Need Opinions on SUVs - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need Opinions on SUVs
Sunday, January 15, 2012 6:07 AM
Looking to trade in my Crew Cab Canyon for a more family friendly vehicle.

What is the best SUV out there? Needs to have 3rd row seating!

Been trying to read reviews but most sites rate them all differently!

Disclaimer: I will probally offend you with what is written in this post.

Re: Need Opinions on SUVs
Sunday, January 15, 2012 6:56 AM
First of all, how much green can you throw out? New or used?

I agree on the reviews, they ended up making me a harder job to find the right vehicle.
Sunday, January 15, 2012 8:33 AM
Depends on what you want to pay in gas. A tahoe or trailblazer ext. The highlander and others that size only have 3rd row seating for circus freaks.

Sunday, January 15, 2012 11:38 AM
KanewtZ wrote:Looking to trade in my Crew Cab Canyon for a more family friendly vehicle.

What is the best SUV out there? Needs to have 3rd row seating!

Been trying to read reviews but most sites rate them all differently!

Mazda CX-9.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Sunday, January 15, 2012 11:54 AM

Sunday, January 15, 2012 1:29 PM
"family"
"seating"
"cart kids around"

.....Big boxy gas guzzling brick? I love how soccer mom's have effectively turned the SUV(sport utility vehicle) into the new mini-van. Something like the previously suggested CX-9 would be a good fit, but why would you buy a big, full framed, 10mpg brick to cart kids around? I hate to say it, because people are so stuck on looking macho, but if you want 3 comfortable rows of seating and space for stuff, get a mini van.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Monday, January 16, 2012 1:41 PM
MyKoup_owns_theZ wrote:First of all, how much green can you throw out? New or used?

I agree on the reviews, they ended up making me a harder job to find the right vehicle.

New..price doesn't really matter that much...under 60k (Canadian).

Monday, January 16, 2012 1:43 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:"family"
"seating"
"cart kids around"

.....Big boxy gas guzzling brick? I love how soccer mom's have effectively turned the SUV(sport utility vehicle) into the new mini-van. Something like the previously suggested CX-9 would be a good fit, but why would you buy a big, full framed, 10mpg brick to cart kids around? I hate to say it, because people are so stuck on looking macho, but if you want 3 comfortable rows of seating and space for stuff, get a mini van.

Why?
1) I can afford it
2) It suits my lifestyle better (Camp, boat, etc).
3) I want it
4) What do you care?
5) SUVs can get a lot better than 10 mpg of fuel efficiency
6) It has nothing to do with macho...I would just prefer a SUV
7) I win

Monday, January 16, 2012 2:01 PM
We love our 08 highlander. Loaded Sport model with tow package and 3rd row. V6 is real strong but is relatively light on gas. Wife commutes 30-ish freeway miles to work and averages 25-27 mpg. Agree the 3rd row is small but I see it as a kids seat or an adult seat if I need to haul a crowd a short distance.

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Monday, January 16, 2012 4:50 PM
You didn't mention anything about boating or camping. I just saw "I need a family vehicle" and figured a mini van would be a more practical route. But with a good size budget and being able to afford the gas mileage, why not get something like a Youkon? I REALLY liked the last Youkon I was in.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Monday, January 16, 2012 6:12 PM
My mom has an 06 or so escalade and I must say it is a great SUV. All of the creature comforts and it still gets like 17 mpg with all kinds of power. You could pick up a newer hybrid (although gas mileage isn't much better. The ESVs we had at the dealership I used to work at were really nice and had a ton of room in it. They seemed to be pretty reliable, never saw too many of them coming back for service.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:23 AM
any big GM Suv would be your best bet if you looking for towing. I remember driving down the street and seeing a guy in a newer style highlander trying to pull a camper. lets just say the back tires where pretty much under the wheel wells and it was dragging ass down the street. not what that SUV is made for. you can get a saab 97X with the 5.3 V8 i looked into them but due to gas prices i ended up with a 93 aero instead.
Thursday, January 19, 2012 9:13 PM
We used to have a 2008 Honda Pilot w/third row seating and it was a great SUV....not one problem. We traded it in for our 2007 Volvo XC90 and we love this one so far.

Both are really good in snow as well.

GMC Arcadia (sp?) is another nice SUV also.

Friday, January 20, 2012 6:50 AM
Check out the new 2013 Ford Flex with v6 ecoboost. 365happy horses. Although the styling is very subjective.

http://www.caranddriver.com/photo-gallery/2013-ford-flex-photos-and-info-news

Friday, January 20, 2012 6:57 AM
It really depends on styling and preferences. I would say as noted above any GM SUV would be great. My dad has an 02 Astro we tow our boat with (heavy boat), tows it with no problem at all, extremely comfortable as well. My brother has I think an 03 Tahoe and tows even better. Also great in the snow with 4x4, I drove it in last years blizzard with no issues. My personal recommendation is a Tahoe, been in Suburbans, Blazers, Jimmys, Envoys, Tahoes, all kinds of minivans, Escapes, Hyundais, Hummers etc. My overall favorite that isn't overkill and great for virtually all situations is the Tahoe.

As for the minivan v.s. SUV, Drive train is the same on both half the time. Really it comes down to preference.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search