Mod ideas for 1996 pontaic trans am - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Mod ideas for 1996 pontaic trans am
Saturday, July 07, 2012 2:17 PM
Hey guys i gotta 1996 trans am lt1 six speed has a cold air intake(k&n) and dual exhaust from the manifolds... i need some more ideas any help? thanks guys

Re: Mod ideas for 1996 pontaic trans am
Saturday, July 07, 2012 10:38 PM
damn near clean slate. five letters. B.o.o.s.t
Sunday, July 08, 2012 4:06 PM
$ for $ boost will make more power. Do a remote mount turbo setup.

Sunday, July 08, 2012 7:28 PM
change the optispark before it dies and boost her

Monday, July 09, 2012 12:24 PM
sell it and buy an LS1

Monday, July 09, 2012 7:37 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:sell it and buy an LS1

^ as a former owner of a 96 lt1 formula this is your best bet..... The ls1 cars are getting pretty cheap and are better in every way than an lt1 car.

If you plan on keeping the 96 I would just do bolt on's such as intake, exhaust, headers, shifter, suspension, etc.
Tuesday, July 10, 2012 3:14 PM
you can get good hp out of the LT1. people have done it

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Tuesday, July 10, 2012 3:32 PM
Its not that they have not... its just a lot harder to do it. Its like the 2200 of jbodies it can make power just takes more work is all.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 3:37 PM
The whole thing of "oh just swap in a LS1" is idiotic. The LT1 is more than capable. Most LT4 parts bolt right on and give a sizeable increase in power. They are still in the GM Performance parts catalog I think. Summit Racing has a ton of parts for them. Either Vortech or Procharger does make a supercharger kit for it. Of course before boosting you would want to make sure the engine is in good working order. Personally I like the look of the 93-97 much better than the 98+, that goes for Camaro and Firebird. The non LS1 cars are also much less expensive to have.

Tuning is more tricky since the pcm is much less advanced and you can't use modern laptop type tuners like HP tuners. Its not impossible or expensive though. Just not as easy for those of us in the spoiled world of plug and play. You have to do things a bit more old school. Some people find that more rewarding. If memory serves I think the six speeds from the factory were actually rated at 17/25 MPG, which ironically is about the same as a modern 5.0 mustang or Camaro.

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search