Family friendly :) fun car - Page 2 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Family friendly :) fun car
Tuesday, November 15, 2011 12:26 PM
Thanks jay! I'm really disapointed that everyone says stay away from the Audi, I really like those damn things! What is the issue with em? The 1.8t has been around forever, the chassis seems pretty straight forward. If anyone would know I guess you would. I do kinda like the crv's, never really though of them as fun tho. Did you like your subie? I know it was older but still.

Thanks Vince! The z is great, love that damn car man. Got a best of 11.7 @ 119 this year. Raced a buddy at work with a R6, 40-140 he was just ahead of my front bumper. Last mod for a while will be juice, prob gonna do a 100 or 125 shot.

Accord & camry, blah. Way too boring for me. Thanks for all the input so far guys!

After doing some research I think the LS V8 is out, to little availablity on parts. Still topping the list is the A4 especially if I can find a wagon 5spd. A close second is the GTP, if they came in a manual it'd be perfict!

Member of J-body of Michigan. I'm parting out, BUY MY STUFF!!

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 1:07 PM
I'm telling you, any Audi in your price range is going to be an electrical frustration. I love those cars too, but they're just too finicky and problematic for me to buy. If you want a hassle free driver its the worst in your list. Any 3800 car on the list will be the best when it comes to reliable and worry free driving. I think if you find a well cared for subi in your range, that would be the best balance of practical and fun.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 1:10 PM
When I was faced with the delema to buy a 4 door family car, I went with an Altima 3.5. Same motor as the 350z, just 2 more seats and cheaper insurance.

I bought one with an autotragic because my wife needs to drive it from time to time.

Sporty lines, a fairly decent aftermarket support(think 350z), and strong motor. Fits my book.

I dropped a couple grand in mine and its quite fun to drive around for being a 4 door sedan.

Only downfall is the fact that its FWD.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 2:45 PM
I fully endorse going toward a Subaru. I have been looking around for another one myself lately in that same price range. HARD to come by in a manual however. Everytime I found one... poof it was gone before I knew it. If you stay NA Subaru and 5speed manual you won't have the tranny issues like WRXs get. There just isn't enough power to hurt the trans in my eyes. Outbacks are always my favorite. Great ride height, tons of space, great style, etc. And you should know how sexy a boxer sounds..

As much as I love the Audi/VW scene...I agree with Dustin. Aside from electrical nightmares, the 1.8t is known for sludge if not properly maintainted. At 100k your looking at vacuum line/hose issues (crack quite often and they are all preformed nonsence), timing belt replacement, and whatever else decides to go wrong at the time.

CRV isn't the coolest vehicle out there but I have a soft spot for them in a manual. Plus you have the Camaro for fun so the focus should be strictly reliability and less fun/cool factor.

Think of it this way. You won't look so cool (and won't be having fun) when your Audi breaks down and your newborn is in the backseat... but you can show up everywhere on time in your not so cool (yet reliable) Honda or Subaru.

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Tuesday, November 15, 2011 3:25 PM
Anything audi is expensive. Friend of mine has an A4. HUGE PITA.... like dustin said, electrical problems, strut problems, tie rod problems, pretty close to having rebuilt the whole damn car.

Altima doesnt sound like a terrible idea. Nissan makes solid cars.

I agree with jay, you have the camaro for play time. sure its only 2 doors, but as he said, newborn in a broke down car< newborn sleeping in a reliable car while cruising a-b getting good gas mileage...

honda is about as reliable as they get whether it be CRV, civic, they all run forever.

ps, no spray til I get a chance to chase you down

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:34 PM
I hear ya guys. I know your right too! Altima sounds interesting, I actually found something while looking at Honda stuff. The 04+ acura tl has great reviews and comes in a 6 spd, even a few of the type s were in the range. Any ideas on those?

Spray will be fun! Gonna be a wild launch!! Gotta beat those damn rockets man, haha!

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 3:56 AM
ACav2Envy wrote:I hear ya guys. I know your right too! Altima sounds interesting, I actually found something while looking at Honda stuff. The 04+ acura tl has great reviews and comes in a 6 spd, even a few of the type s were in the range. Any ideas on those?

Spray will be fun! Gonna be a wild launch!! Gotta beat those damn rockets man, haha!

i know several people with acrua TL's and they love them..... one of them being fetter

i would go more acura than Audi

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:14 AM
DAMN, cant believe I forgot the TLS. I LOVE those things. stock for stock they run well, not too insane to maintain, they look badass stock. Fetter's wife has one thats blue with the graphite wheels and it looks killer. I have always wanted one and even with a small drop and window tints they look amazing. DEF get the TL Type S. Every bit of the S is worth it for those things.

If we ever run, you better have a no bottle tune ready!

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 5:21 AM
You will not find a good condition 04+ TL for $8K, let alone a Type S. There was an 05 with 60K miles on it local here with a PS title and hail damage on almost every single panel and the dealer wouldn't budge below $12K. They hold a decent value, and are nice cars, but because of that, they wont be had cheap.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 7:13 AM
I'm down Vince! I'd love to try n plan a track day or weekend show/race.

Most of them were in the 12k range but there were a handfull 7-9k. I have a few months to search too

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 8:58 AM
ACav2Envy wrote:
Accord & camry, blah. Way too boring for me. Thanks for all the input so far guys!

Camry and Accord are too boring, but you'd buy a Regal GS or a Pontiac GTP? I can think of a ton of things I'd rather do than drive either of those cars.

2010 Honda Fit LX

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 3:37 PM
go test drive a altima with the 3.5. i think you will be quite surprized. or a maxima. im not to sure on pricing but the mazda 6 isn't bad either
Wednesday, November 16, 2011 6:11 PM
Seeing as how you have a thing for Buicks, and 5.7s, I vote for option #7... Go find an old Buick Roadmaster wagon. We had a 1995 with the LT-1. That thing hauled ass, all with la-z-boy comfort. Ours had leather seats, electronic climate control, etc. Nice car.

2000 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4 - Not stock
1973 16' Tahiti Speedboat
1983 200 HP Mercury BlackMax
1997 Chevy Cavalier with 275K miles
Thursday, November 17, 2011 2:02 PM
Looked at the nissans, styling isn't really for me.

Don't really have a thing for buicks, actually not at all. Just the regal is the same thin as a GTP, which I would do the Pontiac over the Buick. I do love roadmasters though, those things are badass! I do look when they pop up on craigslist, not many in good condition anymore sadly.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 3:43 PM
I would say GTP. I am on my second one. if you have a choice, go for an '04 and up, the interior is much higher quality, and the handling is a million times better. My current one puts down 340 fwhp, sounds and looks bone stock, and still gets 26 oh the highway. Mine is turbo'd, but a supercharged car should get close to, or over 30 mpg highway.

Andy

it's not how fast you go, it's how you get there that counts.
ZZP XP cam, 1.6 rockers, 105# springs, speedbuilt FWI, 3.3" modular pulley, TOG headers,
3" exhaust, flomatched injectors
'97 GTP 14.06@100.6mph pre cam w/ 3.5" pulley, I/E
Thursday, November 17, 2011 6:09 PM
Thursday, November 17, 2011 6:15 PM
WORK wrote:I would say GTP. I am on my second one. if you have a choice, go for an '04 and up, the interior is much higher quality, and the handling is a million times better. My current one puts down 340 fwhp, sounds and looks bone stock, and still gets 26 oh the highway. Mine is turbo'd, but a supercharged car should get close to, or over 30 mpg highway.

A turbo is not always producing boost. When cruising at highways speeds in high gear, it wouldn't be.... A supercharger is run off a pulley on the motor and is ALWAYS putting a draw on the motor. How would you get BETTER highway mileage out of a supercharger?!?

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Thursday, November 17, 2011 8:40 PM
How about a nice Lexus IS300?

5 speed option and cheap toyota compatible parts!

2JZ....no @!#$...

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Friday, November 18, 2011 5:08 AM
Qwik2k2z24 wrote:How about a nice Lexus IS300?

5 speed option and cheap toyota compatible parts!

2JZ....no @!#$...

...and they look great, RWD, not fast, but sure they handle decent as well! Local has one on Tein springs, I enjoyed it and it was an automatic I just cruised around.

I like.

Friday, November 18, 2011 1:37 PM
Never really thought of the Lexus. I did look at some of the newer crown vics online, maurader would be awesome!

Paul said he knows someone with a low mile '96 impala ss, I'm likin that idea. Suppose to get back to me on price.

Friday, November 18, 2011 7:17 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:
WORK wrote:I would say GTP. I am on my second one. if you have a choice, go for an '04 and up, the interior is much higher quality, and the handling is a million times better. My current one puts down 340 fwhp, sounds and looks bone stock, and still gets 26 oh the highway. Mine is turbo'd, but a supercharged car should get close to, or over 30 mpg highway.

A turbo is not always producing boost. When cruising at highways speeds in high gear, it wouldn't be.... A supercharger is run off a pulley on the motor and is ALWAYS putting a draw on the motor. How would you get BETTER highway mileage out of a supercharger?!?

Two main reasons. First, a stock GTP is not modded to run 400 hp; injectors, TB, and converter to name a couple. Second is that the standard GTPs final gear ratio is 2.93, the comp G gearing (like mine) is 3.29. My '97 got a maximum of 32 mpg highway even with some exhaust work, intake, and 3.5" pulley.

And despite being belt run, a supercharger does not take that much hp to run at lower RPMs such as around 2K, and with the bypasses they put on them, they also do not create boost while cruising, which lightens the load.

Andy

ZZP XP cam, 1.6 rockers, 105# springs, speedbuilt FWI, 3.3" modular pulley, TOG headers,

Saturday, November 19, 2011 7:48 AM
What you just said,(mainly, not the second part lol) has NOTHING to do with the difference between fuel consumption of a turbo or SC. It was all about gearing and mods. Those weren't my point

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Saturday, November 19, 2011 7:52 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:What you just said,(mainly, not the second part lol) has NOTHING to do with the difference between fuel consumption of a turbo or SC. It was all about gearing and mods. Those weren't my point

you asked how i got different gas mileage out of a two different 3800 vehicles i have owned, which happen to have different types of forced induction. I told you. the things i listed do indeed have to do with the difference in fuel consumption between two like engines. injectors, tunes, and gearing all can affect gas mileage.

Andy

Saturday, November 19, 2011 8:48 PM
No.... I was commenting on the GENERAL STATEMENT that with an SC he should get better mileage than with turbo's. That is how you said it the first time, that's how I read it. As if to say that with all other things equal, a car will get better gas mileage because it has a supercharger and not a turbocharger. You did not say "You will get better gas mileage with a bone stock 3800SC than with a big balsy built turbo one geared like mad to gogogo". You said "...still gets 26 oh the highway. Mine is turbo'd, but a supercharged car should get close to, or over 30 mpg highway."

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Saturday, November 19, 2011 10:18 PM
You might take a look at late B5.5 Passats, same chassis, same suspension, same engine and same drive train as an A4, just a couple inches longer for a bit more room inside.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search