best car to buy for 2000 - Page 2 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: best car to buy for 2000
Thursday, January 19, 2012 5:56 PM
I actually bought a saturn sl2 5sp for 2200 its been a great car so far I'm buying a dodge ram inbthe next few weeks to.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 6:06 PM
dakota sutherland wrote:I actually bought a saturn sl2 5sp for 2200 its been a great car so far I'm buying a dodge ram inbthe next few weeks to.

make sure you are checking your oil and you should be fine.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 6:21 PM
After about 20 piston soaks it uses a quart every 2000 miles so not to bad for a saturn. My gf will be driving itsoon. When I get my truck I'm not looking back.
Thursday, January 19, 2012 7:10 PM
They eat oil a bit, but they are reliable little cars. (my current DD is actually a 2000 SL1). The best part is, if anything DOES go wrong, the parts are dirt cheap. Rebuild the whole front end for what it costs to do 2 struts on most cars lol.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Saturday, January 21, 2012 2:59 AM
dakota sutherland wrote:After about 20 piston soaks it uses a quart every 2000 miles so not to bad for a saturn. My gf will be driving itsoon. When I get my truck I'm not looking back.

That's better than normal

Be careful on the Dodge Ram purchase, transmissions are a weak point as well as catalytic convertors.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 8:53 AM
Yea I know but they change tranny fluid and filter every 25k and use some high dollar fluid . I figure if it goes out ill fix it but I know the guy pretty well and trust them so it puts me at some ease. Atleast I'm sure of the trucks maintenance.
Saturday, January 21, 2012 10:57 AM
It's not just about maintenance, it's about actual quality and reliability of the transmission itself. It's not just an ongoing automotive joke about 90's-mid 00's Dodge transmissions. It's proven. I'm in the dyno department of a transmission remanufacturing company and I promise the guy running Chrysler products is busier than anyone else. Just tread lightly on high mileage Dodges.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Saturday, January 21, 2012 12:03 PM
I agree but my logic is I know they aren't the best but I know the trucks history . Or I could buy a truck with known to be good trannys that has been rode hard and abused. Also Chevys trannys aren't that good either or fords . But Dodge probably is the worst lol. If it goes out it wont be and early death and ill just fix it. Do you know what causes the tranny to fail?
Saturday, January 21, 2012 1:53 PM
Again, I've worked for a company that remanufactures transmissions. I could easily judge that by what I see come across our Dyno's alone. Even before, I can say I haven't heard any major issues with Chevy's automatics. Nothing to speak of anyway. Ford either, but I don't get into Ford trucks much. The guy running Dodge auto's is busy. Like scheduled an hour earlier than anyone else in our department busy. The guy who runs Ford AND Chevy rear wheel drive transmissions goes home early from time to time with no complaints from our manager because he has such little work to do. He runs out of units to run at least 3 times a week. That in itself speaks volumes to me.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Saturday, January 21, 2012 2:21 PM
Quote:

Do you know what causes the tranny to fail?

Can't remember offhand the exact issue but it had something to do with the synchros for 1st & 2nd gear. I know in the dodge ram I drove years ago that part grenaded, the torque convertor took a @!#$ too lol. If it does need rebuilt down the road have some quality parts put in it. The brakes won't last long either so upgrade them if you can afford it. The engines on the other hand are quite reliable, the one I drove had the v6, it was a dog but never needed anything replaced. The F150 the company had on the other hand was in the shop about once every 3 months to get fixed. Now GM transmissions not that good, can't agree with you on that, as long as you don't abuse them and get the fluid changed regularly they should last as long as the motor.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 2:30 PM
I agree they suck but I would rather have a truck I knew the history of than not. No matter how good the product is if it's been abused it will be a pile of crap. The truck has 185,000 so if it went out tomorrow it wouldn't have died a young death . But trust me its in the back of my head ill take good care of it and if it goes ill fix it. the 700r4 sucks pretty bad and the e4od are tempermental as hell. All auto sucks imo I would rather have a stick

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search