Looking at these Subies, need input - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Looking at these Subies, need input
Saturday, February 01, 2014 4:27 PM
So with income tax money incoming and my cavalier sitting all winter, I think I am going to be either trading the cavy and buying a car or buying a car and just selling the cavy outright. With a baby here, living on a bad(weather) mountain to go to school and now work, and my girlfriend and I both having 2 door cars, we need a 4 door. I have been looking for an older Suby and looking out to see if they have already had the timing done. I would REALLY love to find a late 90's early 2000's Impreza, Impreza Outback Sport, or something along those lines. Here is what I have found so far:

I am calling on Monday about this to get the scoop. Low mileage. Body looks decent too. It's an automatic, but I can live with it for the price. : <--- LOOK

http://www.bizzarroschampionshipautorow.com/1999_Subaru_Impreza_Erie_PA_224626459.veh#

Not calling about this but I LOVE the look of it, so I am sharing. haha.:

http://www.rinesautosales.com/wp_car_dealer/2000-subaru-impreza/

Really close find:

http://www.recycler.com/details/-40688387/2002-subaru-outback

This funny ad: <--- LOOK

http://classifieds.pennswoods.net/classifieds/viewad.cgi?adindex=2727829

And finally(Also LOVE the look of this): <--- LOOK

http://classifieds.pennswoods.net/classifieds/viewad.cgi?adindex=2719646

The ones that say look are the ones I am most interested if whoever reads this doesnt want to go through all of them. I could really use the input! Thanks fellas.

Re: Looking at these Subies, need input
Saturday, February 01, 2014 4:47 PM
I would avoid anything of that year range with really low miles. Definitely look for a car that has already had the headgaskets replaced on it. If you do get a low mileage one, just know that you'll probably have to do the headgaskets sometime around the 100k mile mark. If it were me, I'd take a high mileage clean one over a low mileage one.
Saturday, February 01, 2014 9:01 PM
Head gaskets aren't as common of a problem on the 2.2 cars. The legacy outback and gt you posted have the 2.5 4 cam motor which are notorious for head gaskets. If they have been done and done right, you shouldn't have issues.

Most subarus of that generation usually have rust around the rear wheel arches so it's something else to watch out for.

Saturday, February 01, 2014 9:09 PM
Yeah I thought the 2.2s were pretty solid engines. The Legacy GT I posted says it needs to have rear quarter panel work to pass its next inspection but it is a really nice car and has had a bunch of new stuff installed so i figured if i could get it for 2k I could put 500 or whatever it would take in body work and it would still be under my 3500 budget.

Tuesday, February 04, 2014 5:37 PM
Someone snatched up that one with only 77k miles ! D: hahaha. It just gives me an excuse to really look for a 5 speed now.

Wednesday, February 05, 2014 8:55 AM
I <3 my Subaru, you won't be disappointed.

Like others have said, avoid the early 2.5L motors as they are bad for head gaskets.

Also, some people say the early 5 speeds are "glass", but as long as you treat it right it should be fine. Plus with the power levels the N/A motors put out I don't think there is much to worry about.

Wednesday, February 05, 2014 9:16 AM
Yeah I know, I have been wanting a Subaru for a while now. And I am looking for cars that have had preventative maintenance done to them, so if it is a 2.5 I am looking at, I want one that has had the head gaskets done. If it is a 2.2, I want one that has already had the timing and water pump done to it. As for clutch's, I haven't heard of that but it is good to know. I guess any clutch can be glass if you are dropping the clutch like it's a rally car. hahaha.

Wednesday, February 05, 2014 10:53 AM
It's not the clutch, its the transmissions themselves that break.

But like I said, its more of a WRX/STi issue, especially once you turn up the boost...like everyone does to those cars.

Wednesday, February 05, 2014 4:48 PM
Yeah, I have heard that too. I am not really looking for anything boosted(though I wouldn't complain, it just wouldn't be in my budget), just something to get around in the winter and MAYBE keep the cavy as a DD and work on the suby in the winter for some fun.

I just watched an awesome video about people buying the older RS's and turning them into R-STI's. They buy the 30-50k mile JDM STI engines for only like $7k (because they have those mileage restriction laws) and put them into those little RS's and they have a $12-15k 2900lbs car pushing 300HP. It's awesome. haha.

Here is the video if anyone is interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuqrL86hlyY

Thursday, February 06, 2014 10:44 PM
http://allentown.craigslist.org/cto/4318327883.html

Man.. I really.. really... hope my money comes in before this is gone. I think I am in love. He said there is brand new tires on the green rims, which are on it at the moment, and he still has the gold rims but he just had them refinished so he is trying to get $1k extra. With or without the gold rims, i want this.

Sunday, February 09, 2014 2:32 AM
What do you guys think about a nice older Jeep? Like and early 2000's late 90's XJ or something. I live 1 mile from work and 1 mile from school so the reduction in MPG wouldn't be as big of a deal, and there is a bunch of local XJs around here that are real nice for a decent price.

Sunday, February 09, 2014 7:37 AM
The trannys aren't really an issue in the na cars. I've had 2 bugeye wrxs as well with no issues. Some of the older cars did have a hill holder option on the 5spds which delayed clutch engagement and may cause added wear to the clutch. (My 95 legacy had it... It can be disabled though by removing a spring)

As for a jeep, floors rot on the xjs so you'll want to climb under it and inspect the undercarriage. Also the 00-01 had a new head design on the 4.0 that crack easily if overheated. I never had that issue with mine though. Mine had 186k miles on it.

If you are looking at lifted/bigger tire jeeps, make sure you drive it at highway speeds as most have "death wobble" from improper steering geometry/worn parts. Also know that the factory axles aren't the strongest things out there if you plan on wheeling. I had 33s on my stock axles but was very easy on the skinny pedal when out on the trails.

Sunday, February 09, 2014 9:04 AM
Thanks a lot man. You are helpful as always. I knew about the rust issue underneath, and general rust issues in general for the Grand Cherokee's. I just know that certain 4.0s run forever.

What do you guys know about VWs? I know some of the VWs engines run forever and some are problems. They have so many different engine options that I get them confused. I know to avoid some of the turboed engines but not sure what sizes. And if you guys know anything else to look out for, let me know please.

Sunday, February 09, 2014 9:54 AM
I've yet to own a vw so no idea lol

Sunday, February 09, 2014 11:47 AM
Yeaaah I have done some research and the conclusion: almost all turbo charged VW engines are like flipping a coin for dependability. I researched the 1.8T particularly and they have a really weak turbo setup that has to have a turbo timer or you have to wait a few minutes before turning your car off after driving it hard or driving it for a while. I am really digging the non turbod VW's though. For the price, it is hard to beat the options they come with. But I am looking at VWs, Subies, and Jeeps officially. haha. I haven't had the itch to get a car and start digging into working on it since the Sunfire.

Monday, February 17, 2014 11:42 AM
Looking at a car this Wednesday. It is something unexpected, but something I can't pass up for the price!

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 4:24 PM
I dig the older red outback you linked to, the "funny one". Reminds me of the 1999 I had until this past summer. We sold it to help with medical bills, really wish we still had it. It had 168,xxx miles & ran like a champ. My husband's coworker bought it & she's still going strong! His daughter has fallen in love with it! It was t-boned not long after we sold it to them & insurance still fixed it. Best. Car. Ever.

Soon after selling the Outback, I also got rid of my 2005 Legacy GT Limited. Damn was that car fun! Again though, trying to pay medical bills, it was sucking down WAY too much premium gas. When I got it, my thought about the gas was that .30 more per gallon isn't THAT big of a deal, but it added up way more than I thought it would. This car HAD to go. It was blowing out headlights often, not sure what that was about. We've noticed plenty of this gen driving around with a headlight out, must be a bug. It also had the common issue of the driver's seat heater from the back of the seat slipped down into the bottom, so my back was cold & my ass was on fire haha!

Now I'm rocking a 2013 Outback Limited & my husband traded his Sunfire in on a 2014 Legacy 2.5i. Darn Sunfire's frame was too rusty to be safe, we really wish we knew that before selling our 99 Outback :/ Eh well... All of our Subarus have been extremely good to us, comfortable & able to conquer any snow we put it through. Plenty of room for people, dogs and luggage. We've gone through a summer pulling our jet ski with the Outback & it's so easy.

Obviously, I vote you find a good Subaru

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:19 AM
Ugh.. I am not catching any breaks when it comes to buying a vehicle. The one subie I was looking at the guy dragged me along for a rider for over a week and then told me he could not sell it. I found an Aveo(i know i know.. an Aveo) that only has 67k miles, is a 5 sp hatchback, in Brand new condition, for only $3500 but the guy ended up having to travel today for work and said we could do it next week. Unfortunately I have a 2 month old now, my GFs car needs inspected(so we need another car), and will be starting back to work soon, and simply need a car before next week.

All this said, I found something I am for sure going to look at tomorrow, and will most likely be purchasing. I am super excited and am already looking at lining up making a trip to Mary-land to pick up some almost brand new aftermarket parts from a guy who's car just blew up because of running too much boost at the track. The car I am going to look at has about the same aftermarket support as a Civic.. so.. I am pretty stoked.. that is if this deal doesn't go to @!#$ too. haha.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:21 AM
Oh and as for Subies, there is no decent ones in my price range left around here. Which sucks.. but what can you do.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 8:07 PM
That does suck. There's TONS of cars around me, we've got dealerships everywhere. Good luck. Try not to rush if you don't have to! I'm kind of confused as to what your rush is, looks like you have 2 cars, but they're just coupes? Yeah, that would suck for a little while with the rugrat, but a car is a very expensive "quick buy" item. Blech... kids.... haha

Thursday, February 20, 2014 8:32 PM
No I sold my cavalier last week so I didn't have to worry about waiting for my next check or income tax check because I was THAT sure the guy was going to sell me the Legacy. So we only have 1 car and my GF works a few 10-15 hour shifts a week and it is just a pain in general with only 1 car.

Anyways, I got a car and will be making a thread for it. haha.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search