3.8 supercharged help! - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3.8 supercharged help!
Saturday, March 26, 2005 7:39 PM
Alright, my buddy wants to get a camaro with the older lt1 6-speed, but hes been searching for awhile, and its hard to come by one with a nice price tag, they get gobbled up quite fast, so....hes thinking just getting a 97 3.8 5-speed, its a good price, and he wants to know if u can put the 3.8 supercharger from like a GTP or some of the other numerous cars with the same engine, on a 3.8 rwd version??? Since he has some $$ saved from getting a v6 5-speed, he wants to 'charge it and put down some nice pony numbers from the 3.8. Those 3.8 superchargers are all over and u can get em for pretty cheap, so i was wondering what it would take to get one on a 3.8 camaro???

Re: 3.8 supercharged help!
Saturday, March 26, 2005 8:13 PM
i know some one who is selling their lt1

Saturday, March 26, 2005 9:48 PM
it would fit on the engine fine, but the throttle body would be pointing directly at the firewall. i'm sure you could do it, but it sounds like a lot of unnecesary work. just go turbo instead

Sunday, March 27, 2005 1:01 AM
no, it wont fit on the engine just fine, and even if it did, you'd run the risk of seriously hurting the engine. the L36 (N/A) and the L67 (supercharged) are similar engines, but the L67 has a beefier bottom end, and different heads. you'd also have to get a new intake manifold to mate with the supercharger. those superchargers are in high demand, as well. $1200 easy for a refurbished one. $2 grand for a new one. It's possible to do, but it'll take a lot of time, and even more money. new rods, pistons, heads, intake manifold. it's gonna kick up the money pretty high. they do have a turbo kit at PFCY. it's almost $3000, but it'll make more power than a roots style blower. anyway, i say stay on the search. there's nothin like a V8. but good luck if you go with the 3800, it'll be a bit more rare then.
Andy

Andy

it's not how fast you go, it's how you get there that counts.
ZZP XP cam, 1.6 rockers, 105# springs, speedbuilt FWI, 3.3" modular pulley, TOG headers,
3" exhaust, flomatched injectors
'97 GTP 14.06@100.6mph pre cam w/ 3.5" pulley, I/E
Sunday, March 27, 2005 3:56 AM
Andy wrote:no, it wont fit on the engine just fine, and even if it did, you'd run the risk of seriously hurting the engine. the L36 (N/A) and the L67 (supercharged) are similar engines, but the L67 has a beefier bottom end, and different heads. you'd also have to get a new intake manifold to mate with the supercharger. those superchargers are in high demand, as well. $1200 easy for a refurbished one. $2 grand for a new one. It's possible to do, but it'll take a lot of time, and even more money. new rods, pistons, heads, intake manifold. it's gonna kick up the money pretty high. they do have a turbo kit at PFCY. it's almost $3000, but it'll make more power than a roots style blower. anyway, i say stay on the search. there's nothin like a V8. but good luck if you go with the 3800, it'll be a bit more rare then.
Andy

Yup good advise. You can also get a turbo kit from cartuning at 3800performance.com They got close to 300whp on a stock engine with their kit.

Quoth the Raven 'Nevermore
raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Sunday, March 27, 2005 3:12 PM
Andy wrote:no, it wont fit on the engine just fine, and even if it did, you'd run the risk of seriously hurting the engine. the L36 (N/A) and the L67 (supercharged) are similar engines, but the L67 has a beefier bottom end, and different heads. you'd also have to get a new intake manifold to mate with the supercharger. those superchargers are in high demand, as well. $1200 easy for a refurbished one. $2 grand for a new one. It's possible to do, but it'll take a lot of time, and even more money. new rods, pistons, heads, intake manifold. it's gonna kick up the money pretty high. they do have a turbo kit at PFCY. it's almost $3000, but it'll make more power than a roots style blower. anyway, i say stay on the search. there's nothin like a V8. but good luck if you go with the 3800, it'll be a bit more rare then.
Andy

i never said it would be safe, but it could fit

Sunday, March 27, 2005 5:33 PM
Tell him to save up for an LS1 instead of either of them. He just needs to wait and keep his eye open. If not get the LT1 then instead if he can't find one or afford it. The LT1 can be modded easliy and wouldn't cost much. Also V8 camaros are rare compared to the V6s and he will defineltly enjoy the V8 over the V6.

2000 Z-24
2001 Z28 Camaro: Kooks Longtube headers,
Magnoflow Catted Y pipe,
Loudmouth Exaust,Ultra Z Hood with Ram air kit,
SLP Air Lid with K&N filter,
SLP MAF & Bellows,17"Firehawk Wheels
Sunday, March 27, 2005 8:27 PM
he was looking at ls1's too, but the lt1 can be modded easier like u said, and there is only like a 25 hp difference in the 2, and he doesnt like the alluminum block of the ls1, but if the 3.8 could take the abuse of a turbo, it should take the 6-8 whatever the pounds of boost there is from the charger, so if he took the chance and didnt build it up, just got a new intake manifold like u said, could he get the intake mani off of a gtp also? and on ebay there are tons of those chargers for like 400$'s, i know u would be taking quite the chance with them but, better than 2 g's
Sunday, March 27, 2005 10:25 PM
Even to do the switch over, it wont ft right because the throttle body will be hitting the firewall. Its been discussed before. Look at www.3800tech.com, you can find out all about it there.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search