SUV people......choices...choices....choices - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
SUV people......choices...choices....choices
Saturday, January 07, 2012 1:09 PM
So I need an SUV. Not a car, truck or anything else.

It must be 4x4 (or AWD).

I was checking out 07 and up H3s and Grand Cherokees.

My mom has a 05 Pilot and it is the perfect size for me....maybe a little bigger would be good, but gas has got to be on the up side.

Never bought an SUV before, and was wandering what i should be looking for? And are H3s good? What about Cherokees? What is best for MILD (talking back roads and what not in winter and such in OHIO) off road? What about repair costs?

Basically I just want input. I want to know what you guys recommend, as you guys/girls KNOW YOUR STUFF.

Thanks for any Input in Advance.

Re: SUV people......choices...choices....choices
Saturday, January 07, 2012 1:38 PM
pilots are nice so are pathfinders, same with a subie forester. do NOT get an H3 they are garbage(5cylinder out of a canyon) just stay far away from the h3
Saturday, January 07, 2012 2:55 PM
Ford Escape

O noes!
Saturday, January 07, 2012 3:46 PM
I was in the same boat as you 3 months ago. I tried pretty much anything called SUV in the affordable range. I ended up buying a Mitsubishi Outlander XLS V6 with all the goodies.

I love it so far, lots of room and power and absolutely love the rear panel with a tailgate type of door. We got over two feet of snow in December and had lots and lots of fun with the S- All Wheel Control.
Saturday, January 07, 2012 8:38 PM
we just got my wife a dodg journey a 2010 its very comfortable and it has quite pep to it, if you get the awd and the srx version you should be pretty set. and we got ours for under twenty grand

Modding my j since I found the org
Saturday, January 07, 2012 8:47 PM
the GMC acadia people seem to like. we have one in are family no real issues with it okay gas miles and good in the snow. It is fully loaded and when pushed it will cruise along no problem.
Saturday, January 07, 2012 10:57 PM
no to escape or h3. dodges are good at first usually but eventually start falling apart.... pilot, pathfinder, anything japenese really lol or that new hyundai suv i heard was really good.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3877823
Saturday, January 07, 2012 11:41 PM
Chevrolet Equinox....

I am looking for struts for my newly aquired Eibach pro-kit performance coils, If anybody has some?
Sunday, January 08, 2012 5:31 AM
I'm hearing really good things about the newer Santa Fe's to be honest. If you're on a budget, I would look into that. Fairly decent gas mileage for an SUV, and it's a Hyundai so you are going to get more bells and whistles for the price. Aside from that, might want to consider sticking to the tried and true: Things like the GMC's and Chevy's.

However, I will say that the Cherokee's are not bad at all. Get the 6 cyl with 4X4 and you will be able to get through rough roads when needed, but still get decent mileage and killer reliability.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Sunday, January 08, 2012 6:38 AM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:
However, I will say that the Cherokee's are not bad at all. Get the 6 cyl with 4X4 and you will be able to get through rough roads when needed, but still get decent mileage and killer reliability.

this

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Monday, January 09, 2012 8:00 AM
Mattmac1989 wrote:no to escape or h3. dodges are good at first usually but eventually start falling apart.... pilot, pathfinder, anything japenese really lol or that new hyundai suv i heard was really good.

well that is a pretty dumb answer. I would never trust a japanese SUV, most rock crawler suv's are running gm or ford drive trains.
what is wrong with the escape?

I own an 05 escape and I plan on getting a new one down the line. The 3.0L 4x4 is perfect in the winters,and on the back roads. It handles great offroad as well. With mine I put some bigger tires with better tread and take it out to deer camp in the middle of winter. I have yet to get it stuck, I also tossed an exploror safari rack on the top and basically doubled my storage capacity. Also its a great family Vehicle. We have had three adults two child seats and my black lab sitting comfortably in that truck. I would trust it and take it anywhere.

the only complaint i have with it is the ABS tone rings on the Half-shafts will get rust under them and crack. But its an easy fix if you have half a brain and an oven. Just take the half shafts out. pry off old rings, clean rust. heat new rings (7 bucks at a ford dealer) for 10 minutes at 400 degrees. and use a brass tap to set them on the half shafts, reinstall and done. It takes about an hour. But people will say you need new half-shafts which are 150 a piece, disregard those people because they are retards.

Here is mine:

That was before the bigger tires.

Monday, January 09, 2012 8:56 AM
Tahoe/Yukon.

I have a 2000 Yukon and I love the thing, the body style I have was a little hard on front end parts, the rest of it has been built proof tho.

If you get a newer one they get over 20mpg as well.

You won't regret it.

Monday, January 09, 2012 9:05 AM
My dad has an H3 and loves it. It rides really smooth, it could use a bit more power due to the I-5 but it's not exactly built to be a speed demon, that thing will go through anything we have thrown at it.

I test drove an 07 or 08 cherokee and an 08 liberty (new body style) before I bought my nitro and actually really liked both of them a lot. Cherokee had plenty of power and rode really well, was very comfy (I'm 6'3 230). There was a lot of cargo room. I also had an 06ish cherokee for a couple of weeks after my cavy got rear ended a few years back and I loved driving that thing around.

The liberty was great, very comfy, rode great and i know they are great off-road. That was loaded with heated leather, sunroof, touchscreen mygig system (had 65k miles on it and they were asking a bit too much.) I wouldn't ignore these, I didn't like them until I drove one (never even considered it actually)

I test drove my 07 Nitro R/T and fell in love with it. Very comfortable with the heated leather, love having the sunroof, the stock system is one of the best stock stereos I've heard. 4wd is a locking type and has been great in any mud and snow I've been in. Also has a 260hp/265tq V6 in it and has great power and plenty of torque (can also tow up to 5,000 pounds with towing package). The rear seats fold completely flat with the floor and the front passenger seat also folds flat and gives you a ton of cargo room, I have hauled all kinds of stuff in that thing that I never though I'd have room for. Getting ready to throw some bigger tires and a 2" lift on it when I get the money together, so that will make it even more fun.

Going for this type of look, but mine is white.

Monday, January 09, 2012 12:02 PM
The escape is too small for my taste.

What about a Subaru. B9 Tribeca?
Monday, January 09, 2012 12:10 PM
I'll sell you a 08 armada le 4x4....

Buy my stuff!!! CLICK

R.I.P. Brian Klocke, you will never be forgotten
Monday, January 09, 2012 12:50 PM
4Runner!!!!!! Nuff said!

Not unintentionally accelerating since 2009!!!!

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 7:27 PM
the nitro's aren't bad but no low range 4wd. (at least not in the one my rent's have)

h3 can be had with a v8.. also i believe you can get a selectable locker in them as well. if you plan on running any real trails, i'd look at the h3 or the jeep.

Thursday, January 12, 2012 10:41 AM
Lifting, putting mudders and off roading in a crossover Dodge Nitro....I have finally seen the dumbest thing on the net.

2007 Corvette Z51 | Suzuki Swift GTi SCCA racer | 2008 Edge
Thursday, January 12, 2012 11:58 AM
I told you, GM Full Frame SUV......you won't regret it!

lol

Thursday, January 12, 2012 12:05 PM
newt wrote:I told you, GM Full Frame SUV......you won't regret it!

lol

Until you stop at the gas station.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Thursday, January 12, 2012 12:10 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:

lol

Cannot agree more!!
I kick myself whenever I even LOOK at the gas gauge.

Thursday, January 12, 2012 7:50 PM
Forester, if you want tuning potential a xt model.

Friday, January 13, 2012 10:17 AM
Evol...??? wrote:Lifting, putting mudders and off roading in a crossover Dodge Nitro....I have finally seen the dumbest thing on the net.

Not really a crossover, same platform as the liberty and actually has done very well off-road.

Also, the no 4LO is one thing I'm not a fan of, the liberty had it and I wish this did as well. At least it is a true locking 4wd though, and not just awd.

Friday, January 13, 2012 10:48 AM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:

lol

if your worried about gass, buy a sedan, if you want an SUV then gas is the trade off. I am not going to get rid of my truck because it gets 18 miles to the gallon, i needed a truck. so I said F*** the gas. when you need it, you need it. end of story.

Also if your getting an SUV get a full frame, I wish that my escape was. don't go and get a soccer mom, urban crawler, that looks cutesy SUV. get something that will grow hair on your balls.

Friday, January 13, 2012 11:08 AM
First of all, Buy American. So here are my suggestions:

Stay away from the Ford 6-cylinder Transverse mounted transmission SUVs. I can't tell you how many Explorers and Escapes I've seen in my family shop or that we've had to tow to the local Ford dealerships, all with the same problem. Blown tranny, or a terrible engine.

4-Cylinders

Chevrolet Equinox / GMC Terrain (unless you get it with the 3.0 V6)

6-Cylinders

Dodge Journey (the Newer ones)
    GMC Acadia
    Chevy Traverse
    Jeep Grand Cherokee (Personally been in one of these, very comfy, the interiors are nice, and the new Pentastar V6's kick as. I'm still weary of Chrysler's build quality though).

8-Cylinders

Chevy Tahoe (Most comfortable SUV I've ever been in by far, and a trust Chevy V8 and Transmission with it, can't go wrong)
    Dodge Durango (Haven't heard much about these, but definitely worth looking into)

As you can tell, I'm not much of a Ford guy, and as I stated above I'm still weary of Chrysler. But all of the vehicles I've listed above are ones that I would look at when shopping for an SUV with 4x4 / AWD, and I haven't heard anything terrible about them. I've spent the most time in a Chevy Tahoe, and I truley think that going with a GM SUV would be for the best. A tried and true combination of power and reliability. Hope this helps.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search