Cobalt SS - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cobalt SS
Thursday, February 17, 2005 11:14 PM
Tonight I went to the 2005 International Auto Show in Pittsburgh, PA. To be honest the only reason I went was to see the Cobalt SS. I've followed the design and production of the Cobalt since it was literally a rumor that Chevrolet was replacing the Cavalier with something "nicer" and more aimed to the "tuner crowd". I have to admit the car was more than I ever expected. I new it was going to be nice, and I've read all the reviews that rant and rave about how incredible it was, but I wanted to see it. As a regular guy seeing the car with his own eyes, I assure all of you this vehicle is incredible. The fit and finish of the car surpasses any Cavalier I've ever seen. I own a Cavalier and so do alot of my friends and one thing that no one can deny about it is fit and finish has always sucked. I don't care what Cavalier you're looking at there is something about it that just isn't quite right. Not this Cobalt, the lines were perfect, the gaps were close and true, you can just tell by the feel of the metal, door, and interior that this car was built with quality in mind. The only thing I wasn't always a fan of when I saw pictures of it was the wing. But seeing it in person, I have to admit, the wing fits the car very well, the way the car is designed the wing looks good.

The whole car looks good, and I can't wait til the SS's come to dealerships so I can finally drive one!

Re: Cobalt SS
Thursday, February 17, 2005 11:28 PM
Were you on acid when you were looking at the car?

You make it sound like it puts Ferrari's to shame.
It's still an entry level car, just remember that.

Thursday, February 17, 2005 11:52 PM
Shaner wrote:You make it sound like it puts Ferrari's to shame.

That's not how I saw it. I saw the post as a comparison between the Cavalier and the Cobalt -- not between the Cobalt and a Ferrari -- and how the latter is a big improvement over the former. And I wholeheartedly agree.
Friday, February 18, 2005 5:52 AM
i sat in one too, and theres one thing i hated. the top of the dash board was not wrapped in vinyl. one of the main selling points of the cavy was that it had a vinyl dashboard (the only thing in the whole damn car wrapped in vinyl) compared to the "cheap" competitive that had plastic ones. did they forget the dash or something? hopefully they'll change it before production starts. oh, and did you notice the screws in the door seal that hold in the side view mirrors? lol

other than that, i agree that the car had an excellent fit and finish, and sitting in the car gave it an excellent feel. i cant wait to test one

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Sunday, February 20, 2005 12:11 PM
I did notice that the plastic in the car, the door panels and the top of the dash, had a cheapish feel to it. But you have to consider that it is an "entry level car" and you can't compare it to an Eclipse or a Celica because it's not a $30k car. If you compare it to a Focus, Civic, Corolla, or Neon, the Cobalt stands tall in quality. And for Shaner, get over yourself, no one is comparing a Cobalt SS to a Ferrari, but the fact remains, that a $22k cobalt comes better equipped and probably is going to run similar times (if not better) than cars that cost thousands more.

Sunday, February 20, 2005 1:56 PM
jkhd03cav wrote:I did notice that the plastic in the car, the door panels and the top of the dash, had a cheapish feel to it. But you have to consider that it is an "entry level car" and you can't compare it to an Eclipse or a Celica because it's not a $30k car. If you compare it to a Focus, Civic, Corolla, or Neon, the Cobalt stands tall in quality. And for Shaner, get over yourself, no one is comparing a Cobalt SS to a Ferrari, but the fact remains, that a $22k cobalt comes better equipped and probably is going to run similar times (if not better) than cars that cost thousands more.

According to Saturn, it beats an Audi TT.

Sunday, February 20, 2005 2:04 PM
Viper98912 wrote:i sat in one too, and theres one thing i hated. the top of the dash board was not wrapped in vinyl. one of the main selling points of the cavy was that it had a vinyl dashboard (the only thing in the whole damn car wrapped in vinyl)

I've driven three or four base, rental '03-'05 Cavaliers since December and I'm pretty sure they had a plastic dashboard too.
Sunday, February 20, 2005 2:06 PM
^^ also ... the redline is quicker than the BMW Z4. Which I still find hard to believe.

dan

Sunday, February 20, 2005 2:21 PM
Yeah the Cavalier has a plastic dashboard too, we've accomplished that the Cobalt is hands down better than a Cavalier in every aspect lol. The dash and door panels in the Cobalt seem cheaper feeling than other cars like the Eclipse and Celica, but compared to the Cavalier they're much nicer. I haven't read about them being faster than the Audi TT and the Z4, but I believe it. I have read that it's faster 0-60 than a VW Gulf R32, Faster 60-0 braking than the Subaru WRX, and faster through the Shlolom (can't spell, lol) than the Corvette Z51. Those comparisons are from Sport Compact Magazine, which also called it the best small Chevy yet.

Sunday, February 20, 2005 4:47 PM
@ this thread

Just for you all know "quality" plastics is the one that DOES NOT have a hard feel to it. That being said, Cobalt is loaded with hard plastic. There is no soft touch anywhere in the car what so ever.
Also if you use hard plastic it should not sound hollow when tapping it with your knuckles.
Hard plastic is the one creeks and moans when the weather gets to it and rubs against one another.
And like "Viper" said, at least the Cav has a soft feel vinyl on the top of the dash.

I guess reading this if you put painted trim surface, or use "plastiwood", or use leather that looks to have come from a cow with mad cow disease (vinyl like), or use low cut carpet, or sprinkle a few chrome painted plastic pieces it qualifies as a "quality interior." Talk about re-writing the book.

If you want to see some quality interiors with high fit and finish in a econobox look at a new Jetta/Golf, Hyundai, Toyota, Focus, Civic. The Cobalt's interior design looks like it was copied from the Jetta/Golf, the only thing GM forgot was the materials that VW used.
I will give credit to Cobalt's interior in it's ergonomics, creature comforts and the options of interior colors again.

If you don't agree, well what can I do? But for the "magazine racers" you will know that I am not far off on what is a quality interior.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Sunday, February 20, 2005 9:16 PM
For those waiting for the SS, the wait is almost over

__
CobaltSS.net - Chevy Cobalt Enthusiasts

Sunday, February 20, 2005 9:26 PM
SHOW cars are purty... production cars are.................

Sunday, February 20, 2005 9:38 PM
The Cobalt is not really an entry level car anymore. At least here in Canada.

I took a little time to check the factory car out. It's fit and finish was just fine with me. I woudl be happy with it. Leaps and bounds over the J.

The hard plastic didn't bother me at all. The quality is there. The car is very nice.

The Sema show car is incredible. I want it...I want it...I want it.

My real joy was hearing so many Honda drivers state that they will be tossing their ride for it.

I'm gald I decided to work the Autoshow for GM. Only 6 more 12 hour days left.

Sunday, February 20, 2005 9:55 PM
Quote:

If you don't agree, well what can I do? But for the "magazine racers" you will know that I am not far off on what is a quality interior.

I have an idea, how about stop spreading bull@!#$? Hows that sound? Shut up about the "cheap plastics" and your other useless opinions. You are just as far off about the interior as you were about the performance; but you never admit when you are wrong, so it really makes no difference.

Quote:

Were you on acid when you were looking at the car?

You make it sound like it puts Ferrari's to shame.
It's still an entry level car, just remember that.

He never said anything about "putting Ferrari's to shame", he just posted a positive and accurate review of his experience with the car. Re-read what he posted, he compared the Cobalt to the Cavalier and other compact cars, not to any exotics dumbass

My CarDomain Page
Sunday, February 20, 2005 10:20 PM
I will admit one thing, what Goodwrench said above.......

Most of us know about the infamous "crack" found on Cavaliers dashe, up near the windshield on the upper most part of the dash. The part that is HARD plastic, not the soft cushiony like the rest of the dash. I can just imagine the nice California sun doing a number on this dash, splitting it up, etc., unless you put a DashMat on there.

Monday, February 21, 2005 1:27 AM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote: @ this thread

Does the fact that he speaks positively about the Cobalt discredit his opinion with you or something?

Quote:

I guess reading this if you put painted trim surface, or use "plastiwood", or use leather that looks to have come from a cow with mad cow disease (vinyl like), or use low cut carpet, or sprinkle a few chrome painted plastic pieces it qualifies as a "quality interior." Talk about re-writing the book.

Because while the fact that you speak negatively against the Cobalt does not discredit your opinion to me, my personal experience combined with the opinions of who I deem to be trusted proffessionals in the industry writing in high-profile auto magazines do. Sure you hate the Cobalt, and that's fine, just don't try to pass your opinion off as gospel.

Quote:

If you want to see some quality interiors with high fit and finish in a econobox look at a new Jetta/Golf, Hyundai, Toyota, Focus, Civic. The Cobalt's interior design looks like it was copied from the Jetta/Golf, the only thing GM forgot was the materials that VW used.

*Scratches head*

While I'd agree that Jetta/Golf have quality interiors, I fail to see a significant correlation (except in terms of general interior design "trends" such as more prominanant center stacks and use of chrome accenting) between their interior design and that of the Cobalts. Dash vents maybe, thats about it.

Quote:

I will give credit to Cobalt's interior in it's ergonomics, creature comforts and the options of interior colors again.

Thanks, so will I. And to me the combination of those features contribute much to a good interior.

Quote:

It's funny how the term "magazine racer" is thrown around. I've read your opinion that we can't believe all that magazines say, and can't depend on them for our opinions. Yet by posting negative comments in the majority of Cobalt threads (and deriding the threads that contain positive material) you are levying your own opinion on the subject onto these readers. Really, I'd rather be a "magazine racer" relying on proffesional opinion and testing to support my personal experience than a "that-guy-in-the-forum-said racer". so please either stop contradicting yourself in this sense or at least rethink your criticism of magazine racers.

Nothing personal, but just as you like to say, I am merely trying to clear up some misinformation (aka opinions I don't agree with).

2nd Gen Z, 5 spd.
Monday, February 21, 2005 8:01 AM
the redline and cobalt ss are both garbage. 23k i don't think so. gimmie a wrx wagon or srt-4 for that price. the redlines dash is the worst part of the car otherwise i'd take it over a cobalt. and both wings are hideous.
Monday, February 21, 2005 10:46 AM
Wesman
The troll is back to be the Cobalt's whore like always on the JBO. Kid, you really have no say what so ever since you have not seen one in person let alone driven one. But wait... you read articles... I stand correct, ya dude you really know what you are talking about. Pisses you off that your lovely articles agrees with me, if that was not the case you would not take the time write your ignorant comments. Last time I checked we were in public forum, you will hear all sorts of sides, but do you go around picking those people and that does not agree with you... NO! Why? Because you know I have reason. Something that you are learning (reason), albeit slow learner to that.

zstyle
Quote:

Does the fact that he speaks positively about the Cobalt discredit his opinion with you or something?

No, Its hilarious that people talk like they know something. Hint: notice I said "thread" not a particular person. Don't nit-pick and put words in peoples mouth in a discussion to favor you.

Quote:

Because while the fact that you speak negatively against the Cobalt does not discredit your opinion to me, my personal experience combined with the opinions of who I deem to be trusted proffessionals in the industry writing in high-profile auto magazines do. Sure you hate the Cobalt, and that's fine, just don't try to pass your opinion off as gospel.

When I wrote I sum up last year on this car your so called "high-profile auto magazines" said the same thing on the plastics as I did. Ya, I may not be working for "high-profile auto magazines" but the writers are there comparing cars just like I am. Difference is GM is not paying me to do nice introductions. I am just tell it how it is. Take it or leave it, I could careless. But just like the troll up there^, from the moment you took the time respond to my comments you know I am not far off and it angers you. Welcome to the real world, there will be people who will not agree with you.

Quote:

While I'd agree that Jetta/Golf have quality interiors, I fail to see a significant correlation (except in terms of general interior design "trends" such as more prominanant center stacks and use of chrome accenting) between their interior design and that of the Cobalts. Dash vents maybe, thats about it.

Look at also the instruments, vents, same shape angle and low center stack. Other then the IC housing there are no curvature in the dash. Very conservative, old German inspired interior. If you can not see where GM got inspired for it's design, then sorry man, you are blind. Funny thing is GM is already late because now that dash is dated, because VW dumped that design in favor more driver friend design (Gen-5).

Quote:

Thanks, so will I. And to me the combination of those features contribute much to a good interior

I was not complimenting you for one. Two, from the moment you say that means you only want to hear only the good. Sorry man, life is not that peachy.

Quote:

It's funny how the term "magazine racer" is thrown around. I've read your opinion that we can't believe all that magazines say, and can't depend on them for our opinions. Yet by posting negative comments in the majority of Cobalt threads (and deriding the threads that contain positive material) you are levying your own opinion on the subject onto these readers. Really, I'd rather be a "magazine racer" relying on proffesional opinion and testing to support my personal experience than a "that-guy-in-the-forum-said racer". so please either stop contradicting yourself in this sense or at least rethink your criticism of magazine racers

Just so you know the term "Magazine racer" is those asz-holes who use magazine numbers to show how fast a car is with out doing the actual test them self and using those figures as a end all argument. With that being said the interior comment that I and the magazines say does NOT constitute to "magazine racers." With that being said, think for a sec on what you said, you really sound stupid in all in the name to prove a point. Hint: next time research what the words mean then read what someone says and then THINK. Don't just post things that makes no sense and is uber ridiculous.

Quote:

Nothing personal, but just as you like to say, I am merely trying to clear up some misinformation (aka opinions I don't agree with).

I could careless on being personal or not. Another thing you can't clear up "misinformation" and "opinion." That would be a contradiction, seriously pick up a dictionary and look up some words, it can benefit you the next time you open your mouth and attack me. Lastly, you should practice what you preach,(highlighted bold) if not, you're a typical hypocrite.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Any one else? Cuz this is getting old. Since when does a public forum have to be so ruling?

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Monday, February 21, 2005 2:44 PM
I wish I had the 2 minutes of my life back I just wasted reading this post.
Monday, February 21, 2005 3:16 PM
WHY DOES EVERY THRED "Mr.Goodwrench-G.T." POST ON TURN TO A FLATULENT PILE OF $HIT???

hmm..... dunno

Monday, February 21, 2005 3:29 PM
Well not everyone can like the car. So what. State your opinion and get on with your life LOL.

Monday, February 21, 2005 6:54 PM
I am waiting for them at the dealership I work at. When they come in, I will make my opinion.

I swear, as loud as you are, you should be doing at least 200 mph.
Monday, February 21, 2005 7:40 PM
I went to the pittsburgh show too and sat in the cobalt. its nice and all, but i would rather buy an srt-4 for that price and get a faster turbo charged engine. The whole reason i went to that show was to check out an srt-4 and they didn't even have one there...oh well, but the cobalt was still pretty nice...just needs more power

www.chevyridez.com
Monday, February 21, 2005 7:57 PM
Quote:

WHY DOES EVERY THRED "Mr.Goodwrench-G.T." POST ON TURN TO A FLATULENT PILE OF $HIT???

Wait...I know!! The reason is because Goodwrench is a flaming @!#$!! What a surprise!!

Quote:

Wesman
The troll is back to be the Cobalt's whore like always on the JBO. Kid, you really have no say what so ever since you have not seen one in person let alone driven one. But wait... you read articles... I stand correct, ya dude you really know what you are talking about. Pisses you off that your lovely articles agrees with me, if that was not the case you would not take the time write your ignorant comments. Last time I checked we were in public forum, you will hear all sorts of sides, but do you go around picking those people and that does not agree with you... NO! Why? Because you know I have reason. Something that you are learning (reason), albeit slow learner to that.

This is the last time I'm going to tell you to STFU. Nobody cares about your useless biased opinions on anything, so don't bother posting them anymore.

You are by far the biggest joke on the JBO, you claim to be a professional, yet you act like a child. And I'm not a kid by any means, so you can STFU about that too. Why would anyone trust an Anti-Cobalt troll like yourself regarding anything to do with the car? I'll stick to trusting the professional reviews, the ones written by educated individuals who actually know what they are talking about, in other words, not you

Its not about opinions, its about facts, and you are wrong, plain and simple. If all the articles said the same things that you have said, why would I be upset? I wouldn't because you would be right. But the reviews do not agree with you whatsoever, the reason being that all the things you say are pulled straight out of your ass.

Don't directly address me ever again @!#$. I'm sick of your Bull@!#$ just as everyone else here on this forum is. You are merely a troll seeking attention - thats why you bash the Cobalt every chance you get - and its really become obvious that you are a poseur and a complete idiot.

My CarDomain Page
Monday, February 21, 2005 9:13 PM
Quote:

This is the last time I'm going to tell you to STFU. Nobody cares about your useless biased opinions on anything, so don't bother posting them anymore.

Take your own advice on that one. If you don't like hear other thoughts that are not yours, you know where the door is.

Quote:

You are by far the biggest joke on the JBO, you claim to be a professional, yet you act like a child. And I'm not a kid by any means, so you can STFU about that too. Why would anyone trust an Anti-Cobalt troll like yourself regarding anything to do with the car? I'll stick to trusting the professional reviews, the ones written by educated individuals who actually know what they are talking about, in other words, not you

You are child in the sense if one does not agree with you start calling people BS. Thats immature. So yes troll you are a child. "Anti Cobalt" naa not really, if I want more out of GM small car group, does that make me "anti Cobalt." You are quick to point out crap on me. But step back and see if you are doing any good with you skirt and pon-pon and cheering on just average. If you know something on the history of this small car group, you would not bitch at me like a wild whore. When you grow up and actually know what to talk about then we can have a thoughtful conversation. Till then pick up your MT and race off with the rest of the 3rd graders.

Quote:

Its not about opinions, its about facts, and you are wrong, plain and simple. If all the articles said the same things that you have said, why would I be upset? I wouldn't because you would be right. But the reviews do not agree with you whatsoever, the reason being that all the things you say are pulled straight out of your ass.

Really and when I point out some facts that does not look enticing you, you stay mum. You have been upset from the very get go. And if you nit pick again you will see that that your beloved MT says "Plastics is hard and hollow and has a way to go to match lofty Japanese car standards" Sounds similar to what I said last year doesn't it? Troll why don't you nit-pick that a-hole? Then you tell me I am biased. lol

Quote:

Don't directly address me ever again @!#$. I'm sick of your Bull@!#$ just as everyone else here on this forum is. You are merely a troll seeking attention - thats why you bash the Cobalt every chance you get - and its really become obvious that you are a poseur and a complete idiot.

I will directly address you or anyone who starts with me. Plain and simple. And that whole comment is said on a person who used bash on lonewolf when he spoke out and when he said something that its not in favor with you, but later he said somethings that you liked and automatically he is a good person. (?) Ya and I am the idiot. Life was better around here with out you troll. You have to face it there will be people that will not agree with you, remember this, this is not the sandbox where people will follow you like lemmings.

Quote:

Very simple Orange Z, there are people that only want to hear what they want to hear. In other words: closed minded. Sad isn't?

Anyone else or should I bow to the monarchy of JBO?

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search