04 Mustang popping? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
04 Mustang popping?
Monday, March 05, 2012 7:02 PM
Alright.
So I'll tell you what I know.
My friend owns a 2004 Ford mustang. It's the anniversary package with the 3.9. And a 5 speed.
He tells me that every time he shifts and gets on the gas, a popping noise happens.
I'm just curious if anyone might have any suggestions on what to look at?
He thinks the sound is coming from the rear.

Honestly, I have no idea what to look for when it comes to Mustangs!
Any help? I figured I'd ask here before we just dove in looking with no idea what to look for.

Re: 04 Mustang popping?
Monday, March 05, 2012 7:10 PM
3.8 not 3.9. Sounds like something is worn or loose to me. Pushing in the clutch shifts the weight forward, then getting back on the gas once in the next gear shifts the weight back again causing the suspension or drivetrain parts to move. I would say get the car in the air and check things out. Could be a mount, could be a U-joint, could be a loose strut, could be a lot of things. Need to get it in the air and just check it out. I would personally start by checking the driveshaft U-joints.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Monday, March 05, 2012 7:14 PM
I'd also check trans mounts and engine mounts
Monday, March 05, 2012 9:43 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:3.8 not 3.9. Sounds like something is worn or loose to me. Pushing in the clutch shifts the weight forward, then getting back on the gas once in the next gear shifts the weight back again causing the suspension or drivetrain parts to move. I would say get the car in the air and check things out. Could be a mount, could be a U-joint, could be a loose strut, could be a lot of things. Need to get it in the air and just check it out. I would personally start by checking the driveshaft U-joints.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 8:38 AM
It has the 3.9. They put those in a few of them in 04. There really was no difference in motors. Just .1 liters haha,
We will put it up on stands this weekend. HE thinks it may be a bushing or maybe a shim needs to go in each side of the stabilizer bar from movment or something!
Tuesday, March 06, 2012 11:20 AM
As long as I've been a mustang guy, never hears of those getting any v6 other than the 3.8. I think ur friend is confused...

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 2:56 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:As long as I've been a mustang guy, never hears of those getting any v6 other than the 3.8. I think ur friend is confused...

Mustang 3.9 V-6

3.8 vs. 3.9 V-6

Ford Essex V-6 3.8 - 3.9 - 4.2...

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 5:02 PM
huh. Didn't know that. Been a Mustang guy my whole life, and just learned something new. That's always nice Guess I need to pay closer attention to the 99-04's lol

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 6:38 PM
I had a similar thing happen with my fox. Check the pinion bolts and all 4 control arms. The uppers have super fat bushings that like to deteriorate and just fall to pieces.

You have received a forum warning:

Warning: Your signature is way over the 80k file size limit, please remove it.
Tuesday, March 06, 2012 7:55 PM
Ya haha. I really see no point in the .1 liter more. But It's whatever I guess. I'm not a big ford person.
And thanks Troy!
I'll tell him to look into that. Is it the same with the bushings with the newer mustang? Since his isn't a hatch.
Wednesday, March 07, 2012 4:51 AM
The suspensions are mostly identical from 79-04. I actually have 01 GT springs in my 91 hatch.

You have received a forum warning:

Warning: Your signature is way over the 80k file size limit, please remove it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search