GM sells off Fuji industry (Subaru) - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
GM sells off Fuji industry (Subaru)
Thursday, October 06, 2005 9:19 AM
General Motors has sold its 20 percent stake in Fuji Heavy Industries to help streamline its business and raise cash, the Associated Press is reporting.
GM sold an 8.7 percent stake in Fuji to Toyota for about $315 million and plans to divest itself of the remaining 11.4 percent elsewhere.
GM said it dissolved its alliance with Fuji, which makes Subaru cars and other vehicles, because "there were not enough collaborative projects"
GM will make around $725 million from the sale of its entire share of Fuji. GM will continue work with Fuji on one production vehicle, the Saab 9-2X, GM said. But other projects will end.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: GM sells off Fuji industry (Subaru)
Thursday, October 06, 2005 10:16 AM
i think thats dumb...........I know they need the money but Subaru is making decent profits.

I ain't callin u a gold digga,but you ain't messin wit a broke cracka
Thursday, October 06, 2005 10:31 AM
bad idea.

-Borsty
Thursday, October 06, 2005 10:34 AM
Borsty wrote:bad idea.
x2

i think they should have bought more shares

other cars, better cars?
Thursday, October 06, 2005 11:28 AM
From the other perspective I'd have to say its fantastic for Subaru. They'll get some insight from a company who clearly has things together, that being Toyota. GM never really contributed anything to Subaru, at least interms of vehicle technology. It seemed pretty one sided if you ask me.

We all know the 9-2x is just a rebadged wrx wagon for the most part. I like the looks of it from some angles, not to mention the fact it can be had significantly cheaper, or at least could have especially during the incentives. That being said, i'd still pick the WRX wagon over it as long as the price difference wasn't too great.
Thursday, October 06, 2005 11:38 AM
^^^
that is because gm owned them not the other way around

other cars, better cars?
Thursday, October 06, 2005 3:13 PM
I too think it is FANTASTIC for Subaru.

The FATHER Subaru can be away from the GM Pain train and barnyard of idiots the better.

Toyota is a much better partner to share stakes in ones company with.

As for GM, stupid move. Subaru is on the up and up.

2004 WR Blue/silver STi
Cobb Stage II
12.69 @ 106.1mph 1.66 = 60ft
Thursday, October 06, 2005 3:17 PM
All Subaru knows is how to make very fast 4 door turbocharged cars. Who wants them anyways.

Thursday, October 06, 2005 4:06 PM
titus03 wrote:All Subaru knows is how to make very fast 4 door turbocharged cars. Who wants them anyways.
I'll take one...STI please!

I wonder when GM will sell off Isuzu?

Thursday, October 06, 2005 4:06 PM
titus03 wrote:All Subaru knows is how to make very fast 4 door turbocharged cars. Who wants them anyways.

Yeah, but the only thing GM makes worth a darn are trucks, corvettes, and some cadillacs.

I say good for Subaru, good for GM because they need the cash flow pretty bad.

Thursday, October 06, 2005 5:32 PM
Luke wrote:I too think it is FANTASTIC for Subaru.

The FATHER Subaru can be away from the GM Pain train and barnyard of idiots the better.

do you really think toyota is going to share their stuff w/ subaru?

other cars, better cars?

Thursday, October 06, 2005 7:49 PM
Sappy96 wrote:

Yeah, no kidding!! It won't be any different than it is now, idiot.
As far as I'm concerned it was a good move for GM, they need the money bad, and Subaru sucks anyways..

Red 2005 Saturn Ion-3 Coupe
Thursday, October 06, 2005 7:50 PM
no need for name calling

other cars, better cars?
Thursday, October 06, 2005 9:42 PM
toyota aint gonna start combining to make these awsome cars with them and let them use their technology.....

they will prob just team up and develop a car platform they will both use (or maybe the next gen tundra will have a subaru truck counterpart?) who knows but i doubt it will be much different then what that sabb wagon and the wrx is

Thursday, October 06, 2005 11:35 PM
I never said that toyota would start sharing R&D or parts with Subaru.

Its just a BETTER company to share stakes with.

I actually feel relieved with Subaru not having BIG ugly GM standing over them anymore. FORCING them to share with GM's other global partners.

2004 WR Blue/silver STi
Cobb Stage II
Friday, October 07, 2005 3:25 AM
but they dont share stakes

subaru has no money invested in toyota
toyota has the money invested in subaru

other cars, better cars?
Friday, October 07, 2005 5:32 AM
Who knows what will happen in terms of R&D, collaboration and such. GM obviously needs the money now in the short term. Maybe it is the best for them....who knows. Either way i am happy. I'd rather have backing from a company who isn't losing money every quarter consistently....even offering the employee discounting and having their sales up. Either way you look at it they are hurting.

Subaru may be a small company both sales and size wise compared to many other auto makers, but thats their strategy. They are able to bring cars which stir up a buzz no matter how you look at it. Were they the first to use turbo's in their cars...by no means. However, they marketed the wrx perfectly in my opinion. Without the success of that car, you would not have cars like the SRT, Cobalt SS, or ion redline...no doubt about it. They offered a car which had a fairly good complete package and was good in all weather conditions. Their AWD system is certainly one of the best in the industry. Not to mention its completely mechanical which means less expensive electronics to fix / replace. It doesn't appeal to everyone, but judging by not only the amount you see on the road, but the aftermarket support it was exactly what they set out to accomplish.
Friday, October 07, 2005 6:23 AM
More into details on this respect... .

General Motors is selling its 20 percent stake in Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd., maker of Subaru-brand cars. The move effectively is an admission that an alliance between the two companies has fizzled.

Toyota Motor Corp. is stepping in as Fuji's new alliance partner. It will pay about $302.6 million at current exchange rates, or 34.5 billion yen, to GM for 68 million shares, equal to an 8.7 percent stake in Fuji. Toyota will become Fuji's largest shareholder.

Fuji effectively will buy back the rest of GM's stake in it. GM said it would sell the remainder of its Fuji stock, 89 million shares, on the open market. At the same time, Fuji said it will buy back 90 million of its shares from the open market.

Toyota said it would not take a larger stake in Fuji, nor will it send someone to Fuji to replace Troy Clarke, GM's representative on the automaker's board, in order to avoid problems with Japan's Fair Trade Commission and Anti-Monopoly Law. Clarke and two senior GM executives working at Fuji resigned from the Japanese carmaker on Wednesday, effective immediately.

-Saab 9-6X stopped-

With the sale, Fuji and GM's Saab unit are halting development of the Saab 9-6X, a crossover vehicle based on the Subaru B9 Tribeca. Fuji will take a $43.9 million charge to cancel that program. Fuji President Kyoji Takenaka said the project was only one year along and was "still a long way from launch."

It is too early to say whether Toyota cars might be built at Fuji's underutilized U.S. assembly plant, Subaru Indiana Automotive Ltd., in West Lafayette, Ind., Takenaka said. "In the future, that potential can be discussed," he said.

Toyota and Fuji will set up a steering committee to explore areas for cooperation and collaboration, specifically in production and r&d.

GM will raise cash with the deal but book a loss on its ownership of Fuji.

GM purchased its stake in Fuji in December 1999 when the Japanese carmaker's shares were trading at about 900 yen a share. Toyota will pay 520 yen, or about $4.60, a share to buy the 8.7 percent stake from GM.

GM said it will take a paper loss of between $700 million and $800 million on the sale.

Mitsuo Kino@!#$a, Toyota's executive vice president for corporate planning, business development, and finance and accounting, said that after GM contacted Fuji about a sale of its stake, Fuji then contacted Toyota "a few months ago."

"We narrowly focused on Toyota" as a potential partner, Fuji's Takenaka said. One reason, he said, was that "the independence of management will be respected by both parties.

"Within the Toyota Group, we will be able to further hone the advantages and characteristics we have," he said.

Kino@!#$a said Toyota has heard "absolutely nothing" from GM regarding possible sales of shares in its other Japanese affiliates, Isuzu Motors Ltd. and Suzuki Motor Corp.

"Those tie-ups seem to be going on fairly well," he said.

-Why did Toyota buy?-

Analysts say there is no immediate and obvious reason for Toyota's interest in Fuji but suggested several long-term reasons.

They dismiss Toyota's praise of Subaru's all-wheel drive and horizontally opposed boxer engine technology. Toyota doesn't need the former, while the latter is incompatible with Toyota's product lineup, they say.

"It may be something invisible to us," says Kurt Sanger, auto analyst at Macquarie Securities. "Fuji Heavy has an interesting lithium-ion battery technology."

UBS Securities analyst Takaki Nakanishi said Toyota's stable of brands -- Toyota, Lexus, Scion, Hino and Daihatsu -- may not be sufficient for Toyota's long-term growth plans.

Nakanishi predicts that Toyota's involvement with Fuji will mirror its previous relations with subsidiaries Hino Motors Ltd. and Daihatsu Motor Co. He says Toyota will make itself invaluable to Subaru for technology, then send engineers and executives to the smaller carmaker, and years later take a majority stake.

Analysts do not expect GM to follow the Fuji sale by selling its 20 percent of Suzuki and its roughly 8 percent of Isuzu.

"Suzuki is a 1 trillion yen company," or $8.78 billion, said Kurt Sanger, auto analyst at Macquarie Securities. "Twenty percent of that is a big chunk of change."

He also ruled out a Toyota purchase of GM's stake in Isuzu. Combining Isuzu with truckmaker Hino Motors Ltd., owned 50.1 percent by Toyota, would run afoul of Japan's antitrust laws, Sanger said.

Plenty of challenges

In the short term, Toyota is taking a stake in a troubled carmaker.

Fuji has fallen behind its own restructuring schedule.

Sales of Subaru's newer cars, including the B9 Tribeca in the United States, are below target -- although through the first nine months of this year, Subaru's U.S. sales are up 5.1 percent to 144,788 units.

GM also provided Subaru with a marketing network for selling cars in China.

"If no one is really sponsoring Fuji Heavy's restructuring, they have a perception risk," analysts Nakanishi said. "People would worry they will go bankrupt."

Fuji's self-image undermined its alliance with GM.

Takenaka and other senior Fuji executives were convinced that the horizontally opposed engines used in Subarus were every bit as integral to the brand's identity as its use of all-wheel drive. That made platform sharing with Saab and other brands that use standard inline-4 or V-6 engines almost impossible.

Almost six years after GM and Subaru linked, they do not share a single platform. Fuji does rebadge the Subaru Impreza WRX as the Saab 9-2X.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Friday, October 07, 2005 3:54 PM
Sappy96 wrote:but they dont share stakes

WHY do you argue everything......and you are wrong.

If a business has a new "partner" buy into it.....they share the business. BOTH parties are mutually interested in businesses success.

SO Subaru's success = Toyota's profit....SO THEY SHARE INTEREST "stakes" in Subaru.

2004 WR Blue/silver STi
Cobb Stage II
Friday, October 07, 2005 5:27 PM
^^^ You seriously need to learn about the placement of the companies:

TOYOTA
|
SUBARU

Toyota OWNS part of Subaru. IF you want something FROM a company that you buy, you don't have to share back other parts. It's not a fair trade relationship... it's not a Partnership.. The largest share of Fuji Heavy's stock is OWNED by Toyota. Toyota has Control over Subaru.. There's no equality there.

If it's not network news, it's probably the truth getting out.

Some people are like slinkies: Not really good for anything,
but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them
down a flight of stairs.
Friday, October 07, 2005 6:55 PM
Luke wrote:
Sappy96 wrote:but they dont share stakes

WHY do you argue everything......and you are wrong.

If a business has a new "partner" buy into it.....they share the business. BOTH parties are mutually interested in businesses success.

SO Subaru's success = Toyota's profit....SO THEY SHARE INTEREST "stakes" in Subaru.

because i am right
and you always have to argue
so calm down

other cars, better cars?

Friday, October 07, 2005 7:14 PM
oh for joy another trade merger yippy

Monday, October 10, 2005 8:56 AM
You guys do realize that the chance of Cobalt's AWD project for 2008 could very well go out the window with the demise of Subbie.
No surprise...GM lost here... Again!

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 6:27 PM
Sappy96 wrote:

actually i know for a fact that Toyota and Subaru are sharing information. They are useing the info to make an AWD hybred. This has been in the works long before the merger and now is even more evident.

Subaru is certainly a company on the rise. Slowly but surely. Toyota is a great company to pair up with. Fuji also makes great batteries which is a HUGE part of the Hybred technology. So its smart for Toyota and Subaru all around.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 6:32 PM
what im saying is its a toyota take and subaru gives

and thats the last time i try to defend you luke

other cars, better cars?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search