Need help deciding... - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need help deciding...
Friday, March 25, 2005 5:43 PM
Well guys, I've come to a crossroad...

I could use some help deciding. I'm really interested in getting a new Cobalt, but I really like my Cavalier. I'm not sure if I want to keep modding the cavalier and not buy a new car, or if I'd rather just buy a new car and sell this one.

What I was thinking was either drop about $2K or so into my Cavalier and finish it off...or buy a new, base Cobalt Coupe and drop about $4K of mods into THAT and sell the Cavalier. I realize keeping the cavalier is probably the smarter idea since I won't be spending as much money, but what would you guys REALLY suggest?

I'm not too sure on what I want to do...but I know for sure I don't wanna keep spending on my car if I'm getting something new.

Thanks.

MaximumBoost.net
1-888-TURBO-31
sales@maximumboost.net

TAX ID: 45-8013458577-3

Re: Need help deciding...
Friday, March 25, 2005 6:04 PM
Buy my car and with that money I will buy a cobalt. LOL

I say either get a newer cavalier or a cobalt. Your car is getting pretty old now so I think its time for something new.

Friday, March 25, 2005 6:07 PM
Agreed I wouldn't mind buying a Cobalt LS and putting on some rims, kit, spoiler, and performance stuff...

I'm not sure I can get much for my car though. That kind of makes me wanna keep it.

MaximumBoost.net
1-888-TURBO-31
sales@maximumboost.net

Friday, March 25, 2005 6:07 PM
why not put 4K worth of mods in the cav? if you're going to get a cobalt.. get the SS version.. this is a hard call.. good luck deciding

1997 Cavalier Z24 4Spd Auto. Magnaflow dual exhaust.
Friday, March 25, 2005 6:18 PM
Just not sure if I wanna keep modding this car. Wow....I really don't have any clue on what to do.

MaximumBoost.net
1-888-TURBO-31
sales@maximumboost.net

Friday, March 25, 2005 6:40 PM
it comes down to your needs and wants do you need a new car or want a new car? if your wants outway your needs then you have already made your decision. i say keep the car you have now drop more money into it (buy one of your own turbo kits)new paint do interior if it isnt done already. just do something that people arent expecting.or buy the cobalt pay the car payment every month and start over even though you have already (i bet ) dropped a good chunk of change on the cavi. restart and hope the parts you want are out or coming out soon for the cobalt.

Friday, March 25, 2005 7:46 PM
Hey Frank...it's kinda funny that we are both at the same crossroads.

I am also considering (o.k....greatly considering) picking up a Cobalt myself, but I'm not exactly sure on what I'm going to do. I'll have about $6,000 in cash and credit (0% promotional interest for the life of the balance) that'll be available to me in the next month or so. I'm debating with myself if I should dump $6,000 worth of mods in my 2003 base model Cavalier or if I should take that money and use it as a down payment on a Cobalt. While I've been talking lately like me getting a Cobalt is certain I'm not sure. I keep thinking there's so much I can do to my car (and where I live, I think it's about time my town gets a nice tricked car that's not like the typical tuners I see all the time) and when I see guys like Darkstars, Meckster (yes Meckster...that car is awesome), Cannon Fodder and others it gives me that motivation to start modding my car or when I see a show like "Tricked Out" like I did tonight on the DIY channel, that gives me the motivation to go out and purchase the stuff for my car that I want modded. The only problem is, after a year of being on this board...I haven't absorb information too well can't to do 99% of the mods that people do on this site and make it look easy. I wouldn't know where to start, how to pull it off...and since this is my only ride, I can't afford to make a mistake that will put my car out of commission and leave me rideless. Buying the items I want for my car, then having a Tuner Shop or a professional Body Shop to do all the work would just prove to be too expensive to me in the long run. I've only had my car for two years and think there's alot I can do, if I can get around the right crew and get truely helpful people who would be willing to help me in person to get the jobs done right the first time...hopefully.

The only I'm considering the Cobalt is simply the fact that I like it, and it corrects some of the faults that my Cavalier has (i.e., power accessories, optional equipment such as foglights, etc) plus I'm wanting a car that's a manual now that I know how to drive one. So at this point, I'm not sure what way to go.

Sorry for "thread jacking" just wanted you to know that you're not the only one at that crossroads, without a clue as to what to do. While out stories are different, our paths are similiar. I can only say weigh your options...listen to the advice of others and go from there. Obviously with a 96, you may be in need of a new car more than me, but that's for you to decide...good luck however, in the choice you make.
Friday, March 25, 2005 8:07 PM
I know your car is a '99...why did I type '96....stupid me.
Friday, March 25, 2005 8:30 PM
mines a 96 and personally... i plan on keeping my cavalier... so what if its a 96...i plan on it being the nicest 96

Friday, March 25, 2005 8:32 PM
Haha! I was wondering that. Thanks for the help man. It's good to see someone with a similar problem around here This is going to be a big decision...and there's no turning back...

MaximumBoost.net
1-888-TURBO-31
sales@maximumboost.net

Friday, March 25, 2005 9:03 PM
you just started an internet business based on Cavaliers.....funny that you would now turn around and sell yours

Friday, March 25, 2005 9:05 PM
Very true man...I was thinking the same thing

MaximumBoost.net
1-888-TURBO-31
sales@maximumboost.net

Friday, March 25, 2005 9:19 PM
if you do get the cobalt...your back to square 1 with a car that looks like all the other ones

Friday, March 25, 2005 9:26 PM
Yeah That's why if I got it, I'd probably throw it in the garage for a few weeks until I had most of my mods on it (or order my parts before I get the car!).

MaximumBoost.net
1-888-TURBO-31
sales@maximumboost.net

Friday, March 25, 2005 9:35 PM
keep your cavalier, once you buy the colbalt its going to go down value just like your cavy, and in turn loose more money.

i say keep the cav

Friday, March 25, 2005 11:24 PM
keep the cav

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 10:39 AM
ide kill for the money to get a cobalt...

ide keep the cavi and get the cobalt.....

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 10:54 AM
Keep your cav. If you REALLY want a Cobalt buy a Celica instead: they look almost the same, the Celica is probably better made, and the Celica actually has a huge massive aftermarket for it already. Plus you can find used Celicas and get one cheaper.
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 11:00 AM
keep the cav for another year or 2, then sell it and buy a used cobalt, that way you dont get screwed over on the depressiation on the cobalt
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 12:53 PM
Personally I would keep the cavalier, and wait another 4 years until the Cobalt platform matures a little. There is so much more you can do with the cav right now, maybe drop some more money in the cav and start saving up for the Cobalt, Really a base combalt is not going to be terribly better than what you have? Maybe if you went with the SS edition you would be satisfied. Go test drive the base Cobalt and then maybe see if it helps your decision.

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 5:35 PM
Saving money never hurt anyone, put the money in the bank or in a cd and think on it a while. I agree, let someone take the hit on depreciation and buy it used. Youll also know what you getting into, at this point, we dont know if the Cobalt will be a great car or a Pinto

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 6:47 PM
Thanks for all of your help guys. My decision has been made....

...Keep the Cavalier obviously I'll wait a year or two and then see what's up

MaximumBoost.net
1-888-TURBO-31
sales@maximumboost.net

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 6:58 PM
i was going to say keep the cavy also, but i'm to late.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search