04 ecotec Malibu - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
04 ecotec Malibu
Saturday, August 03, 2013 9:01 PM
I picked up this 2004 Chevy Malibu with the 2.2 ecotec motor a few months ago and haven't really done much to it, My under standing is that the ecotec Is a tuner motor, i think it would be cool to build a "sleeper" so to speak, boost it and make ita lil more "fun"
Is the ecotec big enough to move that big old Malibu around with any quickness?
Will my stock auto trans hold up ?
Supercharged or turbo better ?
can this be tuned?

Looks wise i was thinking like stock but better, maybe cobalt interior?

I want my ducks in a row before i tare into this project, (know what i need and have everything)

Thank for reading, if this is a poor idea feel free to tell me before i get to far, thanks

Re: 04 ecotec Malibu
Sunday, August 04, 2013 6:23 AM
Per HPT site your car is supported.

Supercharger would make for a fun daily driver sleeper. Stock motor can handle everything the M62 could give it.

FU Tuning

Sunday, August 04, 2013 3:47 PM
I had a 04 malibu classic with the ecotec and the best advice I can give you is just drive it. If you want a cheap 4 door to mod get a 3800sc gtp, regal gs, olds, impala, etc. Nice ones can be had for 2-3k and their is actually an aftermarket unlike the malibu.
Sunday, August 04, 2013 5:04 PM
Make it a sleeper? Do a 5-speed swap and turbocharge it! Anything from a Grand Am, Alero is basically direct bolt-on, the 5-speed stuff from a Grand am will swap easily, the Ecotec of course has tons of aftermarket, and there are numerous swaps from the NWF swap to parts from a Grand Prix GTP rear suspension can be swapped with little to no fab work.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 6:19 AM
Roofy wrote:Make it a sleeper? Do a 5-speed swap and turbocharge it! Anything from a Grand Am, Alero is basically direct bolt-on, the 5-speed stuff from a Grand am will swap easily, the Ecotec of course has tons of aftermarket, and there are numerous swaps from the NWF swap to parts from a Grand Prix GTP rear suspension can be swapped with little to no fab work.
This.

Swap the 5 speed in, get the rear discs from a GA/Alero (same suspension--just need to change out the knuckles), Aluminum control arms from a 99 GA/Alero, the FE3 sway bars, F-body 12" front brakes, and turbo it.

You'd have quite a fun car with nothing but bolt-ons.

I'd also do drop springs and struts, but if you want a complete sleeper, you could skip it.

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 10:12 PM
i guess for now ill start saving up for hpt, what better about turbo over sc? sorry for the noob questions ive just never messed with earthier one
Thursday, August 08, 2013 7:30 PM
I bet I'm the only person here who knows where California, Kentucky is.

Thursday, August 08, 2013 7:40 PM
haha probably
Thursday, August 08, 2013 8:05 PM

Thursday, August 08, 2013 8:07 PM

Thursday, August 29, 2013 5:36 AM
I have a 2012 Malibu 2LT. I was actually thinking of putting the LSJ supercharger kit on it, headers, exhaust, some fuel mod's, and lowering it.

Thursday, August 29, 2013 7:38 AM
I'm guessing this car is a daily driver and it needs to be super reliable. For that fact my vote is for a supercharger. You already have the correct fuel rail to run cobalt injectors. It's literally a bolt on affair with the sc kit and they can be had/pieced together from cobaltss.net pretty cheap. You have to grind one TINY spot for the sc belt tensioner to fit but everything else just bolts right on. A decent header and a custom exhaust with a good resonator and muffler to keep the noise down would be perfect. Everything you need to know about it is here.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search