2011 Ford Mustang V6 +135MPH = - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2011 Ford Mustang V6 +135MPH =
Tuesday, December 27, 2011 7:34 AM
My co worker sent me this, had to share...

Quote:

2011 Ford Mustang V6 Driveshaft fail at 135mph, Major damage caused by the broken shaft included a hole in the metal floorpan, major exhaust system and muffler damage, broken transmission shifter, broken parking brake, broken interior plastic trim parts.

I guess there is a reason why they're limited to 115mph. lol

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: 2011 Ford Mustang V6 +135MPH =
Tuesday, December 27, 2011 7:55 AM
LOL, wow...

Talk about a car falling apart at excess speeds lol.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 8:27 AM
depending on where the driveshaft broke, he's lucky it didn't drop down forward and hit a pot hole, vaulting the car into the air.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 9:19 AM
I bet someone needed new underwear after that one.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Tuesday, December 27, 2011 9:37 AM
Wonder if theres any pics floating around anywhere of the carnage?
Tuesday, December 27, 2011 10:56 AM
I'll tell you what, if it wasn't for ford, I wouldn't have worked half of what I did this year.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Tuesday, December 27, 2011 10:58 AM
wow... he really did blow himself to pieces.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Tuesday, December 27, 2011 11:24 AM
From what I know about this, it appears that ford uses a 2-piece driveshaft for the v6 models (like Chevy did on the 3800 powered '98 Camaro I owned for a while), and the center bearing comes apart at excessive speed.

The thing I never understood was why, on the cheaper V6 model (Chevy then, and apparently Ford now) did they use a 2-piece driveshaft, when the V8 models got a one piece (Well, Chevy did, and my '02 Mustang GT does)! (I swapped out to a 1 piece, it's a direct swap, takes about 10 minutes). I can imagine that the shorter sections are cheaper to manufacture than one long one, but the added cost of the extra u-joints, bearing and mount for the center bearing would outweigh any cost savings, right?

Granted, I think the 4th gen V8 F-bodies had a one piece *aluminum* driveshaft, but the 2-piece was steel, why not just do a 1 piece steel and save money on the materials? It must have worked out cheaper to do the 2-piece, but I sure can't see how.

-------------------------------------------------
Sleeper style, they don't see it coming that way.
Tuesday, December 27, 2011 11:30 AM
"YAWN"...It's a Ford. Do they still have that crazy power steering whine? lol
Tuesday, December 27, 2011 12:16 PM
Old news

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 1:11 PM
Darkstars wrote:Old news

LMAO

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 1:46 PM

You're passed due to tell us on the 1986 VW Fox concept.

JLAudioCavalier wrote:

LMAO

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 1:53 PM
squisher00z24 wrote:From what I know about this, it appears that ford uses a 2-piece driveshaft for the v6 models (like Chevy did on the 3800 powered '98 Camaro I owned for a while), and the center bearing comes apart at excessive speed.

The thing I never understood was why, on the cheaper V6 model (Chevy then, and apparently Ford now) did they use a 2-piece driveshaft, when the V8 models got a one piece (Well, Chevy did, and my '02 Mustang GT does)! (I swapped out to a 1 piece, it's a direct swap, takes about 10 minutes). I can imagine that the shorter sections are cheaper to manufacture than one long one, but the added cost of the extra u-joints, bearing and mount for the center bearing would outweigh any cost savings, right?

Granted, I think the 4th gen V8 F-bodies had a one piece *aluminum* driveshaft, but the 2-piece was steel, why not just do a 1 piece steel and save money on the materials? It must have worked out cheaper to do the 2-piece, but I sure can't see how.

Did not know this.
Something to ponder on when our Js are limited to 107MPH and we remove the limiter (including myself). Beside the handling part, mechanical parts do take a toll as well.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 3:37 PM
Thrice . wrote:depending on where the driveshaft broke, he's lucky it didn't drop down forward and hit a pot hole, vaulting the car into the air.

Did'nt you see that mythbusters? It wont happen... Be honest when you think about a 3500lb car traveling that fast is a LOT of energy and most driveshafts being hollow will not take that kind of load before crumpling or the u bolts breaking away from the rear axle or the differential carrier tearing away from the frame.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Tuesday, December 27, 2011 4:32 PM
Hey if your gonna complain about old new being posted then don't turn around and post old news lol

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 9:27 AM
Alex Richards wrote:
Thrice . wrote:depending on where the driveshaft broke, he's lucky it didn't drop down forward and hit a pot hole, vaulting the car into the air.

Did'nt you see that mythbusters? It wont happen... Be honest when you think about a 3500lb car traveling that fast is a LOT of energy and most driveshafts being hollow will not take that kind of load before crumpling or the u bolts breaking away from the rear axle or the differential carrier tearing away from the frame.

I did see the mybusters episode, but they can't cover everything with tests. Somethings just happen, a great example is our planet and human beings existing out of the big bang and billions of years of evolution. There was a lesser chance of life happening from the big bang, then there is for the mustang to pole vault from a dropped drive shaft, yet here we are.

Not trying to get philosophical, i just re-read Jurassic Park and the idea of chaos theory keeps rolling around in my head now because of Ian Malcom.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 12:05 PM
Thrice . wrote:

Not trying to get philosophical, i just re-read Jurassic Park and the idea of chaos theory keeps rolling around in my head now because of Ian Malcom.

I just thought you were high...

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Wednesday, December 28, 2011 4:39 PM
The probability of the Big Bang Theory causing life to form is not, in any way, related to the actual, real, measurable, undeniable physics of a hollow, light drive shaft not being able to lift a 3500-4000 pound car into the air.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 5:23 PM
funny thing is the GTO , G8's and the new camaros both have 2 piece driveshafts , gto is limited to 157ish , not sure about the camaro's , as well have rubber biscuits aka fake u-joints

that stang owner is lucky to be alive and not in a million pieces himself

also drive shafts have a critical speed , and any imbalance on the shaft will lower that critical speed

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 6:06 PM
this came from autoblog

Quote:

Before we get started, we feel the need to repeat the standard issue warning about automotive stupidity: Do not try what's shown in this video, and if you do, make sure it's in the safe confines of a legitimate track facility.

One individual recently learned firsthand what happens when you remove the factory's 112-mph speed limiter on the Ford Mustang V6 and proceed to accelerate to 135 mph. The vehicle lost its driveshaft, which turned itself into a spinning hunk of metal that tore into the floorpan, bashed through its interior bits and generally caused mechanical mayhem.

The term for this type of failure is "catastrophic."

So, what happened? Well, we might first point out that the driver of this particular Mustang was clearly still accelerating after the drivetrain started making suspect noises – never a good idea. We have to imagine the vehicle was vibrating like an overloaded Magic Fingers bed before things went sideways.

As it turns out, the 305-horsepower and 280-pound-feet of torque 3.7-liter V6 Mustang is built with a 2.73 rear gear ratio and a lightweight, one-piece driveshaft that's engineered to toe the line between fuel economy and performance. That driveshaft is part of the recipe that allows the coupe to yield 31 mpg highway – it simply isn't built to handle the type of speeds the owner in the video after the jump submitted it to.

In a statement to Autoblog, Ford said that the Mustang V6 is "the ultimate in fuel economy and performance," noting that owners looking for more speed should look toward the Mustang GT with its 412-horsepower V8, heavy-duty two-piece drive shaft and variety of rear axle ratio choices. The Mustang GT is speed limited to 145 mph from the factory.

As an aside, we would also like to point out the idiocy of trying to film oneself at triple digits by hand. While the YouTube description says that the impromptu test course is a "closed" road, it looks like it might be a public roadway. The videographer is lucky to be alive. Keep it on the track, people, and hit the jump to see the clip for yourself.

Thursday, December 29, 2011 1:17 PM
[quote=97cavie24ls(™)]this came from autoblog

Quote:

snip...
one-piece driveshaft

In a statement to Autoblog, Ford said that the Mustang V6 is "the ultimate in fuel economy and performance," noting that owners looking for more speed should look toward the Mustang GT with its 412-horsepower V8, heavy-duty two-piece drive shaft and variety of rear axle ratio choices. The Mustang GT is speed limited to 145 mph from the factory.

Huh. guess I was wrong as to what's installed where. I know I'm right about the 98 'maro being 2-piece though, I threw that junk away, and my 02 'stang's (GT) being a 1 piece.

Still, the driver here is an idiot, Ford limited the speed, and everything was engineered with that in mind (or through testing they determined that the 117mph was the safe limit for their parts). Exceeding the limits, as it were, proves dangerous once again.

-------------------------------------------------
Sleeper style, they don't see it coming that way.

Thursday, January 05, 2012 4:15 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:The probability of the Big Bang Theory causing life to form is not, in any way, related to the actual, real, measurable, undeniable physics of a hollow, light drive shaft not being able to lift a 3500-4000 pound car into the air.

I wasn't saying they're related, just that things happen all the time that can't be explained, even with scientific/mathematical evidence backing all reasons for something NOT to happen. At least that much, you can't deny. No i'm not paranoid, and no i don't believe in aliens. But frig, what i wouldn't give for a pet T-Rex.

Thursday, January 05, 2012 4:58 PM
I don't have enough faith to believe in the big bang.

You have received a forum warning:

Warning: Your signature is way over the 80k file size limit, please remove it.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search