The Flying Dutchman - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
The Flying Dutchman
Wednesday, July 04, 2012 2:53 PM
It's not my new daily, as I bought it back in April or so, but I figured I'd toss it up here and see what everyone thinks. I'm expecting the usual amount of JBO criticism, so bring it

1995 Volkswagen Passat GLX VR6 5spd. The mods are quite few:

- FK Streetline coilovers
- 2.5" straight-piped exhaust with a Dynamax muffler (it's surprisingly quiet)
- Kenwood cd player
- 1600-watt Audibahn amp
- 15" Kicker comp sub
- Pillars, rear plastics and headliner wrapped in teal/black plaid

There you have it. More than likely, I won't add anything more to it. The plan is to sell it when I get my tax return next year and buy an 05 Jetta GLi 6spd, an 03 GTi 20th anniversary, or to find a MINT condition Mk2 GTi or GLi with an ABA swap. However, if I can't find what I'm looking for at that time, the wagon will go in for paint and a set of 15x9" Diamond Racing steelies or Brock B2s. C&C is, as always, welcome.

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance

Re: The Flying Dutchman
Wednesday, July 04, 2012 3:40 PM
a vw with plaid wrapped interior... im so surprised. you went so far out of the normal trends with that mod.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Wednesday, July 04, 2012 3:58 PM
Plaid aside. Add rims and I'd love it.

Wednesday, July 04, 2012 6:45 PM
The PO is who did the interior and the mirrors. The interior has grown on me, so it's staying. I'll be stripping the mirrors though.

Thursday, July 05, 2012 5:55 AM
Something about that car just makes it ugly. I think it's the shape of the body.
Interior looks fine, are those leather seats?

RIP JessE -- You are not forgotten! | FaceBook | G+
Thursday, July 05, 2012 8:06 AM
Yeah, tan leather. Yuck, IMO but @!#$ it for now. If I keep it, I'm gonna look into swapping Mk4 Recaro interior into it. As for the ugly, well I guess it's just one of those things where you love it or hate it. At first, I was just 'meh' about it. I only got it so I can take the Type J kit and Toyo fenders to Robert for paint, and only need to make one trip. But it's grown on me very quickly. The one thing that sticks out that looks ugly to me is the stance with the Bottlecaps sucked way into the fenders. Some wide, deep-lipped wheels would totally change this thing around IMO. And the coilovers can go about down about two more inches, so I could slam the piss out of it for a car shows and whatnot.

Thursday, July 05, 2012 8:11 AM
I'm a huge wagon fan. Like it. Plaid color is a little funky......wish it were a little darger green but still dig it.

Thursday, July 05, 2012 8:56 AM
Been looking forward to seeing this evan, im hoping to find a 2002+ passat wagon to customize so i can have more room for the kids

Modding my j since I found the org
Thursday, July 05, 2012 10:00 AM
What's up with the mirrors? they look fuzzy, like they're growing hair... haha

Flickr Photostream Facebook Twitter
Thursday, July 05, 2012 7:28 PM
alejandro davila wrote:Been looking forward to seeing this evan, im hoping to find a 2002+ passat wagon to customize so i can have more room for the kids

Thanks, bro. I approve of the B5/B6 Passat as well. If you can find one with the V6 and 4Motion, do it lol.

Thanks Joey. The teal on the plaid has lightened up a lot since the PO put it in. The Florida sun will kill anything, I swear to God. The cool part is that I recently got some lettering tattooed across my fingers, and the letters are two-tone teal and black. I didn't even realize it matched my interior until my gf pointed it out on our way to Philly last month lol.

You're right, Bobby.. they are fuzzy. Another thing the PO did while he had it, and even had the entire hood done at one point. I asked him to take the fur off of the mirrors before I came to pick it up, but he has a hectic schedule like I do and didn't have the time. And really, I'm too lazy to do it myself and it's not enough of an eyesore to engage any motivation to do do lol.

Thursday, July 05, 2012 7:43 PM
You bought the car to deliver a body kit and fenders? Must have been a great deal. Renting a vehicle may have been cheaper. Even if that was the reason for buying it I'd still keep it. Wagons are more useful than most give them credit for.

Thursday, July 05, 2012 9:31 PM
Dont care for it. No hate.

Thursday, July 05, 2012 9:59 PM
thevilliagemon wrote:You bought the car to deliver a body kit and fenders? Must have been a great deal. Renting a vehicle may have been cheaper. Even if that was the reason for buying it I'd still keep it. Wagons are more useful than most give them credit for.

Not entirely. I was in the market for a daily until the Pearl is back on the road anyway, and really, I was looking for a Mk3 Jetta GLX VR6. I asked the PO if he knew of any, and he mentioned that his wagon was for sale. The first thing that popped into my head was, "I can finally get these parts to Jacksonville to get painted and put back on the car.". I mean, I could have borrowed a pick-up, but I've been wanting back into the Dub scene since 2005 or so, and it's not every day you see a VR 5spd wagon. It just seemed appropriate and practical, and I don't regret it at all.

Thursday, July 05, 2012 10:01 PM
You won't hear me say this much, but you should shave the corner lights. The corners break it up in all the wrong waysIt would also look good to tint the tails and black out the area with the tag, to visually widen the rear.

Friday, July 06, 2012 5:45 AM
Evan Undead (The Black Pearl) wrote:You're right, Bobby.. they are fuzzy. Another thing the PO did while he had it, and even had the entire hood done at one point. I asked him to take the fur off of the mirrors before I came to pick it up, but he has a hectic schedule like I do and didn't have the time. And really, I'm too lazy to do it myself and it's not enough of an eyesore to engage any motivation to do do lol.

I didn't even notice that the first time around wtf!

Friday, July 06, 2012 7:14 AM
Not sure "flying Dutchman" is a fitting name. I think naming every car u own KS retarded, but if u must, this one really should be called Fur Burger

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search