Technology - Cars to have Tire Pressure Monitoring - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Technology - Cars to have Tire Pressure Monitoring
Thursday, April 07, 2005 7:34 PM
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum. If it is, feel free to move it.

CNN - Tire Pressure Monitoring System

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A light on motorists' instrument panels will soon warn them when a tire is underinflated.

The safety regulation, issued by the government Thursday, has its roots in the Firestone tire recall of 2000. It requires new passenger cars to have tire pressure monitoring systems in place by the 2008 model year.

Automakers most likely will attach tiny sensors to each wheel that will signal if a tire falls 25 percent below the recommended inflation pressure. If any one of the four tires is underinflated, the sensor sets off a warning light.

Automakers will begin using the technology in September. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates the upgrade will cost manufacturers between $48.44 and $69.89 per vehicle.

The government said underinflated tires affect a vehicle's fuel economy and can increase stopping distances, contribute to the likelihood of tire failure and lead to skidding on wet surfaces. One NHTSA survey found about 30 percent of cars and light trucks have at least one tire underinflated by 8 pounds per square inch or more.

All new four-wheel vehicles weighing 10,000 pounds or less must be equipped with the systems by the 2008 model year, the government said. The regulation affects passenger cars, sport utility vehicles, pickup trucks and minivans.

NHTSA estimates that 120 lives a year will be saved when all new vehicles are equipped with the systems.

The regulation was proposed last September. Tire manufacturers have questioned whether the warning system would signal low pressure early enough. Automakers have raised concerns that motorists may ignore the lights if they appear too frequently.

Donald B. Shea, president and chief executive of the Rubber Manufacturers Association, the trade group that represents tire makers, said, "Unfortunately, this regulation may give motorists a false sense of security that their tires are properly inflated when they may be significantly underinflated."

Eron Shosteck, a spokesman for The Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, which represents nine automakers, said about 18 percent of their vehicles already have the technology. It first appeared in the 1997 Chevrolet Corvette and is currently used in some luxury vehicles.

"We're gratified that there's a final rule which allows us to continue the implementation of the technology as we've been doing," Shosteck said. Automakers estimate the upgrade will cost an average of $115 per vehicle.

Congress, aiming to prevent SUV rollovers after the massive Firestone tire recall began in August 2000, sought the warning devices in the Transportation Recall Enhancement, Accountability and Documentation Act.

NHTSA originally issued a rule in December 2001 that would have required vehicles made after November 2003 to have dashboard lights warning drivers if their tire pressure was low.

But Public Citizen and other consumer groups sued the government agency, arguing the rule weakly allowed automakers to choose between cheaper "indirect" monitors, which operate off the antilock braking system, or "direct" systems, which have monitors attached to each wheel.

Re: Technology - Cars to have Tire Pressure Monito
Thursday, April 07, 2005 8:31 PM
they have had those as an aftermarket add on for a few years

Thursday, April 07, 2005 9:08 PM
kinda makes me wonder with all our technology these days why all cars wouldnt have something so simple and cost effective already.

96 2.2 5speed
**SOLD**
Thursday, April 07, 2005 10:07 PM
I hate this crap. More crap for me to deal with , mess up bad, pay for, when the modding starts. The same way I have to trick the ECU when modding, trick the 2nd downstrem O2 sensor when installing exhaust, etc. More sensors, checks, emissions systems = more headaches and just another thing to break.
Thursday, April 07, 2005 10:16 PM
uuummmm, the vetts already have a version of this do they not?

Thursday, April 07, 2005 10:18 PM
lots of cars already have it...any car with run flats must have it by law....however its really gonna suck when you have a constantly leaky tire like i do and i know already that its low...also i wonder where exactly the sensor will be placed and if changing tires etc will become more difficult

Supercharged 95 BMW 540i M-Sport
Thursday, April 07, 2005 10:19 PM
putting on different rims....

Supercharged 95 BMW 540i M-Sport
Thursday, April 07, 2005 10:51 PM
its much cheaper if cars are equipped with ABS already
otherwise its muy expensive

Friday, April 08, 2005 5:41 AM
almost all og Chevy and Gmc Yukons and other SUV's have had this for a few years.

I ain't callin u a gold digga,but you ain't messin wit a broke cracka
Friday, April 08, 2005 6:20 AM
it doesn't sound too bad to me, as long as the sensors can be moved onto different wheels.

Friday, April 08, 2005 7:03 AM
Didnt the alero get this feature a long time ago?

2000 2200 Cavalier: 9/14/2000--10/23/2006
2007 G85 SS S/C: 10/23/2006--Present
Vote for me at Motortopia.com! Thanks!

Friday, April 08, 2005 7:30 AM
god that will be so freaking annoying at the track

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Friday, April 08, 2005 9:29 AM
On some Fords, they actually have a sensor on the inside of the tire either glued or tack welded onto the wheel for monitoring tire pressure. And they can be repaced, so I'm assuming you could put them on the inside of aftermarket wheels as well.

...or just wait until 3 days after the system is implemented and someone bypasses it.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Friday, April 08, 2005 9:34 AM
its offered on the mazda 3's but if your change wheels it wont transfer over so they'd have to start making wheels that it is adaptable to. from what i rememember when i looked into it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, April 08, 2005 10:02 AM
my '97 grand prix has a tire pressure checking system, as does every grand prix since then. it's not really that useful. more of a pain in the ass, really. it's hooked up to your ABS. the pain in the ass is that it messes everything up when it breaks.

Andy

it's not how fast you go, it's how you get there that counts.
ZZP XP cam, 1.6 rockers, 105# springs, speedbuilt FWI, 3.3" modular pulley, TOG headers,
3" exhaust, flomatched injectors
'97 GTP 14.06@100.6mph pre cam w/ 3.5" pulley, I/E
Friday, April 08, 2005 11:22 AM
But guys, the 10's of millions of dollars spent adding these to all new cars, the headaches caused when they quit working, the PITA and cost that will hit the many millions of car modifiers is well worth the 0 lives this will actually save. We all know underinflated tires are a huge killer, we also should just lock everybody up in a foam padded bubble after birth so none of the worlds evils can get us, think how many lives we could save....
Friday, April 08, 2005 12:02 PM
dave lee wrote:But guys, the 10's of millions of dollars spent adding these to all new cars, the headaches caused when they quit working, the PITA and cost that will hit the many millions of car modifiers is well worth the 0 lives this will actually save. We all know underinflated tires are a huge killer, we also should just lock everybody up in a foam padded bubble after birth so none of the worlds evils can get us, think how many lives we could save....

obviously uninformed

Friday, April 08, 2005 12:15 PM
Yeh this is nothign new vw has it on there higher end cars, the Phaeton and Toureg. It realy is a pain in the ass... on the Touregs the in dash disply info center the tire presure monitoring tends to drop out of the cluster which is a pain in the ass becaus eyou have to make the computer bring i back up again. Its so sensative you have to set tire pressures with a digital tire pressure guage, and once its set you have to drive the car for 8-15 miles depending on condition for the system to relearn, when you rotoate the tires you have to relearn the system, when the battery goes dead you have to relearn the system, ect.. and liek I siad it drops off the info center so you can't get relearn it, so many problems that in 05 tire pressure mounitering is now an option not standard. But the sensors can be swapped to differnet wheels

Friday, April 08, 2005 2:16 PM
the Scion tC comes with a Tire Pressure Monitor. A little warning light on the dash comes on if the tires have a low tire pressure .

<a href="http://webpages.charter.net/nightmare-32/"></a>
...Oh no I'm a big bad fake moderator...[]Support the ORG, go Premium
<a href="http://www.j-body.org/forums/rules.php">Please, read the rules.</a> | Retired Sig Maker Count: 74</a> | <a href="http://www.j-body.org/~gatewayjbody">Gateway J-body's</a>

Friday, April 08, 2005 2:17 PM
themarin8r wrote:
dave lee wrote:But guys, the 10's of millions of dollars spent adding these to all new cars, the headaches caused when they quit working, the PITA and cost that will hit the many millions of car modifiers is well worth the 0 lives this will actually save. We all know underinflated tires are a huge killer, we also should just lock everybody up in a foam padded bubble after birth so none of the worlds evils can get us, think how many lives we could save....

obviously uninformed

Why? Were you a victim of underinflated tires....

Yes, i'm sorry this is the best idea ever. I am obviously uninformed. Apparently, you need help from the goverment to inflate your tires. How about a side of daytime running lamps, automatic seatbelts, and Mario Andretti as your personal chauffeur.
Friday, April 08, 2005 2:33 PM
and to clarify, I know this has been around for awhile as our 2001 aurora has them also. I just think the goverment REQUIRING every single car manufactuar to do this when its just another thing to buy when modifing wheels, break, mess up, reset, etc is F-ing retarded. Let manufacturers do this at their own discretion. I guess setting around w/out passing laws is no fun, they need to look like they did something when campaign time rolls around.

Friday, April 08, 2005 6:10 PM
it will be a huge fuel saver to nationwide

My car was made with wrenches, Not chopsticks.
Saturday, April 09, 2005 8:50 AM
Oh cool, I didn't know that some cars had them already.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search