grand prix GTP - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
grand prix GTP
Monday, March 07, 2005 8:46 AM
Im looking to get a GTP for a new car. I went to the local used dealership, they have a 99 with 112k miles on in it... cloth NO MOONROOF NO HUD but I can get it for 4500 bux..should I get it? I know I can get a hud an install it for under 150 bux. I know the 3800 can live forever if taken car of...but do you think the motor can withstand me putting on a smaller pulley, headers, exhaust, and some other mods wthout it blowing...or should I save up a lil more money an get a car with less miles and leather, moonroof and hud????

Re: grand prix GTP
Monday, March 07, 2005 3:50 PM
112miles is over 160 000kms..i say dont jump into it too fast ..take your time and find what you want
Monday, March 07, 2005 5:02 PM
uh... a GTP without a HUD or leather? That's not very common, I'd look into the car's history more. Post up a VIN if possible.

112K miles isn't too bad, but you'll be looking into, in the near future, a lower intake manifold gasket swap, S/C coupler & gasket change, and quite possibly all of the idler/tensioner pulleys on the serpentine system needing to be changed...

Monday, March 07, 2005 6:02 PM
ok I found a new GTP, FULLY loaded ( leather, power seats, hud, sport shift, HUD ( yay ) ) its a 99 with 94k miles for 6k....is this a better deal???? should I jump on this one? looks like its in better condtion paint and interior wise....everything runs will, all the power options work great.....hud isnt dimmed at all still very bright
Monday, March 07, 2005 6:16 PM
much better deal... I paid 8K for my 98, but that was with a boatload of SLP parts, etc...

94K miles isn't too bad still, I'd get the car looked at by a mech if you're not too mech inclined, or better yet, join clubgp.com and see if you can get a knoledgable local member to give you a hand with it. Pulling the plugs, reading them, looking into the car's history, even doing a few runs with an Autotap/etc wouldn't be a bad idea... The 3800 is pretty bulletproof if you're careful... KR is the devil though

Monday, March 07, 2005 9:46 PM
I messaged you on MSN so I can ask you some questions. get back to me if you can..thanx
Monday, March 07, 2005 10:02 PM
i heard those boosted 3.8s only last till like 120-130k intill a mjor rebuild is needed.

-Borsty
Monday, March 07, 2005 10:39 PM
Not even... there's cars running 13s - 12s on fully stock bottom/top end, never opened motors, upwards of 130k miles. 200K miles is not unheard of on a well maintained 3800SC

Hell, only reason I had to do a major rebuild (90K) was a lower intake manifold leak + 3.2 pulley = massive KR...

Gizmo - I'll see if you're online next time i'm on...

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 6:34 PM
paul go online!
Thursday, March 10, 2005 4:28 AM
Well I don't know much about these cars overall as for the production line, but i know that my dad had a gtp and he had to replace the tranny twice. That may have just been a fluke I don't really know. It was pretty fast though.

My Car: 1998 Mazda Roadster (Miata): Tein flex Coilovers, Potenza GIII 195/50/15

http://www.highperformancejdm.com
Thursday, March 10, 2005 11:38 AM
This is going to be a stupid question but what is an HUD

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Thursday, March 10, 2005 11:56 AM
heads up display

Thursday, March 10, 2005 11:38 PM
i have to agree, the GM 3.8L is a fairly solid engine. however, if i was buying a GP then i wouldn't even bother looking at high mileage used GTP's. that's only my opinion however...waaayyy too paranoid. i'd be happy with a GT as a daily driver. with proper care u can take them into mid 250K's easily (that's kms...Canada eh!)

Adrock, you rock so well
Thursday, March 10, 2005 11:52 PM
my friend has a 93 bonnie with a 3.8 na got 250k on the thing (miles) only major thing its ever needed was a tranny. (and his dad owned it since new) other then routine mant, as long as its not beat to @!#$ and routine mant is done those motors will go along way.

idk bout the s/c'd ones thou.

-Borsty
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search