My tow rig project- old school style - Page 9 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Wednesday, December 09, 2009 2:44 PM
Anti-Sleeve Thats what she sed wrote:all i have to say is...... there is no u in color

kidding looks great man.

In canada its colour

Thanks for the comments/interest everyone

_

Now with northstar V8, IRS, 20's n 22's

Wednesday, December 09, 2009 5:21 PM
Canadians are too busy building crazy sh!t to spell correctly.

Now hurry up and get that bish finished!

Thursday, December 17, 2009 5:12 AM
So this dropped to half way down page 2. WTF?

How about some updates?

Thursday, December 17, 2009 7:32 PM
Was hoping to have pics to go with updates, words alone are a bit boring

Been working on bodywork slowly-getting close, have doors lined up, one latch setup and a few other small things here and there. Have been sidetracked helping my brother on his trucks so there likely wont be much visible progress till the new year- family stuff and a full frame up build of my brothers future daily driver over the holidays.

_

Thursday, December 17, 2009 7:41 PM
Way too much win going on here

Thursday, December 17, 2009 7:49 PM
Couple pics just for you
I have one of my wheels at home today since i will be headed to the machinist tomorow to see about getting them milled to 24s (to fit standard automotive tires)
As stated earlier the plan was not to go with big wheels but i just couldnt get the idea out of my head- figured things have gone a lot farther then originally planned any way so why not? Just happened across a set of 4 24.5s at that time for a good price (need to get my hands on 22.5s for the front yet)
So the project takes another twist.

New wheels swallowing factory Z wheels with tire

_

Friday, December 18, 2009 5:15 AM
I'm not sure taking 1/4" of material off of the bead seat of a rim is a good idea, especially for a heavy truck, but I'm curious to see what the shop says.

These days, aren't there plenty of even sized dually rims available that you don't have to mod half sizes?

Friday, December 18, 2009 2:50 PM
Quiklilcav wrote:I'm not sure taking 1/4" of material off of the bead seat of a rim is a good idea, especially for a heavy truck, but I'm curious to see what the shop says.

These days, aren't there plenty of even sized dually rims available that you don't have to mod half sizes?

Nope, every dually you see on 22s or 24s are milled down 22.5s or 24.5s. There arent any large sized bolt on dually wheels available- i have searched a lot. There will be reduced load capacity (compared to what a semi truck has) but they will be plenty strong for what i need. I have taken a micrometer to the lips and done some comparisons and a whole lot of searching and have decided on a safe amount of material to remove (its not a full quarter inch, noone does that- its actually 5mm, and noone that i am aware of has ever had any problems with them)

_

Saturday, December 19, 2009 9:45 AM
keep updating man... this is gonna be awesome!

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Sunday, December 20, 2009 8:14 PM
FReQ Z wrote:keep updating man... this is gonna be awesome!

Thats what i am hoping- if it ever gets done...
Guess thats the problem when the plans keep changing and getting more in depth.
It really needs to get done soon, projects are piling up on the waiting list because of it.

_

Monday, December 21, 2009 5:30 AM
yeah but its always better to just push the project back and get it done how you want versus sitting there afterwards and go damn, why didnt i do that when the car was apart.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography

Monday, December 21, 2009 2:12 PM
I have been following this for the last few months. Great work! I can't wait to see this rig complete!!!

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 8:28 PM
I noticed you have not hooked up your radiator hoses yet.I would recommend using some constant torque clamps when you do and also use some of permatexs high tack gasket sealant you would apply to the inside of the hose to prevent leaks.I suggest this based on my exper with school buses(worked for thomas buses) and own a bus myself a 77 IHC loadstar.Napa sells them for sure but other heavy duty truck stores do or big truck dealer.Neat project for sure.The 22.5 rim will give u better mpg too over the 24.5.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 4:30 AM
Ron Love wrote:I noticed you have not hooked up your radiator hoses yet.I would recommend using some constant torque clamps when you do and also use some of permatexs high tack gasket sealant you would apply to the inside of the hose to prevent leaks.I suggest this based on my exper with school buses(worked for thomas buses) and own a bus myself a 77 IHC loadstar.Napa sells them for sure but other heavy duty truck stores do or big truck dealer.Neat project for sure.The 22.5 rim will give u better mpg too over the 24.5.

Constant torque clamps i assume are what i call t-bolt clamps (most often seen on turbo charge piping) I am using those clamps through the entire build- including charge piping, coolant piping and fuel transfer hoses, i feel there is no point in taking a chance with regular hose clamps.
I realize smaller wheels would give a little better MPG but i am willing to sacrifice a little for the 24s since i like how they will look.

_

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 7:29 PM
Three weeks with no progress pics on the truck? (pics of a dismounted wheel in your living room don't count)

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 11:26 PM
What he^^^^^^^^^^ said!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 7:03 AM
Quiklilcav wrote:Three weeks with no progress pics on the truck? (pics of a dismounted wheel in your living room don't count)

Its been a few weeks of no progress to take pictures of. The body and hood are in the first layer of primer for block sanding.
Between family stuff and helping my brother on his truck mine hasnt seen very much progress at all and likely wont get touched for another couple of weeks yet.

_

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 7:51 AM
1997ztwo4 wrote:
Quiklilcav wrote:Three weeks with no progress pics on the truck? (pics of a dismounted wheel in your living room don't count)

Its been a few weeks of no progress to take pictures of. The body and hood are in the first layer of primer for block sanding.
Between family stuff and helping my brother on his truck mine hasnt seen very much progress at all and likely wont get touched for another couple of weeks yet.

This is unacceptable lol

Thursday, December 31, 2009 10:41 AM
Rabbit(AKA RedAssassin) wrote:This is unacceptable lol
X2. No down time for you until this bish is finished!

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 8:56 PM
updates?

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 4:40 AM
Only a couple pictures. Got all my airride leaks checked and repaired. The 3 batteries are in and wired. Fuel system is plumbed, and has been bled and run for a while. The rest of the intercooler piping and intake hat are done and powder coated. First layer of primer is sprayed and block sanded on the cab and hood- still need to finish a bit of work on front and rear fenders as well as the doors.

_

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 4:41 AM
OH MY

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 7:39 AM

M62, 42's, ZZP 3", ZZP S3 H/E
214whp 190wtq
Wednesday, January 20, 2010 8:04 AM
I SATCHMOE YOU!!!! wrote:OH MY

oh my indeed!

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:10 AM
EYEOPNR (sleepercavy) wrote:
I SATCHMOE YOU!!!! wrote:OH MY

oh my indeed!

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search