classic dubya - Page 2 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: classic dubya
Saturday, February 09, 2013 9:48 AM
Pssst....

had a blown ecotec swapped 2000 cavy, now just an 02 Grand Am, and a 74 BMW 2002...

Saturday, April 13, 2013 9:05 AM
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has any advice on prepping fiberglass fender flares. Normally I would think I could just use a bit of filler to smooth out some sketchy parts on the gelcoat, sand it, wipe it down, prime it, sand, blah blah blah. These however arent the case, the company has been known for shoddy work sometimes and although they arent bad, they need a bit of love and tweaking (originally designed for a TE27).

So basically right now im wondering if I can use filler to cover up a few small spots of exposed fiberglass around the edges, or do I have to use some gelcoat, and than do the usual prep? They dont need to be showroom perfect or anything but I would just like to do a good job.

heres a little teaser of how shes going so far...

:3

had a blown ecotec swapped 2000 cavy, now just an 02 Grand Am, and a 74 BMW 2002...
Saturday, April 13, 2013 10:41 AM
I like to use a long strand fiberglass filler to fill most small imperfections and then use a standard filler to smooth it out.

I usually use Evercoat products.

http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=38
http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=33
Saturday, April 13, 2013 11:07 AM
I really like what you're doing with it man. What's going on with the turbo? What all are you running with it?

Sunday, April 14, 2013 8:09 AM
I wouldnt mold FG to metal. Youre going to end up with headaches when it starts to crack out over time.

Sunday, April 14, 2013 8:50 AM
Dont worry Brian, I will be using some rubber lining around the edges and riveting/bolting/securing them on and not molding them to the car lol

Thanks GTMatters! I havent really got around to collecting all the exact data I need but I will be running some much needed ARP or Metric Blue head studs, new gasket, 1000cc injectors, MegaSquirt 1, etc,
The only reason right now why im really holding back (aside from just wanting to get it on the road), is because I just want to get a half decent driving season in and work out some other details of the car before dumping massive amounts of power into it. Similar setups on e30tech are running 440hp and 400 tq at the wheels at around 22 psi (if I built the engine and got bigger injectors I can run it up to about 40 psi before the turbo loses efficiency), so the whole car needs to be beefed up regardless. The rear end im planning to use is an old M535 E28 rear assembly. I only have to narrow the arms about 3 cm and than it pretty much bolts right up to my 2002. Than it will be time to bump up to big brakes and a nicer suspension setup.

Sounds good Philly D, I will look into it!.

When we dropped the engine in to see how much clearance we had after cutting, we tossed the turbo in there just for @!#$s and gigs...

Thats a big assed turbo! Finding an Intercooler to cool that beast is going to be a PITA! Might have to run either meth, a custom IC, or both.

Sunday, April 14, 2013 7:56 PM
Good to hear. I must have misread haha. I love the old 2002s. Theres one across the street from work thats been for sale FOREVER. I want it so bad but its long down the list of projects for me. Im lost with German cars.

Im excited to see what how this bad boy turns out.

Monday, April 15, 2013 5:55 PM
Jesus that turbo looks WAY bigger when you have it mocked up like that.. mother of god.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 3:26 PM
Brian, if its in decent shape you should jump on it if its not too much money. They are awesome little cars, and they are so fun to throw into the corners!

GTMatters, yeah it's a fair sized snail for sure. It's used on early 2000 cummins engines. They sound like a jet when they spool to, it's pretty rad

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 8:57 PM
You know a turbo meant to be on a Cummins is going to take forever to spool with the tiny bit of power that little motor puts out, right? I'm not saying you CANT use it's potential power, but I don't see how that's the most efficient thing you could come up with. bog......bog......bog.... bog.... SPOOLshift bog.... bog....

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 8:13 PM

Eh, starts building power just before 4000 rpm, I'd say its not too bad. Even than at a roll you can always brake boost. Thing is, the car is so light and only had 100hp to begin with and weighing 2300 lbs fully loaded that car would be pulling like a Saturn 1 rocket lol

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 8:15 PM
Mind the double post but that's on an m20b25 with an 885 head, 440 cc injector and 19 psi. I'd be flowing a bit more fuel and air for sure

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 9:56 PM
I still don't see how putting a turbo that spools at 4k on an M20 is the most effective way to get power.... I mean, for the money it costs to build a decent and reliable turbo'd M20(let alone one with a turbo that is helping for all of 2K RPM), you could pick other swaps. I am not sure about the engine bay in a 2002, but an S50/52 swap would come to mind WAY before an inefficient turbo on an M20.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:31 AM
The S5X engines are definitely wicked but there is barely any room with the baby six in there. Already had to notch about 2-3 inches off the front rad support and it still barely clears.

I've seen a number of hx35s and they never seem to be absolutely bogged down, even than its not like it would ever be the final engine and turbo choice but right now, dollar per hp, this is pretty much what seems awesome and attainable right meow. Think of it as VTec, no power below 5500, once you are rolling though The car has no use for power below the 3500 rpm anyways. At a roll I could see this thing probably outrunning almost anything you could pare it against on a regular Friday night

Sunday, May 05, 2013 12:37 AM
Well... this should speed things up a little

Thursday, August 01, 2013 3:28 PM
Updates

Sweet

Bloop!

mmm

Should be running just in time for winter

Saturday, August 03, 2013 6:42 PM
Ty Petersen wrote:The S5X engines are definitely wicked but there is barely any room with the baby six in there. Already had to notch about 2-3 inches off the front rad support and it still barely clears.

I've seen a number of hx35s and they never seem to be absolutely bogged down, even than its not like it would ever be the final engine and turbo choice but right now, dollar per hp, this is pretty much what seems awesome and attainable right meow. Think of it as VTec, no power below 5500, once you are rolling though The car has no use for power below the 3500 rpm anyways. At a roll I could see this thing probably outrunning almost anything you could pare it against on a regular Friday night

show up to red deer, theres a handful of quick vehicles out, friends S2K should be done soon and making 600+whp, single swapped supras, my jeep is going to be running double digit boost estimating power output to be around 750ish whp but gotta dyno it once done

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search