GM halts future RWD pass cars (Zeta) - Page 2 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: GM halts future RWD pass cars (Zeta)
Monday, March 28, 2005 9:34 AM
Insight from Australia and the latest info on this topic.

Australia, General Motors' decision to cancel North American plans for rear-drive premium vehicles means a diminished status for Australia in GM's global product pipeline.

In January, GM assigned Holden, its Australian subsidiary, as its global engineering center for its rwd platform, or Zeta architecture. GM also named Gene Stefanyshyn as Zeta's chief engineer.

But GM insiders say Stefanyshyn, the vehicle line executive for GM's Epsilon fwd mid-sized car architecture used in the Chevrolet Malibu and other cars, never moved to Australia, and his future in the Zeta program is unknown.

"We don't know the implications for Gene or his role as a VLE," a GM spokesman says.
Last week, GM Vice Chairman Robert Lutz told employees in an e-mail that the current business climate forced a stoppage of Zeta's use in North America. Engineers and designers now will switch their emphasis to pulling forward GM's full-sized trucks and SUVs.
The news seemed to catch Holden off guard.

Holding pattern...

On March 3, Holden Chairman Denny Mooney told Automotive News he was greatly anticipating Stefanyshyn's arrival in Australia.

Tony Stolfo, Holden's design director, said the next generation of Zeta essentially was in a holding pattern waiting for Stefanyshyn's direction.

"We're just waiting for Gene. When he gets here, he'll set the direction," Stolfo admitted.

GM executives had weighed the decision to stop Zeta for "about a month," one GM insider says.
GM had planned to use the architecture as the basis for products that were scheduled to launch in North America in 2008 as sedans, sport wagons and coupes.

Lutz told employees the decision does not mean GM has canceled plans to build rear-drive vehicles altogether.

Mooney admitted "there is a lot of technical interaction on how we do our rear-wheel drive and how they do it," he said. Over time, Mooney said, there could be more sharing between Australia and the United States.

GM has invested heavily in developing Holden's engineering and design facilities in Port Melbourne, adding a $6 million virtual design room, one of only a handful of virtual design studios in the world.

Holden design executives work daily in the design studios, collaborating with counterparts in Warren, Mich.

Design reviews...

Mooney said he has met at least quarterly with Lutz on design reviews.
"I'm going to say it probably is going accelerate," Mooney said.
One North American supplier says GM's Zeta vehicles were completely engineered in Australia and were ready for tooling. The forecast volume was 400,000 globally.

With that much work done, it was surprising to see North American production canceled, the supplier said: "It was essentially all baked in Australia. All they needed to do was to put in a plant here."

The supplier says 50,000 units will still go to China.
But, as for North America, the supplier says: "For now, they say it's canceled."

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Monday, March 28, 2005 10:15 AM
interesting

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 7:57 AM
As I said before...
God damn son of a &!$#@$in' &!@#$% morons!
It looks like If I can't find a late 80's G-body I like for a reasonable price I'm gonna buy a new mustang when I get a descent sum of money in the bank.

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 10:04 AM
its delayed
probably going to be another year
so they can release all of the new trucks

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 11:10 AM
spike...go with an f-body, man...

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 9:44 PM
Wild Weasel wrote:Seriously... WTF???

I was thinking exactly what Labora posted. Damn...

Drop all plans for a real 300C competitor and put more effort into the stuff that's causing you to lose money right now because people don't want it. Go figure!

*sigh*

I've really been looking forward to the fruits of the Zeta platform too!

One of the reasons GM has put the platform on hold is because they couldn't make the numbers work with regards to pricing it competitively to the 300c

In anycase no matter how much of a hit the zeta cars turned out to be there would never match the profit potential of the suv's/pickups and with gm's current financial condition this is a serious consideration
Saturday, April 09, 2005 5:46 PM
this doesnt mean they cant make a GTO in Aussie land and ship it over here like the current ones, it just means no NA plant for the zeta's

I would venture to guess this might be the case....

Pete ***RIP John Lingenfelter***
2002 Flame Yellow Sunfire GT B+M shifted 5 Spd
Just looking for mods and prey

Sunday, April 10, 2005 7:12 AM
The way classifacation of imported goods has been changing they might just keep it 100% in Austraillia.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search