Bought a new car... again... - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Bought a new car... again...
Thursday, February 16, 2012 10:20 PM
Ok so I go through cars fast. Had the Saturn for 4 months and got bored. The new car that will have DD duty until I sell my Datsun and buy a new DD:

1990 BMW 325is. Fully loaded. Everything still works flawlessly. Runs/drives like a top. Front end got hit by a deer or something, hood and driver fender were repainted(clearly by an amateur) and the front lip(that is supposed to stay black) was also painted poorly. Over all, it's got a little bit here and there, but it's MINT for an E30. ZERO rust(came from Cali), ZERO damage, ZERO major mechanical issues.

Pics at dusk without tripod, so the suck:

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Re: Bought a new car... again...
Friday, February 17, 2012 5:47 AM
Do want!

Nice car man. It looks great minus the issues you pointed out. It looks to be in fantastic shape.

Friday, February 17, 2012 6:23 AM
do want good sir, love the older style bemers

Modding my j since I found the org
Friday, February 17, 2012 6:40 AM
very clean. i am a e36 guy myself, but those are one of the most reliable cars ever. Amazing what bmw used to be able to do with reliability.

if you need anything for it there are a few at the yard up here.

Friday, February 17, 2012 6:46 AM
very suprised at this purchase. looks like a good starting point.

Friday, February 17, 2012 12:06 PM
Thanks guys. It was too good of a deal to pass up. And why surprised by this purchase? I've been a huge e30 fan for a while now and this is actually my second one.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Friday, February 17, 2012 5:11 PM
nice bmw!

now steal that miata for me.

Friday, February 17, 2012 9:04 PM
Its beat...the punk ass that owns it makes sure we all know he started his car. Turn key, 2-3 Redline revs, then blast out of the lot tacking each gear. That miata isn't a happy miata lol

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Friday, February 17, 2012 9:42 PM
Love E30s! Minus the paint issues, it looks mint!!

Flickr Photostream Facebook Twitter
Friday, February 17, 2012 9:46 PM
I am going to take the lip off, soak it in some stripper. Let it dry, black magic it, and be done. They're supposed to be black, not painted. The hood and drivers side fender I will find a pro to match to the rest of the car. Then it will be onto the interior. Dash has cracks and the seats are worn. I'm going to focus on all the little things like that until I have a near perfect E30. Then it's back into the audio. The suspension is already done sufficiently enough for my driving. Might find someone who wants a rare set of wheels to buy mine so I can snag some gold meshies

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Saturday, February 18, 2012 3:24 AM
These lips are unpaintable!!! My buddy has a white 1991 325 and we tried two times to paint it and it flaked of after a few weeks.

We nice car you have there. After the little bugs here and there fixed it will look awesome!

Saturday, February 18, 2012 6:49 AM
Yeah like I said its supposed to be black. You're right. That plastic is not meant to be painted. Plus, with it color matched the front ens looks wayyyyyyy too low compared to the rest of the car

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Saturday, February 18, 2012 7:38 AM
Man, I'd love to have one of these as a DD

Saturday, February 18, 2012 9:48 AM
looks like a 1st gen cav with a bimmer headlight conversion. but i kinda dig the old school vibe its got going on--even like the body colored front lip. how many miles are on it? got any other plans for it?

Saturday, February 18, 2012 10:14 AM
Very nice pick up. Iv always wanted a E30, one of the best cars ever made IMHO!

"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers"-Colin McRae
Saturday, February 18, 2012 11:22 AM
They're great cars my dad has had many e30's going back to when they were new. They are pretty much bullet proof and all the ones that my father has had just needed regular maintenance- nothing major. It's amazing how good the build quality and how solid feeling the e30's still are even though they're 20+ years old.

My dads winter beater is an 89 325 ix that I hope to pick up after winter is over...
Saturday, February 18, 2012 8:16 PM
I wish you the best of luck with it bro! Very nice pick up FTW!

Saturday, February 18, 2012 8:21 PM
Ben, you're an idiot lol. How does a stock 325is look anything like a first Gen cav???? Not even close... its already got a solid suspension setup and the wheels will get sold if I find the right gold mesh wheels. Aside from that I only plan to make it all purdy and mint.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Saturday, February 18, 2012 8:36 PM
I do hope one of the first mods you plan to do is strip the paint off the front lower valance and install an exhaust system!! Also the gold mesh wheels would look amazing! Good luck! I cant wait to see the finished product!

Sunday, February 19, 2012 7:56 AM
Awesome, that's mint!

When the LSx swap happening ? LOL

Sunday, February 19, 2012 8:41 AM
Adam, trust me, stripping the lip is high on the list. And this car won't be getting an ls swap. Lol. The good ol' straight 6 is just something bmw did too well to @!#$ with.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Sunday, February 19, 2012 2:11 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:Ben, you're an idiot lol. How does a stock 325is look anything like a first Gen cav???? Not even close...

look again

quarter windows are nearly identical in shape/design, even down to the tiny rear corner being blocked off. front window on the cav is a little longer, but still the same basic shape. both cars have fenders with same small flares. front end comes to an abrupt halt, drops down, then an extension out on the bumper, then back in.

rears are similar, but not as close as front/sides. but the deck lid still comes down only to the lights/plate area which extends from one side to the other. large rear window with same basic slope

for the front exchange the rounded lights for squares (and give a harder edge to the fenders) and you again have a very similar look

now i chalk this all up to just generic 80s styling more than anything else, and im sure the quality of the bimmer far exceeds that of the cav. but you simply cant say that they don't look very similar, esp to the untrained eye. i wish i could find my old pic of a 1st gen with the bimmer HL conversion but so far no luck

Sunday, February 19, 2012 2:25 PM
I'll Just leave this here.

"These were very popular in the mid 80's. On a buying trip to the Frankfurt auto show in 1984 or 85 this set up was the rage of the show.

Many of the display cars at various booths sported some version of this square light styling. Although the look was not accepted by some BMW purists, BMP design sold several hundred kits in the coarse of a 5-7 year period.

There were several producers of the kit. The kit you see on our project car was manufactured by "Taifun" of Germany.

We also offered a similar kit for the e21, and e28 body style. Unfortunately or fortunately the product is no longer available."

Linky

I miss my Cavalier, even if it made 100 hp on a cold day and had more suspension then it deserved.
Sunday, February 19, 2012 3:38 PM
Man Grayscale, that looks terrible lol.

And Ben, I guess I never looked into it. It's nuts because I have NO desire to own or even like a 1st gen cav(find an unmodded, stock photo of one. They're not as nice as the one posted.). SO I never made the connection lol. But yeah, over all, I absolutely love E30's Fit and finish for their age is awesome. Reliability is second to none. Parts are dirt cheap and all work I could ever do to it is easy as pie. On top of that, they handle, drive, and feel awesome. Best thing BMW ever did within any kind of reasonable price range.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Sunday, February 19, 2012 7:29 PM
My first E30:
http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/jlaudiocavalier/E30/

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search