooner than the 10yrs, the lifetime waranty doesn't seem that important.

I work on Wall Street, but didn't force you to take out a loan you couldn't afford.
Sunday, November 20, 2011 4:08 PM
I bought the car yesterday. It's amazing, I'm super happy. Looks great, handles great, and the technology is exceptional. The 200 HP is also a huge difference. I'll post pics soon. Mikey- I will put miles on this car much faster than the cavy. I could drive 20,000+ miles a year with my job. I ended up extending the bumper to bumber to 150,000 miles. The lifetime warranty is for engine, tranny, and drive axle. It was sad gettting rid of the cav but theres absolutely no comparison.
Sunday, November 20, 2011 4:38 PM
Congrats on the purchase. Hope you're happy with it. Like I said earlier in your thread, KIA as well as Hyundai have improved leaps and bounds in recent years and worked hard to show people they can keep up with the big guys....and even do it cheaper.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Sunday, November 20, 2011 5:45 PM
Very nice purchase Jim!!! Can't wait to see the pictures!

As a new Kia owner, I would buy any Kia or Hyundai product over Honda and Toyota, anyday of the week. They made one hell of a great job for the last few years. Hyundai made pretty good cars years ago like the Elantra, they were just underated at that point.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search