LS7 and ZL1 are available in crate - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
LS7 and ZL1 are available in crate
Wednesday, March 23, 2005 9:00 AM
I know this ain't "other cars." But I thought these would be nice engines to put in other cars.

Chevrolet unveiled the 2006 Corvette Z06 at Detroit's North American International Auto Show in January, and now GM Performance Parts is unveiling the crate engine version of the LS7 engine that powers it. This latest Z06, billed as "the fastest, most powerful car ever offered by Chevrolet and GM," has enthusiasts looking for that kind of power in a crate engine. GM Performance Parts is ready to end that search as it offers the LS7 (P/N 17802397) at GM dealerships and Authorized Centers, nationwide in August.
This small-block V-8 dreams big, displacing big-block cubic inches at 7.0 Liters (427 cubic inches) and big-block power at 500 hp at 6200 rpm. It also benches 475 lb.-ft. of torque at 4800 rpm. Helping to create its high power and high revving capability are details such as cylinder heads with computer numerical control (CNC) intake and exhaust ports and combustion chambers - which creates ports with surgical accuracy for maximum power production. In addition, the intake valves and connecting rods are made out of high-strength lightweight titanium.
The LS7 engines are assembled by hand at GM Powertrain's new Performance Build Center in Wixom, Mich.
Pricing will be announced mid-summer; however, early estimates indicate that the GMPP LS7 crate engine will sell for well below the cost of comparable custom-built aftermarket engines.
Enthusiasts who must have the latest technology, maximum horsepower and the largest production cubic-inch displacement small-block ever built will be able to purchase the LS7, as well as other GM Performance Parts crate engines, blocks, heads and components, from GM dealerships or GMPP Authorized Centers nationwide. Following the release of the LS7 in a crate, GMPP will offer select parts, such as the crankshaft, connecting rods, cylinder heads and valves separately, and in kit form.

LS7 specifications:
Part number: 17802397
Horsepower: 500 (373 kW) @ 6200 rpm
Torque (lb.-ft.): 475 (644 Nm) @ 4800 rpm
Engine type: Cam-in-block 90-degree V-8
Displacement (L/cu in): 7.0 / 427
Bore x stroke (mm/in) 104.8 x 101.6 / 4.125 x 4.00
Block: Cast aluminum with pressed-in cylinder sleeves and 6-bolt, forged steel main bearing caps
Crankshaft: Forged steel
Connecting rods: Forged titanium
Pistons: Cast aluminum
Camshaft type: Hydraulic roller, 15 mm (.591 in) lift (intake and exhaust)
Cylinder heads: CNC-ported aluminum; 70-cc chamber volume
Valve size (mm/in): 56 / 2.20 (titanium) intake / 41 / 1.61 (sodium-filled) exhaust
Compression ratio 11.0:1
Rocker arms: 1.8:1; offset (intake only)
Recommended fuel: Premium required. 91 octane minimum

And... .

Kicking out 510 hp and featuring the legendary all aluminum ZL1 cylinder block, the Ram Jet ZL1 is sure to be a highly sought item by collectors for years to come. Only 200 of the limited edition fuel injected crate engines were produced and only about 50 left to be found from GM dealerships. Each engine carries a special three-digit serial number machined into its unique cast logo Ram Jet ZL1 valve covers.
The ZL1 block is produced from the original tooling used in 1969, but includes a few modern updates such as provisions for a roller camshaft and improved main webs. With 510 horses on tap thanks to its 10.2 to 1 compression ratio and 640/598 lift solid roller cam, the Ram Jet ZL1 uses GMPP’s Ram Jet fuel injection, offering great throttle response, torque and drivability.
The Ram Jet ZL1 comes complete with ignition, fuel system, water pump, starter, automatic transmission flexplate, EMC and wiring harness for quick and easy installation.
Consumers can purchase GM Performance Parts, including the Ram Jet ZL1, from any GM dealership or GMPP Authorized Center.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: LS7 and ZL1 are available in crate
Wednesday, March 23, 2005 9:10 AM
sweet

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 9:32 AM
SPLOOOOOGE.

Now if only I had a decent car to throw that motor into...maybe I do.

Have a good one,
Justin

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 9:36 AM
There's a cherry mid 70's vette that LS7 would fit perfectly in for sale near me, if only I had the money . Any info on pricing?

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 1:06 PM
how much money?

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 6:12 PM
yea how much.

-Borsty
Wednesday, March 23, 2005 7:06 PM
GM crate engines are notoriously expensive.

Much rather use an LS1 for a project car. 98+ F-Body front clip goes for apx. 4-5K USD...

Toronto Street Racing | J-Body club of Ontario | J-Body Tech Library
Equality is a Prescription, Not a Description. Learn the Difference, Newbs.
Wednesday, March 23, 2005 9:16 PM
my guess? 9 G's for either one

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 9:23 PM
JinxedZ THE LOVED ONE wrote:GM crate engines are notoriously expensive.

Much rather use an LS1 for a project car. 98+ F-Body front clip goes for apx. 4-5K USD...

ZZ4's aren't all too shabby.

$3,800 for 355 hp/405 ft/lb.

Honestly that's not that bad.

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 9:39 PM
Brown eye wrote:my guess? 9 G's for either one

more. alto more.

ZL1, well u can read

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=159976&prmenbr=361

it used to be liek 22k

-Borsty
Wednesday, March 23, 2005 10:23 PM
thats @!#$ ridiculous
way too much money
for that price i could take a 4.6l cobra motor and double the horsepower with money to spare....

Thursday, March 24, 2005 9:57 AM

whose crate engines arent?

Thursday, March 24, 2005 12:12 PM
sappyL61 wrote:

whose crate engines arent?

yes but there is a difference between expensive and ludicrous

Thursday, March 24, 2005 2:48 PM
you are right
and mopars are ludacrous

Thursday, March 24, 2005 9:53 PM
well, i dunno about you, but 13K for a Hemi or 13K for a made-up GM? i know where i'll be heading... Mopars are the best-sounding engines, anyway

Thursday, March 24, 2005 10:01 PM
mm what i wouldnt give for a ZL1

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search