best all season tires for a 09 pontiac vibe 1.8l - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
best all season tires for a 09 pontiac vibe 1.8l
Sunday, November 13, 2011 9:24 AM
Looking to find out what others that have vibes or similar cars are replacing the oem goodyears with. Girlfriend has the 09 vibe 1.8L and my original suggestion was the bfg traction ta but they don't seem to make them anymore. They need to be all season tires and hopefully under $120 per tire. She needs a tire that's going to be good in snow being that we're in WI and it's that time of year already. Any suggestions or input is appreciated.

Re: best all season tires for a 09 pontiac vibe 1.8l
Sunday, November 13, 2011 10:00 AM
All seasons are never GOOD in snow..... lol

An all season tire is just an average tire for the every day driver. If she's driving all winter in WI, I would highly suggest snagging a second set of wheels(steelies can be had cheap), and getting some snow tires. Tires are THE most important thing when it comes to traction, control, and safety. You wouldn't believe the difference you get when changing to a specialized tire. Even a cheaper brand of winter tire is going to do better than any all-season in the snowy and icy conditions. I'm from Maine and now live in Nebraska. So I've never gone a winter without snow, TRUST ME, you feel the difference 20 times over when you switch to a snow tire.

With that, I say take the stock wheels off and set them aside. Save money over the winter for some half decent summer tires(you will love them when it rains compared to all seasons as well!), and for now just get some steelies/snows. I know you said "they must be all seasons and under $120 each" but if you can find snows and wheels for about that price, DO IT and save for summer tires on the other wheels.

SO, my suggestion from personal experience with a few different snow tire brands would be the Firestone Winterforce. They did AMAZING on my MR2 and are only $93.00 each on tire rack. Find some cheap wheels that fit your car and go that route. I'm telling you, she will be in much better control and much safer than on an all season.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Sunday, November 13, 2011 2:39 PM
I would go that route with a second set of rims but we have no where to store another set. Her car also has the TPMS on it and I can't afford to get more sensors either. I've heard that the michilen mxv4 or a continental are decent but have no experience with either one.
Sunday, November 13, 2011 3:24 PM
I really can't give a fantastic review of any all-seasons either. My Saturn has some CHEAP crap on it now that I'm torn on because they are like brand new. I'm actively looking for snows for it though. Aside from that, I always took advantage of the Summer/winter setup when I could. Any time I've run on all-seasons it's been some beater I bought and drove for 6 months and never checked the brand.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Monday, November 14, 2011 5:00 AM
I have continental dws tires.. amazing, no complaints. but they are not cheap.

Continental Extreme Contact DWS
Monday, November 14, 2011 5:12 AM
If you sticking with all-season, Contonental Extreme Contact DWS's, "dry, wet, snows" are REALLY good tires. Personally snows are the way to go.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, November 14, 2011 8:12 AM
I'd look around at tire rack they seem to have the most information and reviews. I would vote snow tires vs all season too I bought the general altimax artics last year and love them. why not just have some snow tires put on the stock rims if her current tires are worn out and get some cheap all seasons in the spring?
Monday, November 14, 2011 7:19 PM
I wouldn't even go to that extent. If she is getting a cheap set of tires in the spring, I would get some cheaper summer-specifics. You have a tire MADE for warm/wet weather, and a tire made for cold/snowy/icy weather. All seasons have no place in anyone's life if they are going to have 2 sets.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Thursday, November 17, 2011 9:55 AM
Anyone running the General Altimax HP? Tire rack gives them a pretty good review. How about Dunlop SP Sport Signature?
Thursday, November 17, 2011 10:53 AM
I replaced the traction t/a's on the wifes mazda with BFG premium touring and they were around the same price or so and they are a good tire, they look like they would be decent in snow for an all season, but I cant give a review since we put her second set of studded winter tires on last weekend.
Lots of people like nokians for "all season" winter use tires, but I think they are over priced, if you are set on all seasons, get one with lots of sipping and that. where I live though, I would only recondmend winter tires for winter....

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Friday, November 18, 2011 10:24 AM
I picked up a set of Cooper Weather-Masters last winter and I absolutely love them. Local shop got them in for like $88 per tire. Tires have a very impressive bite to them, we had a pretty bad winter last year and I had no problems getting to/from work when needed (on road conditions where I know I would have been stuck if running my all seasons).

Friday, November 18, 2011 6:29 PM
Let the flaming begin...

I have run 16" steelies with Kelly Explorer all season tires on my 09 Vibe GT for two winters now with no issues whatsoever. Even if I turn off the Stability and Traction Control, I'm hard pressed to get it to fishtail or get out of control in any way.

As far as the TPMSs are concerned, if you get a second set of wheels, don't waste money on a second set of TPMSs. The TPMS light will stay lit if you install wheels without sensors, but it won't effect anything else. If you had a second set of wheels and sensors, you would have to get the sensors re-programmed at the dealer every time you switched wheels. The sensors on the 2009-2010 Vibes are so retarded... my 18s sit in the corner of the garage right in front of where the Vibe is parked. Because the Vibe is close to the 18s, the damn thing still picks up the signal from the TPMSs and the light won't come on until I've been driving for about 20 minutes. Last winter I knew one of the 18s had gone flat because the stupid TPMS light was on constantly. Sure enough, when I went to re-install the 18s in the spring, one of them had lost air and had to be re-mounted and balanced. I wish there was a way to disable the TPMSs. Supposedly they don't even go on until a tire is ridiculously low to the point that you're not going to need a light to tell you a tire is low.

If you haven't already, check out GenVibe.com .

Sunday, November 27, 2011 7:03 PM
If you need to be cheap the cooper made no name tires at sears do well in snow for an all season. If you are willing to spend more the bridgestone entry level tire they have is good. Go to their website

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search