New Project '89 Cabby. - Page 4 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: New Project '89 Cabby.
Friday, April 06, 2012 12:18 AM
love the build and the older VW's they just stick out its a really neat car keep it up the freshly painted wheels go fine with the car keep the progress coming any plans on a motor swap for that little thing

gilligan

Friday, April 06, 2012 4:57 AM
Love it man.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 1:16 PM
Thanks! No immediate plans for a motor swap but I would like to one day. Minus the AC and freshend up a bit it runs so much better and is quite a bit quicker than it was last year.

Monday, October 29, 2012 10:15 AM
Been a while. Figured I'd post these up in here for fun.

Cars parked for the winter now but got some new wheels to get fitted for next year.

15x8 et0.

I'm sure this won't be received well on here but here they are anyways.

Monday, October 29, 2012 5:53 PM
Looks good, I like the style of rim on the car just not the stretched tires that will be on the rims.. Keep the progress coming.

Monday, October 29, 2012 6:02 PM
Looks badass. Im trying to buy an 84 Rabbit off of a guy I work with. Gotta love the old VWs.

Monday, October 29, 2012 6:56 PM
I'm not going to go with a huge stretch but yes there will be stretch. Probably going to go with a 195/45/15.

Yeah, I've had my eye one a few rabbits but can't justify a third car, yet.

Friday, March 29, 2013 5:30 PM
Well, there seems to be a couple people interested here so figured I would update this.

New wheels/tires, chrome trim and single round grill installed. Waiting to install new ebrake cables and motor/tranny mounts.

Needs some flair trimming and a little raising. Took it down the street and the rears are rubbing.

Monday, April 01, 2013 2:52 PM
Love the fitment. The black looks awesome against the white everything else.

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 7:10 AM
I really like the black too but have some color matching white on it's way to my house. Debating on changing the black to white.

I love white cars with white wheels.

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 5:38 PM
Full white wheels or white with the silver lip? Im thinking the second.

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 6:14 PM
White with the silver lip.

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 6:52 PM
Good choice. Carry on. Haha.

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 9:53 PM
Looks good....

I agree with the change to white...

http://www.autotalk.com/pictures/data/1536/medium/2005_Chevrolet_Cavalier_Xtreme_002_autotalk_com_.jpg
Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:14 PM

A quick wash and back to garage for the coming snow storm.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 7:53 PM
poking out the side of the car with stretched tires... yay another one of those ugly ideas. Sad because I do think it's a neat car. But at least that one dumb trend STARTED with the VW people (I mean after Mexican-Americans did it on their Toyota pickups back in the day...). And is that the chrome door guard trim crap just put on your grille? Meh.... I guess what I'm saying is "different than it was" doesn't mean "better than it was" in every case of modding...

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 8:21 PM
I knew when I saw you posted it wasn't going to be anything good. No, it's not chrome door guard. I don't do that kind of stuff on this. It's a 100% oem vw grill from earlier rabbits. I changed it out because I prefer the single round grill. Also I have the trim piece for the passenger door I just haven't put it on yet.

And while the poke and stretch are probably more than most here like it's still not as exaggerated as a lot of cars I've seen. The pictures make it look worse than it is.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 8:54 PM
Cool news on the grille. That's just what it looked like when I looked at those pics quick. As for the stretch poke thing.. I just never understood it. You handle worse, have to drive more carefully, I think it looks completely retarded, and it eats tires up and is *potentially* more dangerous than a tire made for the width of wheel(Had to say potentially since some people don't see how having less bead contact and such extreme stress on the sidewalls could possibly be dangerous and throw a #swag #trend #dip@!#$ hissy fit)....

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 7:11 AM
When I first saw it I didn't really care for the look either. But once I started seeing more realistic ones I enjoy it. The stretch on these isn't too bad. Its a 175/50 on a 15x8. It's just enough that the tread face is all inside the fender.

This is about how all 4 corners sit:

And the stretch is this:

I feel safe with the amount of stretch and the way it handles. I look at a 165/45 on an 8 inch wide rim and wouldn't drive on that, it looks super sketchy. And I don't have to drive nearly as careful with these as I did with the 13's and 2.5" of clearence to my oilpan.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 5:20 PM
Like the white AND the stretch.

Thursday, April 18, 2013 11:53 PM
I REALLY like the look of those.

Friday, August 16, 2013 10:41 AM

Friday, August 16, 2013 2:49 PM
Im jealous. Such a good lookign car.

Saturday, August 17, 2013 9:53 PM
Thanks man! I'll toss up a few other pics I took recently. Nothing really going on with the car just enjoying it.

Friday, August 15, 2014 10:58 AM
GOING THAT LOW MAY LOOK FUN BUT SURE IS HARD ON THE WALLET , I WENT THROUGH ( 2 ) OIL PANS WHEN MY CAVY WAS DROPPED NOT TO MENTION ALL THE SCRAPING AROUND TOWN !

BLACKMANTIS
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search