Cobalt...My Review - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cobalt...My Review
Sunday, March 13, 2005 8:12 PM
Alright guys, so I drove a base model Cobalt over the weekend, one of my friends just bought one so I figure I'll share my experience with you all. Feel free to let me know what you think.
Well, that new ecotec engine, wow, that is the first time I have ever had the chance to drive one, I never knew what I've been missing. The pickup on that thing even at highspeeds is amazing (this is all after I've been driving a 99 2200 base model for a little while now). This car from a dead stop, if you mash the throttle you get an amazing response not to mention burning rubber. Now for those of you who live in MD, I was testing the top speed this thing could get. So I was headed into Baltimore City goin up 295 and there is a slight hill on a straight away just before you hit the city, I nailed the throttle. Well this thing took off, I hit 110 before someone jumped in front of me. One thing that kinda got to me and I dont know about it too much is the economic technology in the onboard computer. While driving through the city, stop light to stop light, the display flashed something about switchin to economical mode, I'm guessing to save gas but the freakin power in this car disappeared. That goes without sayin, I HATE THAT. Other than that the performance is great. This dohc 145hp engine matched up with 4t40e tranny, shoot makes me wanna steal one and swap it with my 2200. Anyway as far as performance, I love it.
Now onto suspension, they put sway bars in the cobalts, I'm guessing a standard option. Well when I first got in the car, I swerved back and forth testing handling, made a few sharp turns and so forth. Well this car has a sway bar only because it needs it. Im willing to bet if you take the sway bar off and try the same manuvers the car would hit two wheels or even roll over. Now the suspension is quite soft which makes it nice for a luxury car, but not a sports car. So over all, I dont like the suspension design if you mean to use this as a race car. If you want a family sedan, go for it.
As the interior goes, not a bad design, tons of room, and a pretty clean design. The guages kinda remind me of my ex's tits staring at me, dont know, they look a lot different from the cavy's. The dash is pretty clean and kept away from the driver. There is plenty of leg room for everyone in the car and tons of head room. The seats are pretty nifty design. They incorportated some sort of air lift situation for the seats, you pump the lever up and the seat rises, pump it down and the seat lowers, not bad. There is no center console which I really dont like, I'm used to puttin my right arm on the armrest when I drive, but now theres nothing there. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who like to pull the e-brake every now and then around a nice turn or to make a quick u-turn. But the e-brake in this thing is as big as my c**k, you go to grab it and its freakin huge, and it doesnt go up very far at all. Like they dont want you to pull it. Now when I went to back up and looked ou the rear window, I was rather displeased. The rear deck slants up, blocking most of your view making it rather hard to drive in reverse, you are now dependent on your sideviews.
The body design kinda reminds me of a geo metro mixed with a impala, what do you guys think? I'm not to fond of the fact that the car is rather tall, seems to make it a bit top heavy. That I think contributes to the rolling factor on tight turns. The trunk is huge, if you ever feel like killing someone and putting them in the trunk, you got the room. The front of the car isnt bad. The moster sized headlights kinda remind me of a honda or something, but its not a bad touch. Body, to me not bad, but coulda been a bit more sportier.
Over all with this car I like it performance wise but, handling and body design as a sports car....NO. If Chevy was aiming for a new luxury car, they got it. Comfortable, spacious, and smooth. If they want to make this the cavalier replacement I think they need to redesign it for 06 and give it a little more loprofile design.
Well thats my review, feel free to let me know, and add what ever you think.
Later.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/747651
http://www.JuiceBoxHeroes.com

Re: Cobalt...My Review
Monday, March 14, 2005 6:54 AM
if you think the eco's fast in a auto ion buy a 5peed cav with the eco. a auto ion is good for what a mid 16 at best.
Monday, March 14, 2005 9:51 AM
Quote:

if you think the eco's fast in a auto ion buy a 5peed cav with the eco. a auto ion is good for what a mid 16 at best.
cobalt
Monday, March 14, 2005 5:55 PM
I think that if you were looking to test drive a sports car you should have drove a Cobalt SS, not a base model lol. When you drive the Cobalt SS let us know if it feels more like a sports car to you.

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 9:45 AM
you over hype that car alot when it comes to performance dude. You drive a 2200, any car is going to perform better than that. Ecotecs and Ld9s arent very fast in their stock form. Id call them quick at best.

2006 Black Cobalt SS Supercharged G85
13.91@102.77
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 11:15 AM
maybe quick O_O. u over hyped the cobalt. i think u need a faster daily driver lol.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/StylezTA
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 1:53 PM
Ok maybe you didnt read where I wrote, "i test drove a friends car" you can bet if i were at the dealership i would of drove the ss, but i wasnt. and anyway unlike the majoirty of you im not exactly rich, my daily isnt fast because i just got it and i dont have a pile of money to pour into it. we'll talk a little later this summer when i finish putting together my super 60 turbo, and redo the bottom end of my engine. later.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/747651
http://www.JuiceBoxHeroes.com
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 2:33 PM
do that

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 10:39 PM
good job, got some pics?

__
CobaltSS.net - Chevy Cobalt Enthusiasts

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 9:22 AM
drive the ss. the suspension is WAY stiff. But i agree about those HUGE headlights, it looks like a malibu coming at me.

-Adam

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search