1991 honda civic auto .. everything is stock - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1991 honda civic auto .. everything is stock
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 11:32 AM
WEL..... lol what can i say i bought the car for 200 bucks .... runs great interior excellent condition oh and the miles ... try 72000 miles .. awesome car . the price was great . well he is a friend thats y i got it so cheap . so i have a project car .. ha ha ..what can i do to make my litle civic dx faster? i know i will do a engine swap i just don't know if i will do the b 16 or b 18 .. and i am going all motor . and converting to a 5 speed cable style tranny . any help is greatly appreciated..

Re: 1991 honda civic auto .. everything is stock
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 12:18 PM
try Club Civic they are your best bets!

2004 Nissan Maxima SE w/ Elite Pkg
2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe w/ Sport Pkg
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 12:47 PM
Wow good pickup. I think that's the lowest number of miles I've ever heard of on an older Civic haha. It is a coupe, sedan, or hatch?

Rob

Sold 2/2/05
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 1:37 PM
For $200 that should be a great buy. I'd say huge aluminum spoiler, unpainted poorly-fitting "Evo" boydkit, 10" muffler, and chop them springs 4"...

If I were you I wouldnt bother with a swap on that car, and would just go intake/exhaust. Civics respond to catbacks very well, and maybe in the future you could put on either a VTEC or a 16v head (I'm assuming you have the SOHC engine)

www.honda-acura.net
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 1:38 PM
DX eh???? this is what u should do with it..
clicky here

-----------
ayo 8 Iz Enuff
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 1:43 PM
LMFAO! 212hp? That's insane.
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 3:00 PM
lol yeah i watched that video the other day .. its a sedan which i love cause now i can suprice people ha ha ha .. can't wait to get it " quick"
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 3:18 PM
J H wrote:For $200 that should be a great buy. I'd say huge aluminum spoiler, unpainted poorly-fitting "Evo" boydkit, 10" muffler, and chop them springs 4"...

If I were you I wouldnt bother with a swap on that car, and would just go intake/exhaust. Civics respond to catbacks very well, and maybe in the future you could put on either a VTEC or a 16v head (I'm assuming you have the SOHC engine)

www.honda-acura.net

are you kidding me??? the engine that the 91 comes in will not respond THAT well to boltons!! if you are gonna keep the engine, turbo at 6psi MAX under stock internals, and if you upgrade your connecting rods or even a d16 block, then higher boost is possible.

but your honda would do very well with a b16a - your car is light weight,and with 160hp it will move like a S.O.B B16 is a very stong engine, can handle boost for the future too (better than most d series)

it really depends on what your budget is, and what times you want to hit.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 3:24 PM
Yeah I would say stick with a B16 if you're going all motor or a D series if you want to boost for cheap. A B18 or K20 would be sweet, but they break the damn bank.

Rob

Sold 2/2/05
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 3:42 PM
i plan to hit 13's all motor .. it can be done i know it can be donw .. i can't wait .. lol i'm excited .. theres so many things u can do to this little car .
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 4:12 PM
you can hit 12's with a d16 bottom and the sohc head and boost, but it needs to be tuned very properly. b16's will prob get you into the low 15's and high 14's and with boost easily in the 13s.

either way i would recommend tuning using uberdata or hondadata.

good luck.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 5:25 PM
Go with a B16. Everyone is wanting to swap to B18's now so B16's are going cheap. You can hit low 14's with the swap and some good cams. Do your intake/exhaust/header and some cams and you'll be running good numbers.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 5:40 PM
First of all, you are lying. Wanna know why? There is no such thing as a stock '91 Honda Civic. They are all "modded" and beyond repair!

Seriously though, d16 has lower compression for boost. B16 is the way to go, lest you have the cash flow. Then b16 head, b18-20 block. Make the ole "Frankenstein" motor. Lots of oil flow issues with that set up. Definately do your homework. Everyone talks about how easy it is to mod a Civic, but in reality it's difficult to mod anything properly. Take your time and do it right...

Good luck...

Team GREEN
Suspension Division - "Handling Before Horsepower"
Making the turns since 1999
1998 EK Civic Hatch - Yes, it's a Honda.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 5:53 PM
lol i woulda had to agree with u on that there is no stock civic but i found one .. lol .. and i'm not gonna mix and match heads and blocks .. i will just go with a b16 and build it.
Wednesday, February 01, 2006 2:48 AM
the first thing i'd do is rip out the motor and tranny, and start with a manual 'lude motor.

beyond that, good luck - i don't know anything about hondas, aside from the INSANE amount of aftermarket support.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 12:52 AM
Rabbit(AKA RedAssassin) wrote:Go with a B16. Everyone is wanting to swap to B18's now so B16's are going cheap. You can hit low 14's with the swap and some good cams. Do your intake/exhaust/header and some cams and you'll be running good numbers.

there is a reason why people dont go with b16 they are geting hard to find i cant find a ob1 b16 tranny anymore and when i do its $1000canadian you best be is a b20 with a ls tranny message me if you need more info i deal with hondas all the time

Sunday, February 12, 2006 6:22 AM
I wouldn't use a LS tranny if you paid me. The gearing on those are so long and crappy.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 11:43 PM
Rabbit(AKA RedAssassin) wrote:I wouldn't use a LS tranny if you paid me. The gearing on those are so long and crappy.

well its better then paying $1000+ for a b16 tranny i can get ls trannys for $200 b16 is the best tranny for any motor but theres a downside to the b16 tranny it sucks for city and highway driving the rpm is hi for cruseing speeds

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 1:09 PM
B16 trans for $1,000... WTF?! I've got a $10 bill I'll sell you for $1,000. :-)

Check this crap out:

http://hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30001

Almost complete B16A swap for that car for $1,200 plus shipping. The only thing you'll need on top of that is mounts ($300 for Hasport, you can find them for WAY less on eBay) and wiring for a DPFI to MPFI conversion (www.rywire.com).

No matter what motor you swap into that DX you'll HAVE to do a DPFI to MPFI conversion. Right now your fuel injection system is set up for two fuel injectors and you'll have to wire it for 4. There are also some sensors that aren't present on the DPFI motors (some are inide the distributor - crank pos sensor, etc.). rywire.com makes kits to make this MUCH easier than doing it yourself (manually running wires to the ECU) so that's the route I suggest.

B and D Swap Tips:

* If you go with a B series engine don't get an LS trans if speed is important to you, they suck for anything but good gas mileage.

* A B16 swap in your car won't really be that fast because they've got so little torque. A B18A (non VTEC, Integra LS) swap is cheaper and for accelleration will feel a lot faster and be more fun. If you're going to build the motor at all, a B16 has WAY more aftermarket. Stock for stock I'd much rather have an LS swap with the increased torque at the expense of a few horsepower.

* Someone suggested a 16V head on your 8V motor - this won't work because your pistons don't have valve reliefs in them for 16 valves. Sorry. If you want to do that you'd have to swap pistons too - in which case you're better off just buying a whole 16V swap - it'll cost a lot less.

* If you go D series and SOHC VTEC swap, aside from the fact that you HAVE to wire DPFI to MPFI, you should convert from OBD0 to OBD1 and run a P28 OBD1 SOHC VTEC ECU. If you don't and do a ghetto swap where you activate VTEC with an RPM switch (don't laugh a lot of people do it) you'll see almost no gains from having VTEC. Along with just activating the VTEC solenoid, a real VTEC ECU also drastically changes the fuel maps and the ignition maps when VTEC is engaged. If you run a manual switch the ECU won't change anything and the whole setup will be pretty much worthless.

* If you get a D series swap you'll have to run a D series cable trans. You'll want a 90-91 Civic SI or CRX SI cable trans. They can be had for fairly cheap ($100 or so) if you look around. Notice I said 90-91... 88 transmissions are different - the clutch and flywheel they are designed to be used with is smaller and the output shaft on them has a different amount of teeth than ALL the rest of the D series stuff. Stay away from them. 89 is made for a smaller clutch/flywheel too even though the number of teeth are the same as the rest of the D series stuff. These will work ok, but I usually don't mess with them anyway... they're like the bastard D series cable trans. If you order a new clutch and flywheel (recommended) you'll want them from a 90+ Civic or CRX. Exedy is best, and make sure your kit comes with a new thrust bearing and flywheel bearing.

* If you get a D series swap the motor won't go in the car unless you swap the 88-91 Civic/CRX motor mount on to the timing belt side of the motor onto the new motor. The 88-91 mount is different from the 92+ D series mounts. This mount is bolted into the side of your block with two 17mm bolts and you have to take the timing belt cover off to get to them - CHANGING YOUR TIMING BELT WHILE YOU HAVE THE COVER OFF! $35 from Honda!

* For D series all mounts but the one above work stock for stock. For B series you'll have to buy special mounts.

* On any new swap, put in a new thermostat and swap out the timing belt and water pump for new ones while you have the motor out of the car. ALWAYS.

Turbo D series info...

* If you go D series turbo don't get an "XS Power" or "SS Auto Chrome" eBay kit because they're ghetto - the turbo WILL break and leak and the manifold WILL crack (sooner than later).

* If you go D series turbo, DO do an OBD0 to OBD1 conversion (harness at rywire.com) and go with a P28 OBDI VTEC ECU... and chip the ECU (moates.net has a kit for $12). DO NOT use a check valve (also called a "missing link") and a FMU. This is GHETTO, will kill your injectors, and will fail. Chipping an ECU is actually cheaper and is the "right" way to do it... you'll also getting the benefit of being able to tune your car and change some of your ECU parameters.

* DO NOT tune with Hondata - it's too expensive for what it's worth.

* DO NOT tune with Uberdata - although free, it's a ghetto ass program that's poorly written, crashes a lot, and I've known a lot of people to have problems with it's ROM burnin capabilities - and bad ROM burns can lead to burning up your ECU, your engine, or both.

* DO tune with Crome (www.tunewithcrome.com). It's easier to use than the other two, a much better program, and it's FREE. There is a $150 pay version available if you want to do real-time data logging through the ECU. Simple tuning and ROM burnin functionality is free. For a basline street tune the free version is all you'll need. Baseline maps can be downloaded free from www.PGMFI.org

* Anything you want to know about chipping Honda ECUs and tuning them for boost is here: www.PGMFI.org

* You can get chips, ROM burners, and ECU chipping kits here: www.moates.net

* You can go much faster with a lot less money by putting together a turbo kit and boosting a D series motor. My D of choice is the JDM D15B - which is essentially the 1.6L SOHC VTEC motor that we got (128hp) but only 1.5L and makes more power (130hp). These motors RULE for boost and you can boost 10psi through them STOCK with NO problems.

My brother is currently boosting 9-10psi through an all stock D15B with just an intake and cat-back and his car is awesome. We street tuned it with Crome and an AF gauge and the car is now set up pretty much as good as it could get without being dyno tuned.

You can score a MINT D15B swap from Hmotorsonline.com for $435 plus shipping (usually about $180 depending on whre you live).

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30019

Don't bother getting the optional $150 hydro transmission with the D15B because your car is set up for a cable trans. You can ask the guys at Hmotors if they have any 90-91 D series cable trans. You can convert your car from cable trans to hydro trans in order to use the newer D15B hydro trans (or other D series hydro trans) but it's not really worth the cost, it'll add weight, and you'll have to run a bunch of hydraulic lines. It's much easier and cheaper to use a cable D series trans.

When buying parts for the D15B (since we don't have them here in the states) - you'll want to use a timing belt and water pump off a 92-95 Civic VX. You'll want a water pump from a 92-95 Civic EX or SI. You'll want plugs/wires from a 92-95 Civic SI or EX. Thermostats are the same for all D series.

Any other head parts (cam/gear, etc.) are from a 1.6L D16Z6 (92-95 Civic SI/EX) and any block parts are from a 1.5L D15Z1 92-95 Civic VX.

Hope that info helps. :-) Good luck.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 6:39 PM
well i have a 1990 civic lx sedan 5-speed i'm giving away for free if anyone wants it. the interior is pretty mint the out side is ugly. all the paint is oxidized off. it's not pretty at all and would in fact make a sweet project.

Free.

Los Angeles ca.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Thursday, February 16, 2006 8:29 AM
Man I wish you weren't so far away. I want a 4 door EF so bad...

All the ones up here in MI are rusted to @!#$.

Thursday, February 16, 2006 10:01 AM
i64X wrote:Man I wish you weren't so far away. I want a 4 door EF so bad...

All the ones up here in MI are rusted to @!#$.

x2... I had an EF hatch and loved it, but then it died. I sold it to some kid in Iowa and he was going to bring it back to life, so it's all good

Rob

Sold 2/2/05
Thursday, February 16, 2006 10:13 AM
id clean the car up and sell it for more

Thursday, February 16, 2006 10:24 AM
skip the b16 and go for the b18 swap. several of my buddies had hatchs ranging from 93 up to the new 00 si and all but the si were given b18 swaps. im just bias to that motor

Thursday, February 16, 2006 11:24 AM
Which B18s?

I can think of 8 different B18s off the top of my head and some of those 8 are VERY different from the rest... ranging from 130hp to 200hp.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search