Cobalt SS dyno 215hp! - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cobalt SS dyno 215hp!
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 8:22 PM
http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2729

These cars are bad a$$! Not bad at all hu?

Re: Cobalt SS dyno 215hp!
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 8:33 PM
Just read that post over on CobaltSS.net

Those are some very nice numbers, especially considering its rated 205 at the crank and its putting down 215 to the wheels.

And Zinner's car is stock - I'm sure with a couple upgrades we'll be seeing some even better numbers, probably in the 230-240HP range

My CarDomain Page
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 9:45 PM
a guy here dynod at 197, so not all of them dyno 215 lets keep that in mind.
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 1:50 AM
Well there is also different variations that can affect dynoed hp ratings. Such as different model dyno's. Like a Mustang or a Dynojet. Ambient air temp in the shop. Brand of gasoline used, yes the brand of gasoline affects horsepower ratings. Miles on car, how the car was treated during the break in period. etc.

15.140 sec. @ 91.64 mph (autotragic)

RIP 1991 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 10-13-01
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 8:52 AM
honestly thats kind of sad really. Everyone gets all excited about the car dynoing at like 215WHP stock. Which is a nice number no doubt. But i mean a stock SRT4 dynos at like 215WHP, but they can touch high 13's stock, while the SS is only mid 14's stock at best.

2006 Black Cobalt SS Supercharged G85
13.91@102.77
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 9:11 AM
^^^with a CAI and a cat-back this guy on the redline forums is pulling 13.9's

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 9:44 AM
-JaysonZ24- wrote:honestly thats kind of sad really. Everyone gets all excited about the car dynoing at like 215WHP stock. Which is a nice number no doubt. But i mean a stock SRT4 dynos at like 215WHP, but they can touch high 13's stock, while the SS is only mid 14's stock at best.

that doesnt matter. the srt-4 makes a %*#& load of torque compared the the ss/redline.

-Adam

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 10:19 AM
212hp not 215 i wait for them to hit the tracks. not bad

19.2@104 2.0 60ft

does that work out? how many people actually read the sig....
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 11:01 AM
The neon is lighter I believe. The Cobalt has more ementies (sp) like moon roof, subwoofer, leather, that kinda stuff, it all weighs down the car.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 1:52 PM
Xman wrote:Well there is also different variations that can affect dynoed hp ratings. Such as different model dyno's. Like a Mustang or a Dynojet. Ambient air temp in the shop. Brand of gasoline used, yes the brand of gasoline affects horsepower ratings. Miles on car, how the car was treated during the break in period. etc.

So true. Every car and situation is different.

JCO EAST
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 5:46 PM
For the people that believe a local dyno over what factory rates.
Learn a little on how your local are not always accurate and numbers can be played with.
So we can stop with all this on dynos on any car already!

Learn here!!!

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 6:03 PM
^^^
and you should realize that sometimes a factory underates a car

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 6:22 PM
<< not impressed.....

THE GUY SURE LOOKS LIKE PLANT FOOD TO ME!!!

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 6:34 PM
gm doesnt have much reason to underated that car.

its a sport and power orientend vechile.

-Borsty
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 7:10 PM
Still good numbers...But who cares if the SRT-4 is faster or puts down more power out of the box...I'd much rather have my SS...I guess I am biased LOL!!!

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 7:14 PM
Borsty wrote:gm doesnt have much reason to underated that car.

its a sport and power orientend vechile.

and what was a gn?

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 7:58 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:For the people that believe a local dyno over what factory rates.
Learn a little on how your local are not always accurate and numbers can be played with.
So we can stop with all this on dynos on any car already!

Learn here!!!

You always have a stupid excuse. Shutup already, it gets old when you post that nonsense all the time.

It would be one thing if there was only one case of someone pulling 205-215HP at the wheels, but almost every Cobalt SS S/C so far has pulled those numbers. And theres no way that every dyno is that far off, its just retarded to even imply that. Unless of course theres some kind of conspiracy theory that only you are aware of

As for the article you posted - what do you know, it has just about ZERO to do with the topic of discussion here. I've read that article before, and its about how the newer, more complex vehicles will not put down accurate dyno numbers because the computer is too intelligent. It knows how much air should be coming at a set speed, and therefore it expects that much airflow. However, no vehicles in this price range have such a system, they are referring to the BMW M5 - so its of no relevance. The article merely advises people that dyno numbers tend to be lower than what people expect, since they measure the power at the wheels. Nowhere in the article does it state the BS that you keep repeating

Give it up already - the Cobalt SS S/C and Ion Redline's put down between 200-215HP at the wheels. You are just to ignorant to realize when you are wrong about something, and you have been wrong about the Cobalt since the beginning.

My CarDomain Page
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 8:51 PM
The 3rd gear numbers are a little high. Notice how the 4th gear pull only showed max whp of 203? It was just as I assumed when the one other guy started posting all over the net that his car dyno'ed 221 whp......too bad it was in 3rd gear.

Still good to see numbers over 200 whp

--------------------------------------------------
'97 Z24
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 8:58 PM
What are the gear ratio's for 3rd and 4th on the cobalt? Aren't you sopposed to use the one that is closest to 1:1 or something like that?

2006 Cobalt SS 2.4L 9.6 @74mph 1/8th mile w/2.28 60ft

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 9:18 PM
4th is the is the closest 1:1 for the Cobalt SS

I think its its 0.98:1

--------------------------------------------------
'97 Z24
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 9:33 PM
Wesman
Kid, before opening ur pu$$y hole mouth, read the article. Getting tired of ur bitching especially when the proof is obvious.
There have been so many numbers on this 2.0L, it is never consistent.
---
I will stand by what the car factories rate out, not by a local dyno says.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 10:00 PM
hey, at least it isnt a neon that has 4doors,burns/leaks oil,has TPS issues, boost leaking issues,some paint issues/engine recall's for 05, loud a$$ tires, coil pack gone bad, crappy plug wires/plugs,ugly wing, shift knob that falls off, oil pan cracking under hard launchs, crappy boost gauges, occassional water in cabin leaking, and random flywheel bolts coming loose and oil pumps going bad.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 10:49 PM
Jake wrote:hey, at least it isnt a neon that has 4doors,burns/leaks oil,has TPS issues, boost leaking issues,some paint issues/engine recall's for 05, loud a$$ tires, coil pack gone bad, crappy plug wires/plugs,ugly wing, shift knob that falls off, oil pan cracking under hard launchs, crappy boost gauges, occassional water in cabin leaking, and random flywheel bolts coming loose and oil pumps going bad.

LOL you drive a cavalier!!!!!!
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 11:35 PM
i happen to have a copy of motor trend in front of me with an srt4 vs. cobalt ss comparison...

MT's comparo put both cars down the 1/4 mile in 14.4... the srt4 trapped a bit higher though. the ss seems to have more punch off the line from the numbers MT posted up. curbweights are within 30 lbs or so of each other... they did comment that the last 2 srt's they had tested were about 1/2 second quicker down the 1/4 though.

still nice numbers for an engine supposedly rated at 205.

reasons for underrating an engine... insurance purposes... i dunno. you tell me. why did gm underrate the 454's in the early 70's? gm has been known to do it from time to time :shrug:

Thursday, June 02, 2005 12:18 AM
Man every posted related to the cobalt turns into a war , but here's the truth.

My best friend of 20 years dad is one of the main engineers for GM Performance Division. His dad mentioned that the stock ss motor is more in the 215-218 HP range rather than the quoted 205.

You may have seen the video in this forum of the new C6 Z06's, he was one of the engineers at the track that day testing.

Im sending my SS to him within a month for him to work on my motor, he claimed I can expect around 265 HP after he performs a reflash amongst other minor mods. The stock SS motor can wistand around 400 HP on factory internals. I'll keep you all posted believe me.

The ecotec is the next small block for Chevy, I don't care how many people bash me for that comment. The Ecotec is a reliable, consitant performer which reacts well to mods and race results and world records prove this. Believe the numbers.

The Cobalt SS has the best modifyable 4 cyl motor in the industry, and it is even more beefed up than the standard ecotec. Multiple SS owners have dynoed similar numbers, closer to what my friends dad who builds the motors had quoted to expect.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search