I bought a DODGE NEON!!! - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I bought a DODGE NEON!!!
Sunday, August 26, 2012 7:32 PM
I am now a owner of a 2002 Dodge Neon SE. I have all the options I believe for that model... even the 4 disc CD changer. I got the car for 300 dollars. It is not in the best shape, but the motor has been rebuilt and the Trans is brand spanking new. The car popped a P0700 and a P0605 code so the previous owner decided to take it to the crusher.

I was just in the right place at the right time. He lived right across from a friend of mine. The friend needed help flushing the cooling system and we were in the garage. The neighbor was outside pushing the dang thing onto a dolly. I walked over to him and noticed he needed help loading the neon. I was more than happy to help him get it ready for the crusher. lol

Anyways, long story short.... It would not shift... I diagnosed the problem (Transmission Control Module failed) and he told me what would I give him for it. I told him no more than 300 dollars... To my surprise... He accepted. Signed the title over and I was upset all day.

Anyways. NO MORE HATE FROM ME!!!

I drove the car home at a max of 30 miles an hour. I didn't want to damage the rebuilt motor or trans. The previous owner offered to dolly the car to my place, but I lived about 33 miles away and still needed to help my friend.

Found out why the TCM failed...

I decided to go out and find another one... Didn't really want to buy a new one... so Junkyard I go. Found a totaled 2002 with all the same options. Same rims too. I snagged the TCM from that. It had a little surface rust so I pulled the cover off and had it sand blasted clean and then repainted with some Rustoleum paint. (I only had blue from a previous project.)

Finished!!

Anyways... so far the only other problem with the car involved the window switches, but they were rebuilt and now work like new. I need to realign the sunroof because it is loose in the front and sticks up some when closed, but that should be easy.

So far I have had it for just a week and I have taken back 90% of the hate I had for this thing. It is growing on me and I am glad to see this site. I have found a lot of useful information here and hope to be useful here as well.

My plans for the future include:

*2003+ front end swap with fogs or 2002 R/T
*2003+ rear end or nothing lol
*2003+ steering wheel swap
*rear view mirror with temp and compass
*new paint
*remove dents.
*new struts
*new LCA's

Here is the build sheet of my car. Figured it was kinda neat to have.

VIN:
Vehicle Description: DODGE NEON SE FOUR-DOOR SEDAN
Model Year: 2002
Body Model: PL D H 41

Sales Code Description
*K7 Cloth Low-Back Bucket Seats
-DV Dark Slate Gray
ADAP Light Group
AGS Sun/Sound Group
AJK Convenience Group
APAS Monotone Paint
ATDP Radio & Cassette/CD Changer
BA7S 250 Amp Alternator
BCUS 450 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
BRAS Power Front Disc/Rear Drum Brakes
CGCS Unique Tropical Region Requirements
CGWS Next Generation Front Air Bags**
CG6S Center Rear 3-Point Seat Belt
CKAS Carpets - Floor and Cargo Area
CKPS Trunk Dress-Up
CLES Front & Rear Floor Mats
CLPS Door Sill Scuff Pads
CSAS Spare Tire Cover
CSRP Passenger Assist Handles
CUFS Full Length Floor Console
CXAP Silver Seat Insert
DGBS All 4-Speed Automatic Transmissions
DGL 4-Speed Automatic Transmission
DHAP Lock-Up Torque Converter
DLDP 2.7 Overall Top Gear Ratio
ECB 2.0L I4 SOHC 16V SMPI Engine
GADS Tinted Glass Windows
GBBS Tinted Windshield Glass
GFAS Rear Window Defroster
GNES Passenger Side Sun Visor w/Mirror
GNFS Driver Side Sun Visor w/Mirror
GNGP Rear View Mirror w/Reading Lamps
GTGS Power Fold-Away Mirrors
GWAP Power Sunroof
GXRS Keyless Entry
GXTS Rear Door Child Protection Locks
GXXS Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System
HAAS Air Conditioning
HGDS Deluxe Insulation Group
JAAS Instrument Panel
JBKS Instr. Panel Accent Color Bezel
JCBS 120 MPH Primary Speedometer
JHAS Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
JJFS Single Low Note Horn
JKHS Glove Box
JKKS Inside Emergency Trunk Lid Release
JKPS 12V Auxiliary Power Outlet
JPAS Power Windows
JPCS Power Trunklid Release
JPHS Speed Sensitive Power Locks
K4QS STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING COLOR
LBCP Glove Box Lamp
LCKS Front Dome Lamp
LDCP Trunk Lamp
LMAS Halogen Headlamps
LMUS Ft Side Marker/Side Repeater Lamp
LPNS CHMSL Lamp
MFKS Body Color Grille
MGKS SE Badge
MGNS Dodge Badge
MLAS Body Color Fascias
MLRS Rear Painted Fascia
MLUS Front Body Color Fascia
MNKS Body Color Door Handles
MUDS Dodge I.D. Badge
MV3S Dodge Dart Badging
NAS 50 State Emissions
NBKS EVAP Control System
NBVP Low Emission Vehicle (LEV)
NFMS 12.5 Gallon Fuel Tank
NHFS Power Steering Cooler
NHMP Speed Control
PBQ Steel Blue Pearl Coat
QBQS Steel Blue Pearl Coat
RBBP AM/FM Cass Radio w/Changer Control
RCGS 6 Speakers
RDDS Fixed Long Mast Antenna
RDWP 4-Disc in Dash CD Changer
SBAS Power Rack and Pinion Steering
SCAS Steering Wheel
SDCS Touring Suspension
SHAP Front Stabilizer Bar
SUAS Tilt Steering Column
TBCS Compact Spare Tire
TQKS P185/60R15 BSW AS Touring Tires
TZAP Goodyear Brand Tires
WKK 15" Aluminum Chrome Wheels
XFAS -35F Protection Anti-Freeze
YAAS Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications

You can see some of my Cavalier in the back...

Also my motor

New and shiny lol

THe previous owner replaced it because cylinder 3 lost compression. Something with one of the valves? I don't remember.

Interior:

Also, this is my reason for a front end swap. lol

PS: The hood is popped. It is not out of alignment. Sorry for the phone pics. lol. Can't find my camera atm.

It is not a lot of damage, but it is enough to bother me. I kinda like the 2003 front with fogs a small amount better, but if I could find a 2002 R/T bumper.... then I would also be happy. lol

looking to maybe do something to it for more performance, but I could also care less. lol. Someone give me ideas other than burning it.

Also, I became a father in the last 8 months and have been busy finding a decent place to raise a family. Recently bought a home, and all that other responsible adult stuff. lol. Just now got internet... No more surfing from my phone. lol.

My daughter Kimberly!!!

...I think that is all the updates...

Edited 5 time(s). Last edited Sunday, August 26, 2012 8:08 PM

Re: I bought a DODGE NEON!!!
Sunday, August 26, 2012 8:07 PM
Congrats on the little one!

The Neon will come in handy!

http://www.autotalk.com/pictures/data/1536/medium/2005_Chevrolet_Cavalier_Xtreme_002_autotalk_com_.jpg
Monday, August 27, 2012 1:07 AM
For $300 its pretty nice all in all. I didn't mind the '98 Neon I test drove a few years ago. It definitely felt like a car with 300,000 km on it, but it was still a decent car. Still glad I ended up in a gen 2 wagon over it though.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Monday, August 27, 2012 8:47 AM
Tony T Crams wrote:For $300 its pretty nice all in all. I didn't mind the '98 Neon I test drove a few years ago. It definitely felt like a car with 300,000 km on it, but it was still a decent car. Still glad I ended up in a gen 2 wagon over it though.

It actually drives pretty good... other than the constant vibration from the bad wheel bearings right now. lol. A little loose steering as well, but that will all be fixed. The car actually has 117,xxx miles on the body. Surprisingly low in my opinion.

Monday, August 27, 2012 5:48 PM
those aren't bad cars at all. friend of mine had one, was a bit of a pain to work on, but it ran great the rest of the time!! Enjoy it!

which Neon forum are you already on?

I need a new sig.
Monday, August 27, 2012 8:06 PM
Well polish out the headlight lens or replace them like going to http://www.rockauto.com I would bet there about 33.00 just guessing if those are just hazed over so bad beyond polishing.Anyway for the cost not a bad buy and with all that new is a major plus.Good luck with it.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:48 AM
Brad (ceyenne red beast) wrote:those aren't bad cars at all. friend of mine had one, was a bit of a pain to work on, but it ran great the rest of the time!! Enjoy it!

which Neon forum are you already on?

I am on 2gn.org

Same name and everything. lol

And Ron. I will be replacing the headlights soon. I think they are beyond polishing... because my brights are the same as my dims at night. lol.

Thanks as well!

Thursday, September 06, 2012 6:58 AM
Wow, what a steal. I'd love to have that as a beater

Thursday, September 06, 2012 11:07 AM
Cute kid

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 6:34 PM
Yup. So I begin a rebuild for my neon. It was poorly maintained by the PO and he was a complete idiot.... so here we go.

Anyways... My goal is to get the car back to a dependable and less shaking state. lol

My Repair/Mod List
*new struts-ordered
*new LCA's-pending
*New outer tie rods-pending
*new radiator-pending
*new motor mount-done
*TACH!-done
*new trans mount-done
*new torque mounts-50% complete
*new power steering pressure switch-done
*clean IAC and throttle body-done
*new spark plugs (NGK Iridium)-done
*new wireset-done
*rebuild ALL power window switches-done
*replace TCM-done
*replace/repair front bumper-
*repair dents-
*new tires-
*60mm throttle body-
*front wheel bearings-purchased
*front sway bar end links- purchased
*profit?-

I might keep it or sell it. I don't know. I do know it will be driving like new before I get rid of it. On to pictures!!!

My small mods. I hate not having a tach... old gauge

new gauge from a 2001 neon. Had the mileage changed. Easy to run the miles up on a lower digital cluster. lol.

Did the rear trunk carpet mod. lol. Got lucky and found a mint one at my local yard.

And my GM mirror with dimming and compass. I think it came out of an older Oldsmobile. I just had to move pin 7 over to pin 1 and it was plug and play.

now my goodies to get the car back on the road like new.

Pictured above is new control arms with bushings and ball joint, new outer tie rods, new dash rubber mat, and new Spectra Premium Radiator for the dual fan. I will be replacing my struts at the same time with some Kyb Gr2's all around. Stock springs. Not really caring to lower or to slam it since I live in a rural area with crappy roads everywhere. I also have sway bar end links. Besides... it does not look like a 4x4 at factory height either. lol

Comments and suggestions welcome...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, September 12, 2012 6:37 PM

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 6:59 PM
Can we use the gm mirror???? or just neons?

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 7:02 PM
DOHC Mopar PCM...to bad its an auto. I am a fan of the Maddog shifters. Might want to try the Booger Engine Mount too.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 7:56 PM
Well guess you have been busy mending this low cost buy to spend more.Always cool to get new parts and fix that old stuff.See your putting a dent in the to do's.Good stuff

Thursday, September 13, 2012 10:43 AM
Philly D wrote:Can we use the gm mirror???? or just neons?

Just Neons

thevilliagemon wrote:DOHC Mopar PCM...to bad its an auto. I am a fan of the Maddog shifters. Might want to try the Booger Engine Mount too.

From what I can tell, I can not use a Dohc PCM. The 95-99 neons only had the DOHC motors and the 01 and 02 IAC under the hood changed... The 03-05 went to the NGC (Next Generation Controller) crap. I only believe the 2000 can use that pcm... and of course the 1st gen guys.

I have heard wonderful things about the Maddog shifters... but like you said.... I have an automatic sadly. lol.

I also have never heard of the "Booger" motor mounts... I have heard of the bushings for the shifters though... but only applys to the manuals. If you are referring to solid motor mounts... then no thanks lol. If I planned on putting down a lot more power... OR MAYBE A 2.4 PT Cruiser engine swap with SRT Turbo Parts for the win. lol.

Ron Love wrote:Well guess you have been busy mending this low cost buy to spend more.Always cool to get new parts and fix that old stuff.See your putting a dent in the to do's.Good stuff

I love fixing things Ron. I am trying to make a dent in the list. The list might seem to be kinda big, but it is not too bad. I will be adding to the list once I get everything important to me done. Performance is second. Can't wait to do a rear Neon disc swap. lol. I hope it is not as hard as it was to do to my Cavalier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, September 13, 2012 10:45 AM

Sunday, September 16, 2012 6:49 PM
Damn, it sounds like the PO(s) gave no @!#$ for that car. I did the same thing with my 2000 Sunfire sedan 5spd... bought it ragged, fixed a metric ton of crap, and just ran out of patience. Best of luck to you, because from what I've seen with friends' Neons, they were mainly worthless, unreliable junk.

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Monday, September 17, 2012 12:41 AM
Evan Undead (The Black Pearl) wrote:Damn, it sounds like the PO(s) gave no @!#$ for that car. I did the same thing with my 2000 Sunfire sedan 5spd... bought it ragged, fixed a metric ton of crap, and just ran out of patience. Best of luck to you, because from what I've seen with friends' Neons, they were mainly worthless, unreliable junk.

I have heard the same thing from a good deal of people as well, but I figured I would chance it. I always told myself I would never own one, but whatever. People say the same thing about j's as well, but I know that is not true. I might get lucky with my mopar. lol So far it has been greatly dependable. The previous owner bought it for his son and his son gave it hell. I have only had one problem out of it and it was really my fault. I bumped the ground off on the trunk light switch and in return killed my battery. Fixed now. lol

Thanks and hope I have the patience. lol

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:15 PM
I will say this, it already looks like a better start than my Sunfire. It had smashed fenders and bad paint to boot.

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Wednesday, September 19, 2012 9:30 PM
I feel your pain...i recently made the mistake of buying a eclipse...oddly enough also dirt cheap.LOL im starting to think there is a link there.....but just to be fair it is a decent looking car..and when I find a decent easy to find rattle can clear ill let u know so u can do work on those headlights.lol

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 3:39 PM
Daniel Cooper wrote:I feel your pain...i recently made the mistake of buying a eclipse...oddly enough also dirt cheap.LOL im starting to think there is a link there.....but just to be fair it is a decent looking car..and when I find a decent easy to find rattle can clear ill let u know so u can do work on those headlights.lol

Well, depending on the eclipse year and what not... it is the same motor if it is the 420a. lol. It only has a different head. Good luck with that project too. Keep me posted on that clear paint. lol. Might try it on my old headlight I cleaned up. See lower post. lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, September 25, 2012 3:56 PM

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 3:40 PM
A couple of shots today. Got a new headlight for the driver side from the junkyard and cleaned up my passenger one. I will most likely buy a new passenger light. Just so they match better. lol. This post is dedicated to Ron love! Enjoy

SSSSSSSSSHHHHHHIIIINNNNNNYYYYYY!!!

Hopefully my brights and dims look different now. lol.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 4:42 PM
Freelancer1988 wrote:
Daniel Cooper wrote:I feel your pain...i recently made the mistake of buying a eclipse...oddly enough also dirt cheap.LOL im starting to think there is a link there.....but just to be fair it is a decent looking car..and when I find a decent easy to find rattle can clear ill let u know so u can do work on those headlights.lol

Well, depending on the eclipse year and what not... it is the same motor if it is the 420a. lol. It only has a different head. Good luck with that project too. Keep me posted on that clear paint. lol. Might try it on my old headlight I cleaned up. See lower post. lol

yea its a 97 rs with the 420a

Saturday, February 02, 2013 9:13 PM
When you moved pin 7 to pin 1 on your mirror where did you plug it into after that?
Monday, January 11, 2016 12:39 PM
jon chrome wrote:When you moved pin 7 to pin 1 on your mirror where did you plug it into after that?

Well... Three years late... Oops. Anyways... I plugged it into the back of the mirror. The old dodge mirror had the same socket as the gm mirror... Just a different pinout. Sorry I revived my old thread.

*Update* I still have the Neon. Still going strong. I have had no issues, just a blown speaker.

Monday, January 11, 2016 12:39 PM
jon chrome wrote:When you moved pin 7 to pin 1 on your mirror where did you plug it into after that?

Well... Three years late... Oops. Anyways... I plugged it into the back of the mirror. The old dodge mirror had the same socket as the gm mirror... Just a different pinout. Sorry I revived my old thread.

*Update* I still have the Neon. Still going strong. I have had no issues, just a blown speaker.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 3:11 PM
Sounds like it was worth the hassle of doing the work on it. Haha.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search