Family Fun Car Part II - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Family Fun Car Part II
Thursday, January 31, 2013 4:45 PM
My '99 Outback has served us well, with no issues I might add. After this tax season I will have no car payments so I will be looking for a newer quicker more fun filled daily driver that I can keep and enjoy for a long time.

I'm looking for opinions on the cars I have in mind and suggestions on something I may not have thought of.

Requirements: AWD, four doors, good cargo/trunk space, good reliability, have a fun/X factor

Budget: $25,000

Vehicles on the list as of now:

08-11 Sti, likes: 6spd, very sporty, great aftermarket, sticking with same manufacturer

10-11 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost, likes: many luxury options, heated front and rear seats, ac front seats, dual sunroof, great power, tuned 400+hp

10-11 Taurus SHO, likes: same power as MKS & almost as many luxury options

Member of J-body of Michigan. I'm parting out, BUY MY STUFF!!

Re: Family Fun Car Part II
Thursday, January 31, 2013 5:41 PM
Wide variety for sure.

IMO the Suby will cost more out the door as well as down the road. Regardless of what you have to fix. But owning one you already know that.

I know quite a few people with the new SHO and they love them. Tinted and small mods made them VERY comfortable and sporty. Meth, livernois stage 4, 3rd cat delete, magnaflow catback and springs and should be in the 11's. Another SHO just made 435 RWHP and 540 RWTQ with upgraded turbos!

I have not seen much of lincolns or where they have been headed.

Glad to see you are still around! Hopefully I can road trip a ways away this year!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Thursday, January 31, 2013 5:44 PM

Thursday, January 31, 2013 6:30 PM
Holy stranger!

Thursday, January 31, 2013 7:06 PM
Joe Schulte wrote:Holy stranger!

I still lurk here to check out what's goin on. Never log in tho

Thanks Vince! Lincoln is the same basic car as the SHO just their version. All the tunes and exhaust out there work with them aswell. Would deffinatly do the livernois tune, from the small amount of research I've done theirs sounds awesome, plus there in Michigan! I've actually driven an Sti and MKS. I think I'm leaning towards the Lincoln more, which surprises me. They were both in stock form and both felt the same power wise, the Sti was more fun in a sporty way but the MKS I think would be a nicer place to be every day. And heated seats are nice, which are not avail in the subbie, not to mention ac seats! There's another dealer about 20 min that has a SHO and MKS I wanna go see and compare the two.

Thursday, January 31, 2013 7:55 PM
It's just like you said. The sti will definitely be more fun especially in the corners, but the mks is the power you want with the comfort your family would want on a longer drive. All that said I vote the SHO because it's the same power, most of the comfort, and likely less cost for repairs down the road.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:01 PM
Yeah for a DD you will want the heated/cooled seats. Especially nights like tonight where its 10 below zero. Small comforts pay off. Subie seems fun, but not as comfortable or practical.

Whats the support like for the lincoln? Much long time support and parts?

Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:05 PM
im gonna voice my opinion towards the SHO. seems more like something someone your age would fit to.

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.
Friday, February 01, 2013 1:03 AM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:Wide variety for sure.

IMO the Suby will cost more out the door as well as down the road. Regardless of what you have to fix. But owning one you already know that.

I know quite a few people with the new SHO and they love them. Tinted and small mods made them VERY comfortable and sporty. Meth, livernois stage 4, 3rd cat delete, magnaflow catback and springs and should be in the 11's. Another SHO just made 435 RWHP and 540 RWTQ with upgraded turbos!

I have not seen much of lincolns or where they have been headed.

Glad to see you are still around! Hopefully I can road trip a ways away this year!

Ain't all SHO's and MKS EcoBoost AWD? That's great numbers for an all wheel drive family luxury hauler. lol.

I like that SHO but I would personally rock the MKS.
Friday, February 01, 2013 5:43 AM
01cavZ24 wrote:

Ain't all SHO's and MKS EcoBoost AWD? That's great numbers for an all wheel drive family luxury hauler. lol.

I like that SHO but I would personally rock the MKS.

Yep both awd. And have fantastic power right from the factory 365 horse, and like Vince said easily 400+ with light mods.

The MKS has all the same support as the SHO. Same car just different body panels and interior, similar to cavalier/sunfire. I found out last night the Lincoln warranty is 4yr/50,000 bumper to bumper where the SHO is 3yr/36,000.

Friday, February 01, 2013 6:14 AM
I vote for the Subaru. It's more your style.

Last time I checked, the Taurus has a terribly small back seat when it comes to leg room. Might be an issue down the road!

Plus..Who can deny that boxer growl?

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Friday, February 01, 2013 9:39 AM
Qwik2k2z24 wrote:I vote for the Subaru. It's more your style.

Last time I checked, the Taurus has a terribly small back seat when it comes to leg room. Might be an issue down the road!

I actually sat in the back seat of the MKS I drove, with the seat about an inch back from where it was comfortable for me to drive I had plenty of room back there, I don't know but wouldn't think the SHO would be any different.

You are absolutly correct on the noise, turbo and exhaust are much better sounding on the Sti, I know I would be happy with it I'm just affraid it would be more racey instead of comfortable, especially down the road. And I have the Z28 for that.

Friday, February 01, 2013 10:12 AM
I vote sti. the tarus i drove had some pretty nasty blind spots and wasn't all that comfy imo (granted i drove an sel not am sho )

The sti i drove was awesome in the bends and Im a sucker for a 6spd

Friday, February 01, 2013 11:49 AM
Raising a hand for Subaru as well, just because I love 'em!
Nice to see another '99 Outback driver as well! How many miles? I'm up around 165k I think on mine. This past year it got new tires, shocks, springs & most recently a mainfold back exhaust with high flow muffler to free up some powah! haha... No really though, it feels more peppy & seems to respond more quickly.
Also got an '05 Legacy GT Limited for my fun daily, that's got just shy of 91k with some fresh tires for playing in the snow!

<3

Friday, February 01, 2013 12:10 PM
ACav2Envy wrote:on the Sti, I know I would be happy with it I'm just affraid it would be more racey instead of comfortable, especially down the road. And I have the Z28 for that.

I know what you mean there. Kind of why I got my truck... Sure there is aftermarket for it. decent supercharger, quite a few LS based mods... but in the end it is unable to be a race vehicle and I have my car for that. Im not NEARLY as tempted to mod my truck like I would have been had I got the other options I was looking at.

Sounds like that MKS is a great option with the 4/50k Being a DD miles will add up fast no matter what. You just dont hear much about Lincoln these days. Hopefully they have the service and support as some of the other companies.

Friday, February 01, 2013 4:10 PM
ACav2Envy wrote:

I actually sat in the back seat of the MKS I drove, with the seat about an inch back from where it was comfortable for me to drive I had plenty of room back there, I don't know but wouldn't think the SHO would be any different.

You are absolutly correct on the noise, turbo and exhaust are much better sounding on the Sti, I know I would be happy with it I'm just affraid it would be more racey instead of comfortable, especially down the road. And I have the Z28 for that.

It sounds like you already made up your mind my man..

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Friday, February 01, 2013 4:13 PM
stargrrrl wrote:Raising a hand for Subaru as well, just because I love 'em!
Nice to see another '99 Outback driver as well! How many miles? I'm up around 165k I think on mine. This past year it got new tires, shocks, springs & most recently a mainfold back exhaust with high flow muffler to free up some powah! haha... No really though, it feels more peppy & seems to respond more quickly.
Also got an '05 Legacy GT Limited for my fun daily, that's got just shy of 91k with some fresh tires for playing in the snow!

I've got 157k on mine. Did some mods but not many, unequal length header heat wrapped, had a catback on it but changed it out for a 04 9-2x catback with resonators removed, 04 forester 6disc stereo, iPod aux hookup, 4300k hids, blacked the headlight housings, yellow tinted fogs and amber tinted corners. I did the timing using all subaru parts when i first got the car not knowing if it had been done before, and replaced the rear struts with Monroe OESpectrum struts. Has really been a great car, very fun to play in the snow, and i average 27 mpg. Thats one reason i like the idea of sticking with subaru. I love those legacy gt's my favorite of the legacy models!

BuiltNBoosted wrote:
ACav2Envy wrote:on the Sti, I know I would be happy with it I'm just affraid it would be more racey instead of comfortable, especially down the road. And I have the Z28 for that.

I know what you mean there. Kind of why I got my truck... Sure there is aftermarket for it. decent supercharger, quite a few LS based mods... but in the end it is unable to be a race vehicle and I have my car for that. Im not NEARLY as tempted to mod my truck like I would have been had I got the other options I was looking at.

Sounds like that MKS is a great option with the 4/50k Being a DD miles will add up fast no matter what. You just dont hear much about Lincoln these days. Hopefully they have the service and support as some of the other companies.

I'm planning on going tomarrow to compare the MKS and SHO, we'll see what I think about em after that. So then I can start the hunt for exactly what I want, color interior/exterior, options, price, miles, I'm absolutly going to find exactly what I want if I'm gonna be keeping it for as long as i think i will and spending that kinda money! Miles do rack up quick when I bought the outback it had 125k ish but driving 25miles to work one way and now 2 years later I've put over 30k on it.

Friday, February 01, 2013 4:52 PM
ACav2Envy wrote:
stargrrrl wrote:Raising a hand for Subaru as well, just because I love 'em!

I've got 157k on mine. Did some mods but not many, unequal length header heat wrapped, had a catback on it but changed it out for a 04 9-2x catback with resonators removed, 04 forester 6disc stereo, iPod aux hookup, 4300k hids, blacked the headlight housings, yellow tinted fogs and amber tinted corners. I did the timing using all subaru parts when i first got the car not knowing if it had been done before, and replaced the rear struts with Monroe OESpectrum struts. Has really been a great car, very fun to play in the snow, and i average 27 mpg. Thats one reason i like the idea of sticking with subaru. I love those legacy gt's my favorite of the legacy models!

BuiltNBoosted wrote:

I'm planning on going tomarrow to compare the MKS and SHO, we'll see what I think about em after that. So then I can start the hunt for exactly what I want, color interior/exterior, options, price, miles, I'm absolutly going to find exactly what I want if I'm gonna be keeping it for as long as i think i will and spending that kinda money! Miles do rack up quick when I bought the outback it had 125k ish but driving 25miles to work one way and now 2 years later I've put over 30k on it.

Nice! I haven't modded mine at all beyond a doggy barrier & bike rack. We've had problems with the headlights fogging, does yours have an issue? It seems they need to be polished every 6 months or so. I've been driving mine as a 2nd car for 8 years & put in about 60k in that time. It's nothing but reliable, totally sold me & a few around me on Subaru.

Friday, February 01, 2013 5:12 PM
I vote STI. I just picked up a 2010 Subaru WRX Limited sedan. Absolutely love it. Heated leather seats, heated windshield, HIDs, sunroof, all the goodies. It's a blast to drive, rides very comfortably and plenty of room inside. And like others have said, there is absolutely NOTHING like a growl of a boxer engine!

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Friday, February 01, 2013 5:16 PM
You can't tell me these don't look sexy....

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Friday, February 01, 2013 7:51 PM
stargrrrl wrote:
Nice! I haven't modded mine at all beyond a doggy barrier & bike rack. We've had problems with the headlights fogging, does yours have an issue? It seems they need to be polished every 6 months or so. I've been driving mine as a 2nd car for 8 years & put in about 60k in that time. It's nothing but reliable, totally sold me & a few around me on Subaru.

I thought that was weird with the lights! Deffinatly do have to keep up on them, nice to know its not just me!

Those are great looking cars! I would go with a hatch if I do go Sti tho. So if you have heated seats it is an option for wrx but not the Sti? That seems strange

Friday, February 01, 2013 7:55 PM
Qwik2k2z24 wrote:
ACav2Envy wrote:

It sounds like you already made up your mind my man..

I would like to say I have but I really am torn. The cars are similar yet so different. If I go with one of the Ecoboost it'll be the first car I've owned that is not a manual trans.

Friday, February 01, 2013 8:45 PM
I would go STi given the funds!

Maybe the current snowfall has inspired such feeling though.

Friday, February 01, 2013 10:06 PM
ACav2Envy wrote: If I go with one of the Ecoboost it'll be the first car I've owned that is not a manual trans.

Its so nice to hop in a vehicle and just put it in D and go. No clutch to worry about. Especially when its cold. I have my car for grabbing gears. Not to mention if your woman can/cant drive stick it helps with the auto.

Saturday, February 02, 2013 6:44 AM
Joe Schulte wrote:I would go STi given the funds!

Maybe the current snowfall has inspired such feeling though.

I saw how much you guys go out that way! Crazy man!! I'm jelous

Well looks like I won't be checking out the SHO & MKS today, gf has to go into work earlier than planned and taking a 8 month old to the dealer is not happening. Maybe one of their late nights durring the week

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 5:16 PM
Well here's what I've came up with at this point. I think I'll be going for the STi. Here's the reasons why I choose this route:
-being a 6spd is a big plus and I think I would get very tired of an automatic
-the resale is much better for Subaru vs ford and 10yrs or whatever it may be I'll have more to gain back
-better reliability not that the others are not but thinking of a my car and others Subaru's in the '99 year range vs any '99 ford there are a lot less issues
-a friend I was talking with said "when have you ever had a car that is easily overlooked" man that really got me to step back
-thinking of what I could see sharing my garage with the Z28 I get much more excitement thinking of an Sti in there
-I've wanted an Sti before they were even avail in the U.S when the WRX was released with the bugeye model

So I'll be searching for what I like and really start looking in spring/early summer. If anyone sees something in their area let me know, as I'm thinking of buying a plane ticket to wherever if non local and driving back! I'll be sure to post up when I get something. Thanks for all the help and opinions!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search