Good AutoX project cars... - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Good AutoX project cars...
Monday, February 21, 2005 4:44 PM
Just as the title states, Im looking for a project car that will be fun/fairly easy to work on and is/can be turned into a great autocross car. My friend has a prosche 914 car hes been working on and says the mid engine cars are like driving a go-cart, but I really dont want something from the 70's/ early 80's seems too old. Ive been looking at MR2's, but either their a rust bucket or way too expensive (atleast 5-6 grand for a halfway decent one). Im hoping to spend under 2k so ill have more money for some mods later. Any Ideas are appreciated

Re: Good AutoX project cars...
Monday, February 21, 2005 5:07 PM
Mazda Miata's are perfect autocross cars.

Monday, February 21, 2005 6:24 PM
IMO Miatas & Crxs' lightweight nimble and agile. AW11 MR2 SC nice cars but like you said its kinda old and boxy, if you decide on an SW20 be sure to get a +'93 thats when toyota tweaked the suspension to prevent snapped oversteer. anyway good luck with your project.

Dreaming The Dreams Of Supra 7M Power...
Monday, February 21, 2005 6:30 PM
Tribals wrote:Mazda Miata's are perfect autocross cars.

I concur

Monday, February 21, 2005 6:37 PM
possibly an S2000

Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?
Monday, February 21, 2005 6:39 PM
If your budget is under 2k and you want to autox. I suggest you get yourself a copy or 2 of Grass Roots motorsports. Every year they have a challenge to see who can build a race car for under 2k.

95 Cobra
Check out my site
Monday, February 21, 2005 6:53 PM
my budget isnt $2000, atleast i hope not. My idea is to find a car for around that much and then as I acquire funds and things break i'll replace them with aftermarket parts.
Almost forgot about the miatas being good road race cars. I dont know about getting a honda... Im kinda prejudice towards them lol
thanks for the ideas, and please keep more of em coming
Monday, February 21, 2005 7:26 PM
Hey now....Honda's are not that bad!

At the local SCCA events here there is a supercharged S2000 that flys through the course. The Neon ACR's are pretty good too.

Monday, February 21, 2005 8:30 PM
You might look into some of the pre-2000 neon ACR's. DUring their time they actually did very well in the auto-cross section. They came from the factory with no options to reduce weight, both sway bars, and Koni yellows for suspension. It also came with the DOHC engine. It is ff so if you wanted fr then i would go with a different car.

My Car: 1998 Mazda Roadster (Miata): Tein flex Coilovers, Potenza GIII 195/50/15

http://www.highperformancejdm.com
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 1:55 AM
also check out the rx7's or a 240sx

I've got a 3inch wiper blade that keeps my headlight clean during a rain storm
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 5:48 AM
older BMWs do well, also...stuff in the 323 or M3 class would be ideal.

first gen RX7s are PERFECT for autox...though all generations do well(just watch overheating on third gen TT motors).

any small car with 50/50 weight distribution would be your best bet, honestly. Miatas, MR2s, Fieros, 85-87 Corolla SR5 or GTS(just watch out for the Initial D markup that inevitably plagues these cars), Scion xAs...hell, i've seen QUITE a few Sentra SERs, Hyundai Accents, and even the occasional Cavalier. it doesn't depend quite so much on the car as the driver...any of the aforementioned vehicles is capable of doing well in autox if it's set up properly for it, and if the driver is good enough to wing it around the course.

my Dawgy's the bestest

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 9:52 AM
Theres a class for every car and every driver. Get something decent that you feel comforatable driving that you can handle well and buy it. Just make sure parts are pretty easy to get. I say pick up a 90 CRX Si. It will be plenty quick to start out with, 4-wheel disc brake standar. Very light and corners really well. You can get parts so easy and cheap. You can pick the car up itself cheap also.

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 4:54 PM
fiero

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 5:00 PM
^^^ agree

96 2.2 5speed
***SOLD***
Been OwNEd by a 2.2 lately?
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 5:01 PM
All that were mention are fine cars!
Saturn S-series 91-02 is another. Their weight is 2250-2400lbs (stock) with IRS and the option of 4 wheel discs. They sit low too. They have a neutral feel.
Something to consider as well.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 5:46 PM
Go to grm's website and look throught the 2005 classifieds. Everything is 2G's or less...

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 9:15 PM
If you have money you can`t go wrong with miata.

However, fun can be had for much less cash... and much cheaper parts supply

Rabbit GTi
Neon ACR
CRX (they rule)
Civic Si (89-91)
MR2 1st gen (non SC)
VW Scirocco (8V)

Thats only the beginning... those cars are known as cheapest, best and most rewarding

CAC2004 FSS#1, 2003,2004 Atlantic FSP #1, 2004 Overall Atlantic #1

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 9:49 PM
1969 lincoln continental.

j/k i have a buddy that auto x's he has a miata and swears by it...

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 9:58 PM
dont think im a moron, but a ws6 equiped trans am with some bolt ons, will kick some ass on a autox.

-Borsty
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 5:44 AM
maybe if they suddenly decide to run autox at drag strips

I`ve seen trans-ams and camaros, however HEAVILY modified in suspension department.

CAC2004 FSS#1, 2003,2004 Atlantic FSP #1, 2004 Overall Atlantic #1

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 6:05 AM
to go along with that...i saw a Corvette once. the guy was slow...he was afraid of hurting the car.

my Dawgy's the bestest

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 7:37 AM
u gotta know your limits before you can before any sort of competition

Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 11:59 AM
yah ive beat plenty of porsche boxsters, 911 carreras, and c5 vettes whose drivers were either afraid of pushin it or didnt know their limit. so far it sounds like a miata is highly recommended. Ive seen a couple on autotrader in the area, ill have to read up about them
thanks guys
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 12:03 PM
miata hands down is the best.. espeically when u can drop in a ford 5.0 without any problems but it being a ford motor lol

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search