Grand Am 5 speed swap - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Grand Am 5 speed swap
Monday, December 16, 2013 8:04 AM
Okay, so i have a grand am gt with the 3.4l. Does anyone know how difficult it is to swap it from an automatic to a 5 speed, and what tranny would work? I have a 2.2 ohv tranny, which i heard would fit it, any truth? Can someone help me out please! I can't really find anything.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker

Re: Grand Am 5 speed swap
Tuesday, December 17, 2013 5:28 AM
The 2.2OHV tranny will work, but I would recommend making sure it's the same tranny from the GA with the 5-speed (except the OHV version). You'll need to make or scavange mounts, and you'll need an offset motor mount, because the 3.4 sits a little further forward than the manual tranny will sit to have the axles line up properly.

GM never made the 3.4 with a manual FWD trans, and the GA was only available with the 3.4 or Eco as a 5-speed. IIRC, the GA uses the F23 in 99+ and the Isuzu in 94-98, but I may be mistaken in the changeover year. Either way, your best bet is to match the OHV version of one of those trannies and get the mounts from an actual 5-speed GAGT.

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 9:25 AM
What year car you doing this too? I did this to my 98 and had to make custom tranny mounts plus took forever to find all the pedals and shift cables from actual 5 speed ga, sad to say now over car after sitting 3 years and probably gonna scrap it. And Mr.Quick yyou were right on the trannys, 94-98 is isuzu, 99 and up is getrag

FuzzMASTA9
Tuesday, December 17, 2013 9:27 AM
Also for my 98 had to order custom bracket bolts to top of engine bracket mounted to timing cover than bolts to upper motor mount to make axles line up

FuzzMASTA9
Thursday, December 19, 2013 7:10 AM
Pete P wrote:Also for my 98 had to order custom bracket bolts to top of engine bracket mounted to timing cover than bolts to upper motor mount to make axles line up
Exactly. The upper motor mount needs to move back about an inch from where it sits with the auto.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search