Tires for 2006 Corolla S? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tires for 2006 Corolla S?
Tuesday, October 30, 2012 2:08 PM
Time is coming before winter to replace the womans tires. Usually when I order tires, its very easy, cut dry on what I need to put power to the ground. Her corolla on the other hand is a gas sipper that doesnt need sticky single season tires. Problems I am having is reading the reviews on tire rack from people, im guessing they either dont know how to drive, or expect them to last forever.

They are just a simple 195/65/15 I think. Car has 80k on it and just now coming time for another set of tires. Mainly looking at some all seasons since we do get some snow and my gut feeling says we will have snow that my truck wont even make it through but she needs something to get through some small snows. Not in her budget to go with a dedicated snow tire like i want to so all seasons it is. Dont care about road noise, she has a small stereo in the car to fix all that. Just want longevity and something that will wear even and not fall apart after 15k miles.

Any recommendations you guys have on FWD all seasons that will fit, Id love to hear it.

Re: Tires for 2006 Corolla S?
Tuesday, October 30, 2012 4:23 PM
The Hankook Optimo 727's were pretty good on my woman's cavalier.
Good in the snow and great in the rain, plus Discount Tire Direct on Ebay has $100 rebate until the 4th I think.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:46 PM
If she can handle the loss of a few Mpgs until they break in, I'd go with the Cooper CS4s. Handle much better in the snow than I thought....

http://www.autotalk.com/pictures/data/1536/medium/2005_Chevrolet_Cavalier_Xtreme_002_autotalk_com_.jpg
Tuesday, October 30, 2012 7:13 PM
Continental extreme contact dws....

Great price and a great tire from what ive read.
Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:49 PM
SLOCAV wrote:The Hankook Optimo 727's were pretty good on my woman's cavalier.
Good in the snow and great in the rain, plus Discount Tire Direct on Ebay has $100 rebate until the 4th I think.

yeah i looked at them... Did hers ever get noisy? sounds like that is the biggest issue, followed by uneven wear. Once they break in people are saying wet traction is terrible and they are dangerous... sometimes reviews suck, other times they help...

the extreme contact dws dont come in a 15 from tire rack... ill look at other places to see though. im looking up the cooper cs4s now.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:02 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:
SLOCAV wrote:The Hankook Optimo 727's were pretty good on my woman's cavalier.

yeah i looked at them... Did hers ever get noisy? sounds like that is the biggest issue, followed by uneven wear. Once they break in people are saying wet traction is terrible and they are dangerous... sometimes reviews suck, other times they help...

the extreme contact dws dont come in a 15 from tire rack... ill look at other places to see though. im looking up the cooper cs4s now.

I'm having a set of the Hankook Optimo 727's put on my dd buick on Friday and I'll let you know how they are. I think some of those people that leave reviews on tire rack are idiots, especially the couple of people that say that these tires are dangerous in the rain. They have very deep thread, are supposedly awesome in the snow, are pretty cheap, have good reviews, and have a rebate, that's why I bought them.
Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:32 PM
Let me know. I love the reviews that say their vehicles handle like a pig on ice... when they are driving an express cargo van with all seasons on it... no kidding your tank handles terrible on ice... or the guy saying they squeal when he turns at 40mph....love some of the reviews.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:33 PM
I ran the Fuzion HRi (made by Bridgestone) as a daily and loved them, especially for ringing in at like $80 per corner. Handles well, good grip for an all season, and handled wet roads and light snow without issue. Nice meaty tread design to them. I think the HRi have been replaced now by either the VRi or Touring models, but basically the same. When it comes time to replace the factory tires on our Elantra dd, I'm sure I'll be going with these again

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:51 PM
Here's another option to check out

http://www.pepboys.com/tires/sbs/195/65/15/P/ALL/01465/

Not sure if you're set on ordering from tire rack but I had these tires on my '96 protege winter beater and my sister had them on her '01 corolla. Quiet tire, handled well in the snow. No complaints.
Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:55 PM
Just realized it wasnt the right link in the post above, From Pepboys, brand is Definity and tire is EX600...
Wednesday, October 31, 2012 7:14 AM
She had the Hankooks for about 2 years so far, and my brother just put them on his Monte. Both of which are wearing well and aren't loud to me. I like them personally.

I have cooper CS4's on the Cobalt and absolutely hate them, horrible in the rain, I can spin 2nd without getting on it very hard (this is a stock cobalt). Not to mention I lost one of the tires due to the bead tearing in half. I stay away from Coopers, and always will after I take the rest of them off the car. They were crappy in the snow, and crappy in the rain, decent on dry pavement that's about it. The set I got was rated for 80k, I have maybe a max of 38k on them and they have maybe a 1/4 life left.

Check out discount tire direct, they are doing the $100 rebate on ebay, great deals.

Thursday, November 01, 2012 10:48 AM
I ran my cav (lowered and boosted) through winter with Goodyear Triple Treads on it (225/50 i think, size) and it did great. I ran other tires in that size a year before and it was all over the place.

I have had them on for 10k miles and only the fronts are showing wear (about 60% tread left) but I beat on the car every time I drive it lol. I also never rotated them, but it looks like i will only need 2 replacements now). If I rotated them like you're supposed to and drove the car nicely I doubt the wear would be much at all. The car got a max of 38mpg when driving normally (off boost) to and from work over the summer.

I bet in a 195 size they would be pretty darn good in the snow, since wider tires float more and I didn't have any problems in a lowered car (it probably saw 5" at a max, with the occasional berm of higher snow through intersections at speed). A couple times I got in a tight spot, but nothing a few hits in 2nd couldn't free me from.

lol I dont know if there is any noise from them, the car makes plenty of other noises all on its own.

They were a bit pricey (around $700 installed iirc) but totally worth it. Best tires for inclement weather aside from the a/t's on my blazer that I have ever run.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Friday, November 02, 2012 5:55 PM
I had Kelly Explorers on my stock steelies for my '98 Cavalier.

Bought them as a cheap tire since I was still in high school but they performed great. Put 20k on them with barely any wear visible and they were pretty quiet on the highway.

Friday, November 02, 2012 6:42 PM
SLOCAV wrote:She had the Hankooks for about 2 years so far, and my brother just put them on his Monte. Both of which are wearing well and aren't loud to me. I like them personally.

I have cooper CS4's on the Cobalt and absolutely hate them, horrible in the rain, I can spin 2nd without getting on it very hard (this is a stock cobalt). Not to mention I lost one of the tires due to the bead tearing in half. I stay away from Coopers, and always will after I take the rest of them off the car. They were crappy in the snow, and crappy in the rain, decent on dry pavement that's about it. The set I got was rated for 80k, I have maybe a max of 38k on them and they have maybe a 1/4 life left.

Check out discount tire direct, they are doing the $100 rebate on ebay, great deals.

I one thing I do not like about hankooks is that they wear pretty fast, like Kumbo tires. The only HK tire that does not wear as fast would be the High milage II ones.....

And pretty much any tire sucks on the Cobalt... I have Sumitomos on mine.....

CS4s tend to wear better when T rated....

Also: Sumitomos HTR T4s/LSTs, BFG Touring/ Advantage TAs, P4s.....

http://www.autotalk.com/pictures/data/1536/medium/2005_Chevrolet_Cavalier_Xtreme_002_autotalk_com_.jpg
Saturday, November 03, 2012 1:01 AM
A quick search on ToyotaNation shows a few recent opinions that sound reasonable:

Pilot Exalto
Bridgestone RE960/RE970
Michelin Defender

There are literally tons of tires for this size. I checked 1010tires (think of it as Canada's TireRack), and there were almost 100 different options including winter tires. As a former owner of the same basic car (mine was a CE), I can say no bad about the stock tires. They handled our winters just fine for all seasons. As long as you drove reasonably, they even handled ice pretty well. Can't remember what they were, but I imagine you have the means of finding out.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Saturday, November 03, 2012 1:06 AM
Yeah i tried looking on toyota nation but when it comes to people and their cars, they dont seem to know a whole lot. measured them using a penny and she wants to try them this winter and build more of a reserve up to buy better tires if need be. 2/4 have way better tread than the others. The car is paid off so its not like it owes her anything. Not to mention 80k miles on the car. 40-45k on this set of tires. She has not had to put a dime into it besides front brakes.

Also, called the auto parts store and they said the fuel filter is a non serviceable? does that mean there is no external fuel filter? Just the one in the tank?

Saturday, November 03, 2012 5:09 PM
look into the bridgestone weatherforce. good all around tire. that is the sears name for the tire, a slightly different pattern s available from other vendors. good i nthe rain, good in snow, unlike the 727 it is a 50k tire so the rubber is not so hard that it turns to rock at 32*

Sunday, November 04, 2012 5:31 PM
Cruisin4DrCav wrote:I had Kelly Explorers on my stock steelies for my '98 Cavalier.

Bought them as a cheap tire since I was still in high school but they performed great. Put 20k on them with barely any wear visible and they were pretty quiet on the highway.

x2. I have had Kelly Explorers (205/55/16) for my winter wheel and tire setup on my Vibe for the past 3 winters and I have no complaints with them. They handle snow just fine, as long as you don't drive like an idiot. Definitely a good tire for the price (I want to say it was around $400.00 installed for them back in 2009).

Friday, November 16, 2012 10:04 PM
Michelin Defender. We put them on Corolla's everyday at work, actually, we put them on everything. They took over from the Harmonys last year. Great tires, long life and very quiet.

Friday, November 16, 2012 10:43 PM
gtpsunfire wrote:Michelin Defender. We put them on Corolla's everyday at work, actually, we put them on everything. They took over from the Harmonys last year. Great tires, long life and very quiet.

Thought about those myself...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search