RX-7 project - Page 2 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: RX-7 project
Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:52 AM
ls is also an option im strongly considering. what about the v6 that come in the camaros and firebirds? or were those the engines cursed with bad head gaskets?

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 4:44 PM
pvtmcmuffin wrote:ls is also an option im strongly considering. what about the v6 that come in the camaros and firebirds? or were those the engines cursed with bad head gaskets?

Which one? The 3800? They have a few problems with LIM gaskets but a supercharger from a GTP fixes that.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 4:49 PM
Brian (TheSundownFire) wrote:
pvtmcmuffin wrote:ls is also an option im strongly considering. what about the v6 that come in the camaros and firebirds? or were those the engines cursed with bad head gaskets?

Which one? The 3800? They have a few problems with LIM gaskets but a supercharger from a GTP fixes that.

Do you mean 3100/3400? I can count the number of leaking 3800 manifolds I have seen on one hand.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Wednesday, March 13, 2013 5:12 PM
no build thread for the impala yet, i have a bunch of pics of it though. Suburbans had the engines, as did the trucks. Many of them may be a bit worn out. I usually try to find one where the body and interior were nicer, tend to be in better shape.

Another option is a TPI L98 with the holley stealth ram, not as much power out of the box but killer torque and i personally like the looks of it. would also be more period correct. Throw vortec heads on it and have a comfortable 300hp and near 400 ft lbs

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:58 PM
Oedwards wrote:
Brian (TheSundownFire) wrote:

Do you mean 3100/3400? I can count the number of leaking 3800 manifolds I have seen on one hand.

the 3400
My Z is Slow (Mike) wrote:no build thread for the impala yet, i have a bunch of pics of it though. Suburbans had the engines, as did the trucks. Many of them may be a bit worn out. I usually try to find one where the body and interior were nicer, tend to be in better shape.

Another option is a TPI L98 with the holley stealth ram, not as much power out of the box but killer torque and i personally like the looks of it. would also be more period correct. Throw vortec heads on it and have a comfortable 300hp and near 400 ft lbs

ill look into this as well! thanks for helping me with all these ideas! i really hoping i can start on this in the next few months

Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:44 AM
okay, so here is what i am thinking(it will probably change tomorrow, gotta love teenage minds). im thinking the 4.3 vortec. i know that they have problems, but i can fix all that while the engine is out. intake gasket shouldnt be hard to do. im probably going to go with a 4l60 trans, because for some reason i just prefer autos. i know the 4.3 doesnt have much aftermarket support, but i dont really plan on boosting or getting massive performance out of it. my biggest worry is going to be the electrical stuff, because i hate that kind of stuff.

Friday, March 15, 2013 10:00 PM
ecotec wouldn't be that hard really. if you used an L61 you could either get a solstice trans or even use one from an ln2 s10 with a 1/4" adapter plate. The SA22 RX7 is solid rear axle so driveshaft would be easy enough. so you'd just have to figure the mounts. this would probably be a cheap swap overall. there are better option s and I'd probably only do that if i had the parts lying around. just you said you liked the idea so thought i'd say it wouldn't be too bad. but for the level of work vs power, but then same really goes for the 60* v6's for the most part. i'd probably go SBC myself

Sunday, March 17, 2013 12:05 AM
Wärtsilä RT-flex96C swap.

/fin

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Tuesday, March 19, 2013 6:49 AM
blu04DD wrote:W�rtsil� RT-flex96C swap.

/fin

I dunno I heard they have wicked bottom end problems:

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, March 23, 2013 6:37 AM
As we speak horsepowertv is swapping an ls1 into an 87 rd-7, lol.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, March 23, 2013 8:34 AM
Y3llowCav wrote:As we speak horsepowertv is swapping an ls1 into an 87 rd-7, lol.

Must be a sign.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
~Using nitrous is like having sex with a hot chick with an STD, you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences.~

Saturday, March 23, 2013 8:56 AM
Y3llowCav wrote:As we speak horsepowertv is swapping an ls1 into an 87 rd-7, lol.

e3 plugs and a magnaflow. thats real horsepower there

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Monday, March 25, 2013 6:59 AM
99redz24 wrote:

e3 plugs and a magnaflow. thats real horsepower there

Don't forget those stock manifolds and single exhaust! There's no way they actually dyno all those motors with e3's. They must thread one in for the show and then replace it with a real plug right away, lol.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, March 30, 2013 8:51 PM
well, spring break is now here and i pulled the car out of the garage. gas tank is drained. my dad wants to see if we can get the rotary started up before i start tearing it out. for the engine i am thinking a 350 or a 283. a carbed engine is going to be a lot easier since i wont have to deal with wiring. as for the transmission i am liking the idea of a powerglide.

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 8:09 AM
Here is some inspiration for you. This car was at a CRAZY meet in RI last Saturday. 383 stroker w/ a big centrifugal supercharger sticking out of the hood. It has what I assume is a 4" exhaust headers back and is so loud I thought bombs were going off when it was shooting flames. Then the cops showed up...

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, April 02, 2013 9:35 AM
That thing is awesome

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 9:50 AM
pvtmcmuffin wrote:That thing is awesome

Get on it man! lol. Seriously though the videos do no justice to the sound of that thing; completely insane.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, April 02, 2013 10:03 AM
Haha I wish I could do everything right now, but im still saving up. I'm moving the car to my grandparents pole barn at the end of the month. Once its there it will be a lot easier to work on. This summer I should be able to start doing more, especially since ill be getting graduation money. Right now my biggest worry is rust. I found some rust spots underneath the car that look like they are a bit deeper than just surface rust. But people are saying I should be able to fix it

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 10:36 AM
Yeah definitely take your time and sort out all the cancer first. Just know that until then I'm going to tease you by posting every sick RX-7 I come across on here, lol.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, April 02, 2013 5:38 PM
haha go ahead and keep the pics coming! they're good inspiration.

this is my favorite rx-7 i have seen so far. it was build by drift union

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 5:39 PM
Mmmm Work Eurolines. Definitely a sweet car.

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 7:20 PM
what do you all think about the rust? too much or fixable?

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 7:42 PM
Thats not bad at all. No more than youll find on the bottom of any typical Northern car. Its definitely at a point right now where you can stop it early or just let it go. Just depends on how much work you want to put into it and how long you want to keep it.

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 7:53 PM
okay thats good news. should i start taking care of the rust before i get into everything else?

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 4:39 AM
Now is definitely the time before you do anything else but like said above its not too bad. That last picture is the only one I think needs addressed immediately.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search