Thinking of getting a Saab 9-3 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Thinking of getting a Saab 9-3
Sunday, January 01, 2012 4:08 PM
I'm currently looking for a car. I have several cars in mind one car that I'm really interested in is a 6 speed 03 Saab 9-3 with the 2.0T. It has around 96K miles and the asking price is $6,750. I've been looking at the reviews of the car and it seems a lot people have expensive problems with it. Is that true? I haven't went and go looked at it in person just yet just saw it on autotrader. What do you guys think?

www.gmofhouston.com

Re: Thinking of getting a Saab 9-3
Sunday, January 01, 2012 4:12 PM
I love my 9-3, I've had 2 of them. The repairs can get pretty expensive, but both of mine have been pretty reliable. I'd recommend avoiding 03s though, as they were the first year the new style was introduced and sometimes they can be infected with some nasty electrical quirks. I'd look for an 04+, but that's just me.

Monday, January 02, 2012 2:11 PM
Thanks. I'm looking to get something later this month. The only thing is my credit I have to kinda picky on where I go they have to be willing to work with me.

www.gmofhouston.com
Monday, January 02, 2012 6:31 PM
2006 saab 93 aero I love it!! could not be happier with the car its a blast to drive. but like said before try and get something other then a 03 it seems to be a hit or miss with that year.
Monday, January 02, 2012 9:25 PM
Hopefully they will still be in my budget. I'll have time to look around to see what's out there.

www.gmofhouston.com
Tuesday, January 03, 2012 3:10 PM
Saab's are great,
BUT
Something to think about, Saab its self is pretty much no longer in business (thank you GM) So if you think parts and repairs are expensive now, wait 5 years from now when parts are even more scarce. You take a huge risk buying a car from a small boutique maker that is no longer in existence. It's one thing to have a Pontiac that shared most components with cars that are still being made, But in 10 years Saab guys will feel the hurt. I say get one only if you really want one and are ready to commit to the craziness that will come later down the road.

I know of what I speak I auto cross a Suzuki Swift GTi, it was made for like 4 years and no nearly 20 years later there are 0% parts for this car. If something breaks i have to pray i find it in the junk yard or that some jerkoff has one an isn't raping me on the price because he knows the part is rare. And it's been like this with parts for this car for the last 10 years and only gets worse. I love the car but the headaches of fixing it are more than i can stand.

2007 Corvette Z51 | Suzuki Swift GTi SCCA racer | 2008 Edge
Tuesday, January 03, 2012 3:44 PM
most of the parts in the saab you can find in a gm car. the 93 is a malibu and G6 the 2.8T is in the srx and in other cars around the world the 2.0T also shares parts with the ecotec only thing i no of right now thats hard to get a keys and a few body parts due to back order.
Tuesday, January 03, 2012 4:02 PM
Like silversun01 said, the company may be gone, but the main components like the powertrain are shared between 03+ 9-3s and other GM cars. It may get a little difficult down the road, but not nearly as bad as a Suzuki Swift GTi. Good point to bring up though.

Tuesday, January 03, 2012 8:11 PM
If you can find one I would get the V6. Love my '07 AERO.

Like it was already stated they can be a bit more costly to run then other cars but tend to be pretty solid cars.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search