2013 SRT Viper - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2013 SRT Viper
Wednesday, December 14, 2011 10:02 AM
From Dodge...
The Snake Returns to Chrysler Group’s

-Conner Avenue Assembly PlantConner Plant reopens to produce 2013 SRT Viper
-Nearly 150 jobs to return to Detroit
-New Viper to roll off the line in late 2012

December 13, 2011 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - Chrysler Group LLC announced today that it will reopen its Conner Avenue Assembly Plant in Detroit for the production of the next generation SRT Viper. With the plant’s reopening, nearly 150 jobs, both hourly and salaried, will return to the City of Detroit.

The Conner facility was idled when production of the Dodge Viper ended in July 2010.

“The next generation Viper will make its return to the product lineup in late 2012 as a 2013 model,” said Ralph Gilles, President and Chief Executive Officer - SRT Brand and Motorsports, Chrysler Group LLC. “We’re extremely excited that our ultimate American sports car will continue to live on and be produced exclusively here in the Motor City.”

Current Chrysler Group hourly employees who previously worked at Conner were first offered the opportunity to return to their home plant. The balance of the positions will be filled by hourly employees volunteering to transfer to the Conner Avenue plant.

Conner Avenue will begin building the new Viper in late 2012, but employees began reporting for training and orientation this fall.

In preparation for the reopening, the Conner facility will begin its transformation by implementing World Class Manufacturing (WCM), a system that is focused on reducing waste and making continuous improvements throughout the assembly process to improve quality and productivity.

Viper production began in May 1992 at the New Mack Assembly Plant, then moved to the Conner Avenue site in October 1995. All Vipers that rolled off the line were hand-built in a low-volume, modular process. Over the course of 15 years, Conner Avenue employees built about 12 vehicles a day for a total of 22,070 Vipers.

The reopening of the Conner Avenue Assembly Plant reaffirms Chrysler Group’s commitment to the City of Detroit as the only auto manufacturer with two assembly plants in the city.

About the Conner Avenue Assembly Plant
The Conner Avenue Assembly Plant was built in 1966 and purchased by Chrysler in 1995. Viper production began in May 1992 at the New Mack Assembly Plant and was moved to Conner Avenue in October 1995. Prowler production began in May 1997 and ended in February 2002. Viper V-10 Engine production was transferred from Mound Road Engine to Conner Assembly in May 2001. In 2003, the newly engineered SRT10 Roadster hit the market and the SRT10 Coupe followed in 2005. With a production run of 28,056, Viper production ended on July 2, 2010. As a result, the facility was idled.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: 2013 SRT Viper
Wednesday, December 14, 2011 11:25 AM
pics, or it never happened

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 11:43 AM
They should burn the plant and never mention the word Viper again!

FU Tuning

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 11:50 AM
Addicted to meth wrote:They should burn the plant and never mention the word Viper again!

I couldn't agree more with this statement!

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 12:09 PM
iGTP wrote:
Addicted to meth wrote:They should burn the plant and never mention the word Viper again!

I couldn't agree more with this statement!

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 2:10 PM
love to see what this 1 will look like and hope it handles ALOT better than the last 1's did but I don't think they'll come close to the way Chevy pulled off the ZR1.

Skr8 Goodz in tha hood
Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:24 PM
Cavalier Thompson wrote:love to see what this 1 will look like and hope it handles ALOT better than the last 1's did but I don't think they'll come close to the way Chevy pulled off the ZR1.

Let me guess, you drive one "in tha hood"? lmao.... I actually know a guy with an SRT10 that trophies at national autocross events every year. I don't see how that means they handle bad. just saying.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Thursday, December 15, 2011 6:37 PM
Yea wats wrong with a Viper? We do have to admit Chrylser is making better moves than GM. GM needss to bring back the Chevelle

GMR has got nothing on this
Thursday, December 15, 2011 6:43 PM
^^ why? It would just be another redabged Holden.

Thursday, December 15, 2011 7:41 PM
I think Vipers are ugly. Yeah if I see one I will look at it, but they are ugly, and I have laways hated the fact they were V10's.

mitdr774 wrote:^^ why? It would just be another redabged Holden.

Whats wrong with that? The Holdens are hot cars!!

FU Tuning

Thursday, December 15, 2011 11:43 PM
Someone should crash a viper into the plant cause they handle like @!#$!

Friday, December 16, 2011 1:24 AM
All of you who say the Viper handles bad can STFU. The 2010 ACR is currently the 4TH FASTEST production car to lap the Nurburgring with a time of 7:12.13. The handling stigma comes from people who don't know how to properly handle a high powered RWD vehicle and end up pasting themselves into a wall.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Friday, December 16, 2011 6:58 AM
How many in this thread have ever actually driven a Viper?

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Friday, December 16, 2011 7:52 AM
The09GXP wrote:How many in this thread have ever actually driven a Viper?

raises hand 2010 SRT10

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Friday, December 16, 2011 8:23 AM
95 rt 10 here

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Friday, December 16, 2011 8:26 AM
But if you mean how many of the "omg they handle like crap" people, my guess is none. Just more paperwork/bench racers that compare cars they don't and won't own based on stats....

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Friday, December 16, 2011 9:34 AM
Sarcasm. Look up the definition. Was makin fun of the dude who said it originally.

Friday, December 16, 2011 9:41 AM
The real reason a lot of people say they handle like crap is because most car reviewers and other people are used to having mommy the computer hold their hand with traction control and stability control, which by government mandate this new viper will be required to have. I loved the look the of the viper, I think the super long hood super short trunk looks super cool. And they make the rounded body work work.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Friday, December 16, 2011 10:05 AM
I drove a 97 gts a few years back. And may I say that was a hell of a fun time. If I ever got one it would have to be a 1g. The only issue I had was the length of the hood
Friday, December 16, 2011 11:33 AM
I don't know why all the hate for it. Never driven one, but its one of the two Dodge cars I would ever consider buying if I had the money (that, and the new Challenger).

2010 Honda Fit LX
Friday, December 16, 2011 12:28 PM
Tony T Crams wrote:I don't know why all the hate for it. Never driven one, but its one of the two Dodge cars I would ever consider buying if I had the money (that, and the new Challenger).

Agreed. I would also buy a new charger, i really like the look of the new ones.

Anyways, I also drove a 97 gts, was my dream car when I was little and I got to drive one around the block. Didn't get to throw it into any turns but romped on it a few times and that was about it.

Vipers are made to be track cars for people who know what they are doing not for people that need the computer to save them from not knowing how to drive a performance car. I still love the look of them, but there is zero luxury in those cars, the exhaust is hot as hell under the car. I wouldn't turn one away.

Friday, December 16, 2011 1:39 PM
Never driven one, and likely never will. Do not really care to.

The car has never impressed me.

I would take a Dodge truck over the viper off just looks alone.

FU Tuning

Friday, December 16, 2011 3:24 PM
i have never driven one but i have gone for a ride in a 2009 srt-10 convertible and it was awesome. that is all. would i take one over something like a corvette (base model no) but maybe a zr1
Saturday, December 17, 2011 11:13 AM
Addicted to meth wrote:I think Vipers are ugly. Yeah if I see one I will look at it, but they are ugly, and I have laways hated the fact they were V10's.

mitdr774 wrote:^^ why? It would just be another redabged Holden.

Whats wrong with that? The Holdens are hot cars!!

lol sounds like you just hate them in general to me... plenty of different designs to get into. ur telling us you dont like ANY of them? come on....

and whats wrong with it? well its the ecotec syndrome... outsourced gm thats why. ecotec might be a good engine and holden might be a good car but doesnt negate the fact that its not 100% true GM so badging as such is fake, basically.

and i lol @ "the great return of the snake" its been gone like 2 years, big woop.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Saturday, December 17, 2011 11:19 AM
I drove one once. We had a guy at work trade an SRT10 Viper, red with black stripes and the chrome wheels, in for a completely bare bones Corvette. Not even a Z06 (no ZR1 at the time). It was a base model, dark purple colored, automatic with not even the Z07 package or anything. He said he just didn't care for the Viper.

I was the one who got to put gas in it, move it around, etc. The thing was scary. One tap of the pedal and WHOOSH, you were gone. Others were dead on though. The hood is ridiculously long, but it is a nice car.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search