Quad powered Chevette? - Page 8 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Quad powered Chevette?
Friday, July 05, 2013 8:06 AM
Good updates.

I would leave it looking just like the one pictured. More of the "what the heck was that" comments.

Friday, July 05, 2013 9:20 AM
Thanks!

Just sold the stock engine and trans. Little more money for the Chevette fund.

Due to shipping prices, unless parts drop from the sky, I'm sure it'll keep stock look for awhile. Just lower and a little cleaner.
Should have sheet metal for the floor tonight.

Been working on the wire harness. Decided on the MEFI-4 ECM that I had laying around. Stripped down a stock engine harness, just need to cut to length and splice in the MEFI ECM harness. Noticed after all that, that my other engine harness (a '96 harness) uses the same connectors as the MEFI, just spread out over 3 connectors. Maybe I'll just strip down that one and repin it. That way if I have a problem with MEFI I can swap to OEM with out to much of a problem.

Also stripped down a body harness, thinking of rewiring the body as well, since its stripped down to a shell already.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 8:42 AM
Working on the ECM.

MEFI 4

Stock 96 LD9 harness stripped bare

Since it uses the same connectors, its just a matter of re-pinning to the new connectors and trimming the fat. (One down, one to go)

The one thing I have to work out yet is what pins control the ICM, on the MEFI side. I know it can be done, just need to find the correct wire diagram.

Ordered up the radiator. Next on the list is clutch, intake/exhaust manifolds.

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 9:33 AM
MEFI 4 is awesome.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, July 09, 2013 10:16 AM
what is mefi 4? lol

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!
Tuesday, July 09, 2013 3:41 PM
google.......

Its a stand alone. Used on boats, sand rails, hot rods, generators......

I happen to have a couple of them. And the tuning software and cable.

Connectors all swapped, just have to figure out the ICM yet.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 3:52 AM
Doesn't it control high impedance injectors natively?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Wednesday, July 10, 2013 5:49 AM
From what I've read online, it can run either or. It's been awhile since I've played with the software, but I believe it's a simple box selection. It's also batch fire, while it has inputs for the cam, you can run w/o it (batch fire and waste spark...... Only two choices on which cylinder it is! lol)

Figured out the ICM wiring, once it's all buttoned up I may try to start an engine in the engine stand.

Friday, July 12, 2013 4:05 PM
New Radiator showed up today. Going to be snug but keep that W41 cool!

22x19x2.5

Stock Chevette, new, stock cav

Friday, July 12, 2013 9:24 PM
Found a killer deal on a reman power steering rack on eBay...... couldn't pass it up. lol
Guess ill have to figure out how to turn the 2.3 PS pump off the crank now.

Also picked up a rear disk setup from a Blazer. Will have to rethink my front brakes now, since these rotors are bigger than the stock n-body ones I was planning on running up front. lol

Sunday, July 14, 2013 8:15 PM
Maybe you can possibly fab up a set of PS hoses to run off the Cam PS Pump. I think I remember Federated (Fisher Auto Parts) in our area advertising they make custom Hydraulic Hoses.

....just a thought....

Thursday, July 18, 2013 12:31 PM
F-body Brakes

Thursday, July 18, 2013 6:36 PM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:
Taking ideas from kit cars and Fiero upgrades

Unless you are hell-bent on designing your own suspension (which is awesome, btw), here's another idea for you.

Instead of reinventing the front suspension, maybe look into using the entire subframe/suspension from an existing sports car. This guy is using the entire front and rear subframe from a NC MX-5 for a TR6 project car....Click

This would also allow you to change the suspension components (shocks, sway bars, end links, etc.) without needing custom machined parts.

I have no signiture
Thursday, July 18, 2013 7:53 PM
Not to much would be custom on the setup I'm envisioning. Only real "customizing" would be adding the new shock mounts.

Aftermarket tubular Civic upper control arms
Mod the existing lower control arm to add a shock mount, trim off the spring seat, and otherwise box it in
Source a set of coil over shocks and springs
Remove upper spring seat and bump stop, add upper shock mount
'98+ S10 Blazer Knuckle and Hubs (S10 or Camaro brakes)
Chevette lower ball joint, figure out what upper bj to use

Thank you for the link though, I'll def check it out!

Started on the 2.4 rebuild so I can get this "musical engines" game under way.
(Rebuilt LD9 into my old '01 Z24, Rebuild that LD9 for my Brother's (now mine) '98 Z24, and pull the W41 from that car for the Chevette.....)

Friday, July 19, 2013 9:49 PM
No pics from today.

Power Steering rack showed up this morning. Now if I could only find a PS w/ tilt column! lol

Drew up the Coil/ICM/ECM mount plate on some cardboard. Traced it onto some aluminum and will cut that out maybe tomorrow.

Watching a set of coil over shocks on eBay, hopefully win them on Sunday. Spring rates should be a good match, or maybe a touch stiffer than I need. Once I secure some coil overs I'll commit to the Civic control arms and finish up the front suspension.

Once the front suspension is in I can drop the dummy block in and start working on the mounts and oil pan.

Saturday, July 20, 2013 6:59 AM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:

Started on the 2.4 rebuild so I can get this "musical engines" game under way.
(Rebuilt LD9 into my old '01 Z24, Rebuild that LD9 for my Brother's (now mine) '98 Z24, and pull the W41 from that car for the Chevette.....)

That sounds like fun...... NOT

Good looking project.

I suggest investing in these three things for your wiring nightmare. I use these three tools for a LOT of wiring repairs. Because diagnostic and electrical is pretty much what i do now.

Crimper

Auto wire stripper

Micro Crack Torch

Saturday, July 20, 2013 7:53 AM
That crimping tool looks pretty bad ass! When I worked at Horter we had one, wasn't as diverse, that was in a case with all the terminal pins. Wish it left with me! lol Thanks for the links! Isn't electrical diagnostic and repair fun? Pretty much all I did before I left Horter.

Should stop over some time and check the project out. Rebuilding 2 LD9's just so I can have a W41 is a bit of a pain in the ass, but worth it I guess.

Saturday, July 20, 2013 9:40 AM
Ill have to see if i can make it over life is pretty hectic and currently and for the last couple days have been without a phone... Broke it Should have a new one Monday.

I actually LOVE electrical diagnostic. I built a skip shift eliminator for my bosses 04 black GTO the other day. Plug and play and looks exactly like the SLP one. Not working at McAdams anymore that place is damn near out of business.

That crimping tool is quick change and i was able to support a 17" wheel and tire with 16 gauge wire and a heat shrunk butt connector from the crimp that tool produced. So it makes some DAMN good connections. It does weatherpack pins which i suggest you using where you have parts that could potentially need to be disconnected.

Saturday, July 20, 2013 9:09 PM
Where the hell were you when I was wiring all my crap!!!!

Can't wait to see this pile together and fired up!

Sunday, July 21, 2013 8:58 AM
Hiding from you. We all are.

Sunday, July 21, 2013 1:40 PM
Totally dropped the ball on the coil over shocks. Checked it out at 11:30, still in my price range. Waited for my "sniper" style last sec bid..... and totally spaced on the time. My work day was just about done, finished up my last stop at 12:26...... only to realize the auction ended at 12:19! DAMN!!!! Final price was WELL within my budget for them. Second time in just over a week that I did that. Last Sat night I missed my bid window by 1.5 mins on an MAF for the GTO.

Back to scouring eBay for another option. These I missed out on were basically new takeoff Billsteins w/ H&R springs from a Superformance Cobra perfect match spring rate and length/ stroke.

Sunday, July 21, 2013 3:21 PM
Some of the ball joints that come on those Civic upper arms are absolute trash. Double check the boots to make sure theyre on all of the way.

Id suggest grabbing an extra set of BJs just to have them around. Some companies will change their ball joint designs and youre fugged when it comes time to change the out.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:43 PM
few questions for you, sir!

S10 T5 trans... is the input shaft the same spline/size as an nvg/isuzu/getrag? in other words, can you use a jbody clutch disc with a t5?

S10 T5 shifter... will any of those badass billet mustang ones work or does it gotta be s10 t5 specific?

quad 4 rods bellhousing adapter, quad to T5... is this a bolt on and go deal or do you gotta modify it? i looked back in this thread and see that you had to mod ur's to work but none of the pics work for me here at work so i cant see etc...

also, the quad 4/ld9 has the same basic bellhousing pattern but there are iirc two bolt bosses that are not the same. there is one right on top by the knock sensor on the quad that the ld9 does not have, and the LD9 has one boss in the oil pan underneath that the quad doesnt use. would this be an issue for the q4r bellhousing if used on an ld9 and t5 do you think?

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:28 PM
Good questions.

S10 T5 can use the J body clutch, as long as its a NON World Class Trans

Yes, any T5 shifter should work, just need to make sure it works in the car (angle the shifter sits at)

The Manta and Q4Rods bell housings are for NON-World Class transmissions. I needed an adapter for the World Class trans.

I haven't lined up the bell housing on a Q4 block yet, but it was fine on the LD9. Wouldn't be any different then bolting up a NVG to a LD9, or F23 to a Q4.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 3:11 AM
If I can bolt a 4T40E to a quad 4 block, your fine.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search