Yay or Nay? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Yay or Nay?
Thursday, March 03, 2005 5:21 AM

I went by the Chevy Dealership last night to check out the cobalts.....but I thought they looked better on commercials than anything....There was this one cobalt for $18,000 but it had the leather seats....but overall I say Nay...I do also love the new gauge style...But overall GM could have done better...Looks like a neon to me! ....What do yall think?

"In the beginning, each car is a blank canvas and possibilites are endless..."

Re: Yay or Nay?
Thursday, March 03, 2005 5:24 AM
Keep in mind...I didnt see any with the ground effects like this.....

Thursday, March 03, 2005 6:06 AM
That'd be because, correct me if I'm wrong, they aren't out yet.

I used to be undecided about Cobalts, I mean they replaced my Cavy, but... after seeing the commercials of the SS/Coupes/whatever I must say if they are half that impressive in real life I love them.

Thursday, March 03, 2005 6:07 AM
I'd day Nay. Never really cared for the looks of them, looks cheaply made in my opinion. My co-worker test drove one and said the road noise was horrible. There are so many other cars I would rather waste that much money on then the Cobalt. GM could of done a lot better.

-Erin

Thursday, March 03, 2005 6:09 AM
nay

Thursday, March 03, 2005 6:10 AM
i like the car, but Gm messed up when it comes to the power they put in the SS. Thats the only model line i would buy anyways. I mean come on 205HP for like 24,000? Ill take a Srt4 anyday over that. With the money i save i could put a nice ride suspension, power windows locks and air in it. Or a subaru WRX is a better buy, more HP AWD. Theirs just alot of better performing cars for a better price. If the price drops in the next few years i might look at one.

2006 Black Cobalt SS Supercharged G85
13.91@102.77
Thursday, March 03, 2005 6:15 AM
nay

Thursday, March 03, 2005 8:24 AM
Glad yall are on my side * roll

Thursday, March 03, 2005 8:31 AM
Nay. I was next to a 4 door coupe a couple months ago and didnt like it at all. I pointed it out to my GF, even she thought it was ugly, and she isnt in to cars at all. I think the SS looks nice, but I , like a lot of people on the Org plan to move on to a Non-Chevy for the next car

Thursday, March 03, 2005 8:39 AM
Nay... It's still a 4x4. When will GM learn.

Thursday, March 03, 2005 8:39 AM
You really need to put it in perspective - just like the Cavalier, the Cobalt is a compact - a rental car, basically. You make it sound like since its not a Corvette, it sucks. The car serves its purpose, and I think it does so rather well. There is nothing revolutionary about the car, but there doesn't need to be. It is a very clean design, for a compact it is a fairly comfortable car. It is very well equipped for the price (as you said, $18k and it has leather... might not be the best quality leather, but for an $18k compact, it is quite good).

HotLiLCavZ wrote:looks cheaply made in my opinion.

Did I REALLY just hear that from a CAVALIER owner? No offense man, because I've owned J's for 8 years now, but the build quality of the Cobalt is so much better then the Cavalier, its rediculous. You can say you don't like the way it looks, but coming from a J, you can't say how cheap it is. Again, put the car in perspective, it isn't some super car, it is a Cavalier replacement.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Thursday, March 03, 2005 9:09 AM
^^ is the cobalt going to be apart of this site?? Just wondering.

I dont really like what chevy is doing with their new cars, so id have to say nay. Believe it or not .. I really like what ford is doing with their new cars. Especially the F150, lighting, and their mustangs.

dan

From the cats that brough you Cadyblack, Blackdraft and Black Kramer vs Kramer comes a funky flick so bad you gonna say, "Damn that's funky". Rufus Griffin stars in ... Black 2 the Future.
Thursday, March 03, 2005 9:39 AM
-JaysonZ24- wrote:i like the car, but Gm messed up when it comes to the power they put in the SS. Thats the only model line i would buy anyways. I mean come on 205HP for like 24,000? Ill take a Srt4 anyday over that. With the money i save i could put a nice ride suspension, power windows locks and air in it. Or a subaru WRX is a better buy, more HP AWD. Theirs just alot of better performing cars for a better price. If the price drops in the next few years i might look at one.

The Cobalt SS comes with power windows, locks, and air all standard, and for $24k you get a power moonroof, a limited slip, and recaro racing seats. Yes the SRT-4 is cheaper, has 30 or so more horses....but seriously....IT'S STILL A NEON!

And for those of you saying it's cheaply made, take a look at your cavalier for god sake! The fit and finish of the Cobalt is extremely better than any cavalier i've ever seen.

And for your co-worker that test drove one, they're are on some drugs, because I drove one as well, and if you go from a Cavalier to a Cobalt, the road noise is substantially less.

Quit comparing a Cobalt to a Lexus. Compare it to other cars in its class, the Civic Si, the Corolla S, the Focus SVT, and the Neon SRT-4. I've been in all of these cars, and as far as build quality the Corolla and the Cobalt are clearly on top. As far as speed, the SRT-4. But overall, for what you're paying, I seriously think the Cobalt SS is the best in it's class.

Thursday, March 03, 2005 9:55 AM
Dave wrote:
HotLiLCavZ wrote:looks cheaply made in my opinion.

Did I REALLY just hear that from a CAVALIER owner? No offense man, because I've owned J's for 8 years now, but the build quality of the Cobalt is so much better then the Cavalier, its rediculous. You can say you don't like the way it looks, but coming from a J, you can't say how cheap it is. Again, put the car in perspective, it isn't some super car, it is a Cavalier replacement.

First off, I'm not a man but rather a female.

Second, where did you see me say that my car is the greatest and not cheaply made? I know that my car is a peice of junk, no doubt about that but in my opinion the Cobalt looks cheaply made as well and yes I have seen one in person. I wouldn't spend that amount of money on a car that looks like that as there are plenty of other picks out there that I think are much better. But then I again, I did state that this is MY opinion and my opinion is that it LOOKS cheaply made.

-Erin

Thursday, March 03, 2005 9:59 AM
^ You go gurl!

Thursday, March 03, 2005 10:21 AM
HotLiLCavZ wrote:First off, I'm not a man but rather a female.

Come on, man, give me a break. Just because I said that doesn't imply that I am calling you a man. Its just a figure of speech.

HotLiLCavZ wrote:I wouldn't spend that amount of money on a car that looks like that as there are plenty of other picks out there that I think are much better.

I see your initial point, but I simply can't agree with this statement at all. You say there are other cars similarly priced that are better? Name one. Make sure to keep in mind that you can get a Cobalt for $13k USD. How many cars that are $13k brand new can you name that are better built then a Cobalt? I can't think of a single one.
(btw, before someone jumps down my throat as to where I got the $13k figure from, a base coupe stickers at $14,190, and currently GM has a $1000 incentive on the Cobalt - total price out the door, $13,190)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Thursday, March 03, 2005 10:24 AM
If gm made it closer to 250HP for the SS S/C i would jump all over it. But for that price, who wants another economy car? I have my economy car, what do i need a new economy car for? If im gonna spend 24,000 on a car, its gonna be a used non economy car, not a new economy car.

2006 Black Cobalt SS Supercharged G85
13.91@102.77
Thursday, March 03, 2005 10:41 AM
Dave wrote:I see your initial point, but I simply can't agree with this statement at all. You say there are other cars similarly priced that are better? Name one. Make sure to keep in mind that you can get a Cobalt for $13k USD. How many cars that are $13k brand new can you name that are better built then a Cobalt? I can't think of a single one.
(btw, before someone jumps down my throat as to where I got the $13k figure from, a base coupe stickers at $14,190, and currently GM has a $1000 incentive on the Cobalt - total price out the door, $13,190)

I was rather referring to the SS SC. Even though it does have an substantial amount of hp gain, the looks still look cheap and it doesn't appeal to me. If I was to spend that much money on a car, I would rather have a car that looks like it's worth that much. I can see your point as well but my opinion was based on the price of the SS SC, guess it was a misunderstanding and I should of explained which model I was talking about at first.

-Erin

Thursday, March 03, 2005 11:22 AM
Me personally, id rather have a Scion TC for a few grand cheaper than the Cobalt SS. Way better car, better value for the buck

Thursday, March 03, 2005 11:23 AM
Even though the Cobalt is rated at 210hp don't forget GM's trend lately of underrating the horsepower of there vehicles....

Let me explain...

When a car company advertises that there car has 200hp, that usually means 200 at the flywheel, at the motor, which is an over aggeration of a cars actual horsepower.
If you want to know a cars true horsepower you have to measure it's power at the wheels. typically you could lose anywhere up to 25% of the power. that's huge!

Recent GM vehicles have been dynoed and found that most of the advertised powers were at the wheels. For example the 03-05 cavalier is advertised at 140hp, dynoed you'll find it at 138 at the wheels.

And the Saturn Ion Redline was dynoed by Sport Compact Car Mag and found 200 hp at the wheels.

That's alot of power. you mate 200hp at the wheels with 205 ft/lbs of torque, that little car is going to move.

Thursday, March 03, 2005 12:52 PM
Nay go with a wrx or srt4 the cobalt is gm answer to the srt4!! The cobalts are ugly i rather find a Z24 and tweak the engine with stronger internals and put a turbo and a shot of nos!!!!!!!

ENVIOUS C.C. PRESIDENT

Thursday, March 03, 2005 2:27 PM
flexincavy wrote:Nay go with a wrx or srt4 the cobalt is gm answer to the srt4!! The cobalts are ugly i rather find a Z24 and tweak the engine with stronger internals and put a turbo and a shot of nos!!!!!!!

How can you compare a BASE model cobalt to a WRX or a SRT-4. ?
base cobalt (which was being discussed in this thread) is 13,000
SRT-4 and WRX cant be had for under 22,000

fair comparison? no.

a fair comparison would be a BASE cobalt to a BASE neon sx 2.0
Thursday, March 03, 2005 6:17 PM
You guys are rediculous. I love how everyone rips down the Cobalt, but as soon as someone brings FACT into it, people just ignore it. The fact is when you compare all the facts in addition the the opinion its hard to beat the Cobalt. You have more power than a Civic Si, Corolla S, Focus SVT, Celica GTS, Scion TC, and the Sentra Spec V SE-R. And better build quality, more options, and more comfort then the Neon SRT-4.

The only way you can speak badly of a Cobalt is when you start comparing it cars that aren't in its class, like the WRX, and the EVO. Cars that cost thousands more, and the only benefit you have is AWD, which is not always a benefit.

Quit comparing the Cobalt to cars out of it's league, and you'll see that Chevy did an incredible job bringing themselves into the sport compact car market.

Thursday, March 03, 2005 6:39 PM
The difference is that not everyone makes their car buying choices based strictly on HP ratings. There are lots of other things to factor in too. While I can admit a Cobalt SS looks cool and has lots of power, for me there are better options out there.

Thursday, March 03, 2005 9:23 PM
yay im sorry if im the only one but you drop that thing 3 feet and it looks sweet. i heard on a radio commercial yesterday that the cobalts are here and invited people to come test drive it. wtf is that right.

maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow....... but some day
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search