Drag rims? legal? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Drag rims? legal?
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 5:57 PM
So im thinking about a wide bodykit for my fiero. Well my next fiero. But i kinda need wide rims in the back for that then. Soo im thinking about drag rims such as weld racing rims. Question is are those street legal? And what is the widest street tire you can buy?

Re: Drag rims? legal?
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 6:07 PM
sure, my one buddy had weld pro-stars with DOT slicks on his 70 Nova and he drove it on the street all the time.

as far as widest tire, i'd say that's up to the price you want to pay

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 6:09 PM
itd prolly be about what 10 - 12 inches wide..is my guess?

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 6:25 PM
hmmm, 11 inches is 279.4mm, so round up to 285-width tires (you could probably go with 295's or 305's).

tirerack.com recommends 215/45-17 tires, so on 15" wheels (the usual drag wheel size) you'd be running 305/40-15, 295/40-15, 285/40-15, or 275/45-15.

Thursday, March 10, 2005 3:35 PM
would this hold up to the roads though? as a semi daily driver?

Thursday, March 10, 2005 11:26 PM
Bigger tires like that tend not to last as long simply because of the compound they are made of. *Compared to 205-235 tires since typically they are more of a sport compoud. Even so with street radial tires I would think you could get 20k easily out of them. They make all kinds of sizes all the way up to 335 or probably bigger just depends on how much $$ you want to shell out really.

<-- Drives with 295's everyday.

BTW they will probably suck in the rain.

95 Cobra
Check out my site
Friday, March 11, 2005 10:49 AM
Anything over 9 will be overkill on a tiny fiero. Thats my opinion but you have to think about the coefficient of drag with the rubber and the cement. With that much rubber on the ground it would take ALOT of power to move it. Unless you're putting down gobs of torque, I would say 8-9" wheels would be most practical for daily driving.

Click Sig For Pics
Friday, March 11, 2005 10:57 AM
FieryOne wrote:Anything over 9 will be overkill on a tiny fiero. Thats my opinion but you have to think about the coefficient of drag with the rubber and the cement. With that much rubber on the ground it would take ALOT of power to move it. Unless you're putting down gobs of torque, I would say 8-9" wheels would be most practical for daily driving.

Yep your right. Unless you've got alot of HP probably a bit of overkill unless maybe your doing one of those 350 fieros.

95 Cobra
Check out my site
Friday, March 11, 2005 12:03 PM
uhmm ok? Plus like i said this will be going on a widebody fiero of mine in the future. It would either be a 3800 s/c or a caddy north* . Im not sure which yet. But the size of the rim dont really matter that much would it? you making it sound like it wont go over five miles an hour or somethin. The rims needs to be wide to fill in the void created by adding a wide body in the fenders

Friday, March 11, 2005 3:14 PM
J K wrote:uhmm ok? Plus like i said this will be going on a widebody fiero of mine in the future. It would either be a 3800 s/c or a caddy north* . Im not sure which yet. But the size of the rim dont really matter that much would it? you making it sound like it wont go over five miles an hour or somethin. The rims needs to be wide to fill in the void created by adding a wide body in the fenders

It won't be THAT bad but yes to a point they will slow you down unless you really need the extra traction. The big thing your going to have to figure out is backspacing and bolt pattern since I would think the Fiero probably has a odd back spacing due to the engine being in the rear that and if your adding a wide body kit your going to want the tires to be at the edge of that and not to far in or even worse to far out.

95 Cobra
Check out my site
Friday, March 11, 2005 4:18 PM
i know my bolt patttern 5 x100. But i dunno what this back spacing is that your talking about

Friday, March 11, 2005 4:24 PM
another way to "fill" the gap on the car would be to just put on a different offset of wheel, or if you want big tires i wouldnt go much over 275 or it would just look ridiculous. But its your decision.

Friday, March 11, 2005 4:47 PM
Fieros i dunno why hafta have a fwd off set so i dunno if that makes anything different

Start New Topic Advanced Search