someone plz explain the honda wheels!! - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
someone plz explain the honda wheels!!
Monday, April 11, 2005 10:31 AM
ok maybe im getting old and i just dont get it?? but it seems like every honda i see has 17s or so in the rear and stock hubs on the front....do i just not get it?? or is there a reason for this?? a japanese fad? cus i reallyyyyy think it looks stupid :p first thought they couldnt afford 4 so they only got 2 rims but then i see everyone with them ..am i old fashioned for wanting FOUR new rims??? some one PLZ HELP ME OUT??!! lol

Re: someone plz explain the honda wheels!!
Monday, April 11, 2005 10:43 AM
I think the word can be found from something they eat.

RICE!!!!

Check Out My Domain Page!!!
Monday, April 11, 2005 10:45 AM
Nah, other people with cars with FWD do that also. They might of just finished racing around town or were just down at the drag strip.

Have a good one,
Justin

Monday, April 11, 2005 11:02 AM
no im telling you...this is how they have their cars set up...i see them parked like this...i see them cruise like this....personally i think its retarded but hey..i dont drive a honda..all 4 of my wheels match :p

Monday, April 11, 2005 11:29 AM
The idea is that the stock rims reduce the gearing (where as bigger rims would slow them down on the front changing the gearing) and weigh less so they can go faster so they put them on the front. Atleast this is what I heard weather or not a riceboy even understands that a taller tire reduces gearing is another story but whatever. Looks stupid to me.

95 Cobra
Check out my site
Monday, April 11, 2005 11:36 AM
or the idea is that they get better traction in the snow, with winter really being the only time i see this phenomenon

Monday, April 11, 2005 12:20 PM
ok let me get this straight....these hondas are SO slow they can only put rims on the back of the car or it will slow them down completly?? why not just get 4 rims the same size as the stock ones but look better? wouldnt that be the best thing to do? insteal of driving around looking like a fool cus of something you did on purpose and STILL doesnt do anything.....i mean come on ..whats this give them .01 of a second on their 1/4 times???

Monday, April 11, 2005 12:32 PM
themarin8r wrote:or the idea is that they get better traction in the snow, with winter really being the only time i see this phenomenon

For emphasis.

With it starting to get warm, some may be lazier than others in putting back on thier good front rims and tires. Low profile tires yield virtually no traction in snow. Around here, it's common to see any fwd car with stock hubs/tires on the front and nice rims on the rear in winter.

And no...I have no clue why they don't just replace all four rims/tires with stock ones for the winter.

Monday, April 11, 2005 12:37 PM
and you have to realize guys...i live in NC..it snowed a total of 3 times this year...right now its in the 80s...is this swap REALLYY needed?

Monday, April 11, 2005 12:38 PM
The winter thing is BS cus I live in Texas and see dumbass riceboys doing that crap year round.

95 Cobra
Check out my site
Monday, April 11, 2005 12:42 PM
scott trent wrote:and you have to realize guys...i live in NC..it snowed a total of 3 times this year...right now its in the 80s...is this swap REALLYY needed?

So do I, I'm in Greensboro...but you don't want to be stuck somewhere during one of our infrequent snows with low pro tires and zero traction. The car will never get make it. Even when it's just slush, the tires get nothing. I know, I've been there, done that.

They are just being cautious. At least, that's what I hope. Otherwise, they're just idiots.

Monday, April 11, 2005 12:47 PM
Around here at least I only see that when people come back from the track, otherwise its 4 rims.

------------------------------------

Club Vantage - http://www.club-vantage.com
Monday, April 11, 2005 12:49 PM
...i think their just idiots

Monday, April 11, 2005 1:10 PM
a tire with a lager sidewall will hook up better than a stiff walled low profile tire. and a 14 wheel will help out alot in aceleration compared to a 17 or 18. especially on a car with litle to no torque, AKA honda. runsome d/r's on the stock steelies and then you'll understand why people do it.
Monday, April 11, 2005 2:44 PM
Umm, the car has to turn the back wheels too. Heavy rims on the rear slow it down just as much as on the front. Might as well have light rims all around for best effect.

O noes!
Monday, April 11, 2005 2:48 PM
you guyz

lol different rims are the new pink... all the cool kids are doing it!

all i can say is there is alot of people that

1. Lack common sense
2. Lack taste
3. Pretend they ae going to do something to thier car and are going for the "und3r konstruchion" look

Monday, April 11, 2005 3:30 PM
Smokey wrote:Umm, the car has to turn the back wheels too. Heavy rims on the rear slow it down just as much as on the front. Might as well have light rims all around for best effect.

That is only true to an extent. Yes the bigger rims have to be turned too, but the engine isn't turning them, they are being turned by the car moving foward over the stationary road. The rear wheels will be more of a factor during cornering then moving in a straight line. Just look at a Pro Drag car, in any series, the wheels on the drive axles are smaller then the wheels on the non-drive axle.

By going with smaller 14" rims on the front you decrease the Moment of Inertia, because the mass of the wheel is now closer to the center of the hub so it makes it easier to start turning and stop turning. Given 2 different size wheels, 17" and 14" weighing exactly the same weight, the 14" wheel will be easier to accelerate and stop then the 17" wheel. It's one of those wierd laws of physics.

Now I'm not saying that these people around you understand this or are even doing it for this reason, I'm just giving you the reason why a real racer would do it.

Yella02-I promise I will return to you in one piece and this will stay up until I am safely home

Monday, April 11, 2005 5:09 PM

The original intent is to reduce rotational mass and shorten gearing, but these kids probably do it for the same reason you're getting a wing and body kit (they think it looks cool) .
I see lots of makes and models do this. It's not just (or all) Hondas.
Monday, April 11, 2005 5:49 PM
I'm going to disagree with you Saint. You really have to look at it in the bigger picture. In the end, the engine is accellerating 4 wheels and tires, no matter what. I know about the shorter gearing, but in reality, it doesn't matter what wheels the engine is driving. The need to over come that inertia is there, no matter if the driveshaft in connected to it or not.

O noes!
Monday, April 11, 2005 7:49 PM
so let me get this straight......
the use steelies on the front ( even though it looks retarded) with like 18s on the back...so what better gearing theyve gained has been lost in weight and rotation of the rear wheels...not to mention ITS RETARDED to drive around like that.....
and isnt this accomplished just as well by letting air out of your tires at the track....??? at least thats what ive always done ?????????

Monday, April 11, 2005 10:10 PM
Also some people are just so broke they can only buy 2 rims at a time and are so tasteless as to install just the two. generally its retarded no matter why its done cept for a drag day.

208whp 239wtq
13.7 @ 102mph 2.19 60'

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 2:00 AM
I do it when Im at the strip but I change the wheels at the strip.... I dont ride 17's anyways. If one tire goes flat on me I change all wheels.

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 2:58 AM
you think it's goofy to see cars with steelies on the front and rims on the rear?

around here, it's not uncommon to see imports with rims on the FRONT and steelies on the rear. no joke, i've seen it quite a few times. that will make you go

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 6:05 AM
gearing....??? unless your fitting 33's under your fenders i doubt it. with a bigger wheel you usually get a tire with less sidewall giving pretty much the same outside diameter tire.

they make snow tires in 17's i've got cooper weathermaster S/T2's 225/45/17, they rock it on solid ice.

my theory is (unless there are some big a$$ mickey's on the front) that these people are imitating the backwards bumper sticker clad racers that always have type-R JDM 13" rusted steelies on the front.

CAR GODS MADE THE 1.6 SOHC TO MAKE US 2.2 OHV GUYS FEEL BETTER.
Tuesday, April 12, 2005 7:32 AM
Supernoma wrote:Around here at least I only see that when people come back from the track, otherwise its 4 rims.

Im with you, thats how it is around here as well.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search