Leaf blower turbo - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Leaf blower turbo
Tuesday, July 19, 2011 6:56 PM
So I have had this idea to turbo my car with a leaf blower and a power inverter. Here is a video to prove it works. I want boost, but don't feel like figuring it out or paying a bunch of money when I am to smart to waste money cuz I can do it myself.

Leaf Blower Bolt on Dyno pull

Now my question is, Should I run a dual intake system, Looks super tits and adds like 3 horses by itself,

With 2 stripped leaf blowers, I don't have to worry about room in the engine bay..I got a 2.2

Powered by a power inverter, I think 2500 watts would be sufficient..

And make roughly a 30HP gain? It should run fine on a stock tune because our cars normally run rich and it will even itself out for the most part. Don't try and tell me I'm stupid or my idea is dumb because I know it will work. I am smart and all my teachers told me so in school. Don't flame me in my thread or I will just block you and read your posts anyway while saying i'm not going to read them.

This is genius. Don't know why no one did it sooner!

Re: Leaf blower turbo
Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:01 PM
If someone just got out a time machine and saw this post they would swear that it actually worked, and took them back to 2001.

O noes!
Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:02 PM
It does work. Didn't you see the video?

And this is the future compared to 2001, so...it is believable too.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:03 PM
Ten years, to be exact.

Mike wrote: The secret ingredient is purple..it brings out your natural porch inhabiting, people watching tendancies

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:05 PM
In the FUTURE!

The future kinda sucks in retrospect....

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:08 PM
Gas leaf blowers move more cfm. More cfm=more powa duh. And @!#$ power inverters. Once I put my dad's gas leaf blower on my skateboard.

Mike wrote: The secret ingredient is purple..it brings out your natural porch inhabiting, people watching tendancies

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:11 PM
@!#$ gas. I'm going green son. I want a photoshop done of how this would look in my bay. I think it will look insane.

I have decided that I will put up a GP for these kits once I get it set up for myself. I know it is going to be the next thing. Electric boost. Watch out Bill Hahn Jr. I'm coming for you, This boost game ain't big enough for the two of us.

Oh yeah, Epic sig quote ftw.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:12 PM

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:21 PM
I have made an ad to promote my website and sell these kits like crack to pregnant women.

Don't mind my drunkeness in the pic. It is old too, I need a newer pic of myself.. It just shows that here at Mike Racecraft, We don't @!#$ around. We get down on jack daniels and potato chips, Then proceed to do world class vehicle customization.
Attachments
untitled.JPG (18k)

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:28 PM
i don't know what the available of these will be since i just heard about them a few weeks ago. but the new bmw m3 is going to have 3 turbos. 2 exhaust powered and one electric. maybe they are available in the aftermarket or will be shortly after they are released http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/21245/next-bmw-m3-rumored-3-turbos-small-displacement-inline-6
Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:39 PM
It works, but it will drain a battery FAST.

Buick actually does a similar thing on their top end cars. Electric turbo. But they have a second battery meant specifically for the blower, plus their is some ECM junk going on to keep it useful.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:07 PM
I'll just turn up the voltage adjuster on the alternator...poof, no more worries.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:13 PM
Just put a bilge pump from a boat in your cold air intake. blam: electric turbo.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Gerkn

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:35 PM
Nah that @!#$ is weak.. What you want is a high powered vacuum motor or hell a couple of them. Hook them up in tandem like 4 in a row with two pipes like a twin turbo setup and you'll be in the top HP spot for sure.. Plus they will take up less space.
Wednesday, July 20, 2011 4:59 AM
Make sure you run the pipes for the turbo through your car.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 5:23 AM
Hot Rod Magazine article: Leaf Blower Supercharger - Twice Blown We Supercharged Our ’85 Corvette for $413.93 Using Leaf Blowers. Don’t Laugh It Worked!

Quote:

The dyno doesn’t lie. The blue lines represent the engine without any power-adder. The green lines are the single leaf blower dyno pull. The red lines are the twins. The black lines kick in higher in the rpm band after we opened up the nitrous bottle without the blowers in play.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 7:15 AM
Im doing it fa sho.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 3:17 PM
god i love this thread

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 3:25 PM
why not just run a 50 shot and be done with it...

1999 - Cavalier - 5speed - Exhaust - 17" rims - carbon fiber hood - the beater
Wednesday, July 20, 2011 3:50 PM
Mind blown. I have NO idea what's going on...

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 8:40 PM
Mike were you hanging out with those chrysler workers again?

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:41 PM
This is not a bash post....

THey key is how much air the blowers push versus the motor... If the blower pushes less air than the motor it will starve it and you will see a reduction in power... If the blowers push more CFM than the motor and can compress it even just a little you will have a power gain.

You will have to put the blowers in parrallel with each other instead of in series (im pretty sure u already know that).

I think its a little ghetto and the cons (added weight, possible electric fire if not done right) outweigh the pros (10 hp)

Im interested to see how you are going to wire these up... hopefully you wont burn the car to the ground. Besides the things you mentioned, you will need to upgrade your alternator, possibly have another battery, AND use bigger wire (battery to alternator, battery to ground) because of the increased current flow.

How many speeds do the blowers come with and how are you going to activate them? Are the blowers going to be spinning at max rpm anytime the ignition is on or is there multiple speeds?

If you plan on running them the WHOLE time the car will be loud in a strange way especially at stoplights (which u may like LOL). The electric motor(s) will not last forever.

You can use a WOT switch to close contacts on a relay (WOT switch wont be able to handle the current) to turn on the blower but partial throttle will SUCK because the motor is drawing air through a restriction (the blower).

The best solution I can think of real quick is a WOT switch to a relay that activates the blower. To cure the partial throttle power loss you will need some kind of bypass so the leaf blowers are not a restriction. Im not sure if the AEM bypass valve can flow enough air to solve that problem but it would be a cheap fix. Another option that would definetely solve that problem is a vacuum actuated bypass valve... when the diaphragm sees vacuum it opens a butterfly valve. http://www.magnusonproducts.com/bypass.htm

From an engineering prospective I commend you for thinking outside of the box, however, I do not think this mod is cost effective if done safely.

daily: 99 civic Si
deceased: 95 cavy '00 LD9 auto swap (vandalized)

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:44 PM
From an engineering prospective ...LOL

perspective

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 10:19 PM
Delso9 - I hope you understand mike is not being serious.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 10:29 PM
I'm relieved he won't be burned alive in a cavalier then..

He totally got me. I feel dumb lol. I should've known its on the other thread

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 10:34 PM
Lol at duplicate leaf blower pics.. and 3 HP turbulence dual filter

I kinda wanted to see an jackass attempt this

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search