Family friendly :) fun car - Page 3 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Family friendly :) fun car
Sunday, November 20, 2011 12:14 AM
From your list, my vote would be the Audi. If you're looking at the 2002+, you won't run into the electrical issues that these guys are talking about. The general rule of thumb with VW/Audi is that the first 2 years of every new generation will have the problematic electricals, then it's smooth sailing to the next generation. And even at that, the Audis seemed to suffer less than the VWs. The downside though, I hate to say, is that a lot of people think the 1.8t is a @!#$ motor. Every time I talk about getting an '05 Jetta GLi, my sister's bf (who is a certified VW/Audi mechanic) tries to talk me out of it because of the 1.8t that comes in it. But like stated before, they are NOT cheap cars to maintain. I remember the MAP sensor in my ex-wife's 2000 Jetta GLX VR6 being almost $300.

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance

Sunday, November 20, 2011 3:22 PM
Dude I will say from personal experience on multiple occasions you are wrong. There is a large potential for multiple quirky problems with that car. There's no @!#$ rule of thumb about the first 2 model years per model. That particular model and year I can say I've seen 2 friends have many issues. One so bad he sold it at a huge loss because the hassle of the issues coming up all the time wasn't worth it on his dd.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Monday, November 21, 2011 1:48 PM
Subaru Forester. Can be modded to sexy, and less chance that some young clown beat on it.

Monday, November 21, 2011 1:58 PM
J03Y wrote:Subaru Forester. Can be modded to sexy, and less chance that some young clown beat on it.

agree with non bold

disagree with bold.

At least in the Chicago area, the Forester is the new hot rod Subaru. Seems like a lot are snagging them up for that sleeper look. Since nobody expects a ton of power from a small crossover like that. A lot that have bought them are 20-25 and beating the piss out of them. Hell friend of mine has one, bought himself, already piped, exhaust, lowered, tinted, tuned(modded to sexy) at age 19. Drives it like he stole it.

It just kind of comes with the style of vehicle. Dont want a beat car? buy a slow ugly car.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 5:34 AM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:
J03Y wrote:Subaru Forester. Can be modded to sexy, and less chance that some young clown beat on it.

agree with non bold

disagree with bold.

At least in the Chicago area, the Forester is the new hot rod Subaru. Seems like a lot are snagging them up for that sleeper look. Since nobody expects a ton of power from a small crossover like that. A lot that have bought them are 20-25 and beating the piss out of them. Hell friend of mine has one, bought himself, already piped, exhaust, lowered, tinted, tuned(modded to sexy) at age 19. Drives it like he stole it.

It just kind of comes with the style of vehicle. Dont want a beat car? buy a slow ugly car.

Interesting. Exactly the opposite in my neck of the woods. That's why I plan to pick one up sometime in the next few months. I love the look of them slammed and no one is modding them around here. Then again, I have this sick fetish for wagons.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:43 AM
I love fast wagons too!

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:57 AM
J03Y wrote:
BuiltNBoosted wrote:

agree with non bold

disagree with bold.

Interesting. Exactly the opposite in my neck of the woods. That's why I plan to pick one up sometime in the next few months. I love the look of them slammed and no one is modding them around here. Then again, I have this sick fetish for wagons.

I love me some wagons.

I agree with Vince. There are a few foresters locally, and they are driven by a younger crowd. One was on top of a guard rail a few weeks ago.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, November 22, 2011 3:56 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions and help! I've found the car, I'll be picking it up tomarrow

its not a forester, but it is a Subaru! Not exactly fast tho.

'99 Subaru legacy outback limited 5spd, has 134k on it but dose have a tow behind on it so actual mileage is somewhat lower. Extremely mint, inside and out! Zero rust, in the owners manual was a business card for the selling dealer in Utah. Has power everything, and everything works. No leaks of any kind, and super quiet. I was in no rush to get a car, but this was too nice to pass up. I'm excited!

Here's the only pic I have, took it the first night I went go look at it.

Member of J-body of Michigan. I'm parting out, BUY MY STUFF!!
Tuesday, November 22, 2011 4:18 PM
Weird..my old Outback was a tow behind as well!

Good find!

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Tuesday, November 22, 2011 4:37 PM
Inspiration

Edited 3 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, November 22, 2011 10:08 PM

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 4:49 PM
good find. cheap easy, simple to mod and going to be amazing in the winter. That car, plus snow tires, the thing will be unstoppable.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 5:02 PM
Great find. Those were on my list when I was DD shopping, but I couldn't find one in my price range that wasn't riddled with problems.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 6:20 PM
That's what I thought of too Jay, must be a popular car for tourists! Lol!

That's a sweet look! I'm gonna try not to mod too much, but I doubt I'll be able to. I have a sickness, haha! I will hafta do some personal touches, isn't that how it always starts...

I feel like I got a good deal on it and I've heard alot of very good things about them, this thread included. He only had it on the lot for 2 days before I came in. So he didn't move much but I did get it for 6k out the door tax, title, etc

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 6:28 PM
Insane price. I should stab you.

Yellow fogs ASAP please.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 10:12 PM
ACav2Envy wrote:That's a sweet look! I'm gonna try not to mod too much, but I doubt I'll be able to. I have a sickness, haha! I will hafta do some personal touches, isn't that how it always starts...

^^^^ truth x1000

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 12:45 AM
Great car for a great price!!!
Wednesday, November 23, 2011 2:58 PM
Yellow fogs will be one of the first things cuz the pass side glass is cracked. You know if aftermarket "off road lights" will adapt on it?

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 3:38 PM
Oh come on yellow fogs? Cant we just do normal color fogs? Yellows are so rice and played out.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Wednesday, November 23, 2011 8:35 PM
Nice! Identical to my '99 Outback. Mine is few hundred shy of 160k miles, it's been with me for about 55k miles. Most useful vehicle I've ever owned. Not as much fun as my Leggy, but a great family car. I've only tinted Windows on mine, it's always dirty inside & out. Bike rack on the roof & dog barrier in the back Grab your badge of ownership!

Thursday, November 24, 2011 6:06 AM
I think I'm really gonna like it. Thanks for the suggestion on it stargrrrl! Window tint is a must, feels like a sea world tank! You serious about the badge? What is it, and where?

I've always liked yellow fogs, they look good and are functional for rain and snow.

Thursday, November 24, 2011 1:30 PM
Pick up your Badge of Ownership here

We take our Outback on all of our road trips, it's comfy to sit in for a long time. Plenty of room in the back for even adults. One rare thing mine has that I never see on others is a bar on the hatch that you can grab so you don't get finger prints all over it. This is a recent pic that shows the bar & also the tint. It's 35 on the front 2 doors & 20 on the rest, we did it to keep the dogs cool when we travel in warmer weather. We had it loaded up with roofing material just a few weeks ago & we're just about to replace the suspension, so it was sagging pretty good!

She'll get you through the toughest snow too. We have all season tires & haven't had a single issue.

Hopefully you'll love yours as much as we love ours. Best vehicle I've ever owned.

Thursday, November 24, 2011 6:30 PM
Aww yeah that's awesome! It is a twin!! Tint looks great. Those badges are sweet! got em commin that bar is different, mine has a cutout next to the latch on the hatch for your hand to close it. I already love driving it!

Friday, November 25, 2011 6:04 AM
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:Oh come on yellow fogs? Cant we just do normal color fogs? Yellows are so rice and played out.

almost as played out as the term rice.

Friday, November 25, 2011 8:57 AM
Especially since, from what I understand, yellow fogs are actually functional.

I'm in the market too since my Sunfire is deader than dead, but unfortunately, any good Subi is gonna be out of my small price range.

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Sunday, November 27, 2011 12:06 PM
I use yellow high beams in my beater.. Best functional modification I could have done. Greatly improved snow/fog drive ability.

Plus they just look cool as @!#$ when using them in the big Outback foglights..

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search