Bought a 240sx vert! Need clutch advice - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Bought a 240sx vert! Need clutch advice
Saturday, May 19, 2012 4:10 PM
I've been looking for a 240 project car for a long time. Originally I was set on finding an s13 coupe but the ones I saw were pretty much rotting away underneath. Well I found this convertible for sale that just had a 5-speed swap done. Never considered a vert, to be honest I totally forgot there were 240 verts! I couldn't pass up the opportunity as it is in real good shape. There is 4 small rust spots I will fix, but other than that the body is good. Not a perfect car by any means, but a perfect project car for me.

Ive only owned the car for a few hours, and I've got a concern about the clutch. Its a brand new Exedy clutch, only been in the car for 3 weeks. The previous owner told me to baby it, shift under 3500 rpm, and down shift lots to help break it in. Well i've been driving the car today like a grandpa, but i've noticed the clutch will slip on occasion and there is grinding during down shifting. I've never driven a car with a brand new clutch, is this normal? I've driven lots of brand new big rigs and the gears will grind until they are broken in but i'm just not sure about a car doing that! Any advice would be much appreciated!

Anyway here is the car:

Re: Bought a 240sx vert! Need clutch advice
Saturday, May 19, 2012 9:48 PM
Well I have done a couple clutch jobs in my time and never had grinding with a new full clutch.Unless maybe your slave cylinder is weak,or the clutch pedal needs to be adjusted for pedal height,Idk.If it has a external slave I would check it for leaks and dirty fluid in resevoir.Unless the grind is unrelated to the new clutch it might be the trans itself with the bearings,or components inside it.I am not fluent with the 240 stuff however figured I would share my experience and I myself drive a tractor trlr too so I know what you mean with a new tight,grind in those for sure!

Saturday, May 19, 2012 10:35 PM
I have a little background with the 240sx. Check your transmission fluid and make sure it is not low, and your slave should be under your car on the passenger side. I would bleed that if your trans fluid is okay. The car should not be grinding at all, even with a new clutch. It is also a possibility that the clutch fork is bent and not engaging completely. Lastly, the transmission is EASY to remove in this car. 240sxforums.com and nicoclub.com are great resources as well with your 240.

Saturday, May 19, 2012 10:39 PM
Thanks for the reply! Yeah I guess I need to check everything out to be certain. Apparently there is still a few hundred km's of break in time needed so I thought I'd wait and see what happens. I just don't think the clutch should be slipping at all, but then again i'm no expert!

Saturday, May 19, 2012 10:43 PM
Freelancer1988 wrote:I have a little background with the 240sx. Check your transmission fluid and make sure it is not low, and your slave should be under your car on the passenger side. I would bleed that if your trans fluid is okay. The car should not be grinding at all, even with a new clutch. It is also a possibility that the clutch fork is bent and not engaging completely. Lastly, the transmission is EASY to remove in this car. 240sxforums.com and nicoclub.com are great resources as well with your 240.

Thanks for the advice! I've got zero 240 experience so I appreciate the help! I'm going to check everything out first thing in the morning.

Saturday, May 19, 2012 10:57 PM
And I almost forgot that this car was converted to 5 speed, like you said... since NO convertible came 5 speed... sadly. So also might want to check the wiring and everything. There is a sticky on 240sxforums for auto to manual swap. I assume the car is using a hacked auto harness.

Sunday, May 20, 2012 6:59 AM
nice pickup....cant wait till i pick up my 240sx later this year hopefully

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Sunday, May 20, 2012 2:49 PM
The Jew wrote:nice pickup....cant wait till i pick up my 240sx later this year hopefully

Thats awesome! Are you going for an s13 or an s14?

Monday, May 21, 2012 5:49 AM
Chris B. wrote:
The Jew wrote:nice pickup....cant wait till i pick up my 240sx later this year hopefully

Thats awesome! Are you going for an s13 or an s14?

im gonna try to get a S14 if possible but down here in FL they usualy go like 5k or more for a "decent" running car because they think they are worth gold or something.....all i want is a straight chassie no motor or tranny because im gonna be one of "those guys" who LS swap them

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search