Family friendly :) fun car - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Family friendly :) fun car
Monday, November 14, 2011 11:03 AM
Haven't posted on here in forever! Anyways reciently my gf and I found out that we have a little one on the way! She has an 08 impala, perfict. I have my 02 Z28 (not going anywhere) and the 97 2 door cav. The cav is gonna need to go away.

Here's what I'm looking for. I want a still fun to drive 4 door or wagon under 100k miles or close to it, decient mpg,
and a budget of $8k. Feel free to through out suggestions as to what would be good to look for. Thanks guys

Right now I'm looking at:
03+ Audi A4 quattro 1.8t 6spd (this is what I'd really love to have, just hard to find)
98+ Pontiac gtp 4 door
98+ Buick regal GS
02+ Subaru wrx (kinda worried about reliablity)
00+ Lincoln LS V8

Member of J-body of Michigan. I'm parting out, BUY MY STUFF!!

Re: Family friendly :) fun car
Monday, November 14, 2011 11:29 AM
If you can find one, I'd go with the GS....

http://www.autotalk.com/pictures/data/1536/medium/2005_Chevrolet_Cavalier_Xtreme_002_autotalk_com_.jpg
Monday, November 14, 2011 11:32 AM
Doubt you'd find it in your price range, but can I recommend a '05+ Legacy GT. It's the same setup as a WRX, but a more adult vehicle. More creature comforts, better finish and not typically going to be what a younger person would drive & beat on. I'm curious why you'd worry about a WRX being reliable, but not an Audi? I'd think the opposite way.

Monday, November 14, 2011 11:36 AM
My friends mom has an 05 GTP Grand Prix with the competition package and that thing is awesome. We only averaged around 16 mpg with it though
Monday, November 14, 2011 11:41 AM
There is a 2007 Wrx that is STI converted for just over 6k in Livonia that I almost bought last week, the name of the place is Roadrunner auto sales, actually come to think of it , it was in Romulus. Just over 40K on the clock, go get it!

Monday, November 14, 2011 11:48 AM
jason norwood wrote:There is a 2007 Wrx that is STI converted for just over 6k in Livonia that I almost bought last week, the name of the place is Roadrunner auto sales, actually come to think of it , it was in Romulus. Just over 40K on the clock, go get it!

Or don't.

I've seen RR's handywork first hand (I looked at a Liberty a while back), and it is not very good. All they do for the most part is fix up smashed up cars.....

http://www.autotalk.com/pictures/data/1536/medium/2005_Chevrolet_Cavalier_Xtreme_002_autotalk_com_.jpg
Monday, November 14, 2011 12:14 PM
Buick, great durable DDs

Monday, November 14, 2011 12:39 PM
I vote for the gs. They're nice road cars and the perfect sleepers. You can find them in really good shape and that have been maintained because older people usually have them.

I just picked up a mint condition black 99 gs with 96k miles for $3800 a couple months ago. I absolutely love it. You can find a super nice one for about half of your 8k budget.
Monday, November 14, 2011 1:51 PM
Monday, November 14, 2011 2:04 PM
As for Subaru reliability, I'm really just going on word of mouth on having issues like trans and not easy to get parts. Whereas te audi I've seen first hand 2 friends have them and completly rag the heck out of em with no problems. But on the same not I think if something did go the cost would be high. I'll look at the legacy tho, didn't evevn think about that.

I don't want a salvage or rebuit, I've had a buddy have good luck with one. There's just too many horror stories out there and I don't need that.

The more I think about it the more it makes sence to look at gs's and gtp's. Great for reliability, parts are easy to get, plenty of em on the road for junk yard parts if need be and they respond to mods great.

Monday, November 14, 2011 2:26 PM
The subie or the buick, both for the reliability. I'd be worried about the audi taking a @!#$ and getting suck with an expensive dealer only repair bill.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer

Monday, November 14, 2011 4:24 PM
You're worried about reliability on a Subaru but not the Lincoln? Thats bass akward.....

Monday, November 14, 2011 5:13 PM
ACav2Envy wrote:

03+ Audi A4 quattro 1.8t 6spd (this is what I'd really love to have, just hard to find)
98+ Pontiac gtp 4 door
98+ Buick regal GS
02+ Subaru wrx (kinda worried about reliablity)
00+ Lincoln LS V8

1: Electrical nightmare. The issues that come up might be big, might be small, but they WILL take all the "jump in, drive somewhere, no worries" feel away from it. I wouldn't buy one if you need a reliable family car that is run and not flat out frustrating.

2: Reliable, powerful enough, in your price range easily. I really don't see anything wrong with that selection other than it being somewhat boring looking.

3. Another 3800 car, same feelings as the GTP, but with a much more boring car lol.

4. Fun, pretty reliable if you maintain it and buy one that is stock/unmolested/taken care of, which is hard to find in those. Every punk ass and "tuner" wants one because "OMG AWD TURBO DOOD!" lol. Going to be the most fun of the bunch, good looks, practical, and great in winter. Just gotta make sure you get one that hasn't been beat.

5. I love the LS's as well, BUT being a big Ford V8 guy and not knowing a thing about those V8's they put in there kept me from buying one. I don't like when a car company does a special edition or limited release motor that hasn't been tried, tested, and true like the 4.6 Modular motors are.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Monday, November 14, 2011 5:20 PM
congrats Steve!

Monday, November 14, 2011 5:29 PM
Im happy with my saab 93. try giving them a look. I got the aero with the 2.8T its a lot of fun to drive.
Monday, November 14, 2011 5:41 PM
Monday, November 14, 2011 5:47 PM
Good tips Dustin, thanks man.

Thanks Chad! Were excited, and a little nervous!

Got buddys that have saabs. I really like em, but for some reason they don't do anything for me. I think if I did look at one I'd stay in the 2.0T not the 6.

Monday, November 14, 2011 7:30 PM
Stay far away from anything German...

Get a CRV and swap the RSX type-S head onto the exisitng 2.4 block.

Fun, quick, reliable, cheap, 5 speed, AWD.

Come get you some!

oh and congrats!

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Monday, November 14, 2011 9:32 PM
Congrats man. hows the 02 treating you

Audi's get hella expensive for the little things you replace.

GTP and buick both seem pretty practical....

anyone confirm that those were the 3800's i always heard head gasket issues about?

Monday, November 14, 2011 9:39 PM
My recommend is honda accord.You could find say a 02/03 for that cost your looking at.Only thing that will give you some room,reliable,and solid buy.The wife has a04 (got new) and does fine with the 2.4 solid mpgs no problems to this day.

Monday, November 14, 2011 9:46 PM
Ron Love wrote:Only thing

Quite the narrow minded brand loyal douche, eh? You really think a Honda accord is the ONLY thing he can find with the qualities he's looking for? You're an idiot then.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 12:22 AM
Petty arguments aside, I really have to agree with the Accord. A Camry is a good buy, too.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Tuesday, November 15, 2011 4:19 AM
Qwik2k2z24 wrote:Stay far away from anything German...

Get a CRV and swap the RSX type-S head onto the exisitng 2.4 block.

Fun, quick, reliable, cheap, 5 speed, AWD.

Come get you some!

oh and congrats!

this

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 6:59 AM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:Congrats man. hows the 02 treating you

Audi's get hella expensive for the little things you replace.

GTP and buick both seem pretty practical....

anyone confirm that those were the 3800's i always heard head gasket issues about?

They are the 3800's and it's usually just an intake gasket that starts to go around 70,000 and usually with plenty of warning. Once replaced you're good to go for God knows how long, I believe in the later years they corrected the gasket issue and used a new supplier. I'd still give it a thorough look over or just replace it since it's cheap and easy.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 7:57 AM
The series 3 3800 should not give you issues if not flogged its whole life. The motors with the common intake gasket issues were the 3100 and 3400. Series 1 3800s were a bit troublesome too but those are old news.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search